Pocket knife

cheers count, d2 blade and spring, Ti liners, forest green G10. pouch made by me hence a bit rough!! had it sharpened by a chap on british blades called Longstrider, you have to be carefull with it, the spring is a beast, and it wickedly sharp. but a fab knife, sec139a complient. got another on order;)

steve

If you are going to get things sharpened then finding someone who is OCD and has all the kit is always handy. From everything I've heard you should be able to shave with that and save yourself the price of a razor! This is a joke! Please don't throw your razors away and buy a Swiss Army Knife and a strop!

have you seen these videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOTXr2U0cU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3EB5VRUQQ

eye opening!

steve

I carry at least one of these with me most of the time. From top:

An old Victorinox Spartan SAK - always in my cycling rucksack.
Spyderco Honeybee - on my keyring.
Byrd Tern - basically a budget alternative to the popular and very desirable Spyderco UKPK that Jamie showed earlier in this thread.

pa011085.jpg

pa011087.jpg

Whoa, a Shing and with the Longstrider treatment! Now I can get a knife sharp and certainly sharp enough to shave the hairs off my arm with the absolute minimum of effort. But I don't think I could get it that sharp! For wood carving spoons and the like I mostly use 'Scandi-ground' knives with no secondary bevel which makes the edge easy to maintain. I have one of Longstrider's strops and together with the 'bloo poo/smurf poo' compound (Starkie's blue) it gives a wicked edge. But straight razor honing frightens me more than shaving with one!

Any knife that is a sharp as a razor would be of no real use to anyone, because that would mean the edge would be so fragile that the moment you made one cut you may as well throw the knife in the bin, that's why an ideal edge is around 20 degrees a combined 40 degrees, that's the whole point of owning and using a pocket knife the word utility edge springs to mind, now I own many razors and knives, and have honed more knives and razors than I care to think about with many of the well known super steels such as ATS 34 CPM S30V VG 10, and all of them will easily shave hairs off your arm, but that certainly does not mean they have a razors edge.

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Any knife that is a sharp as a razor would be of no real use to anyone, because that would mean the edge would be so fragile that the moment you made one cut you may as well throw the knife in the bin, that's why an ideal edge is around 20 degrees a combined 40 degrees, that's the whole point of owning and using a pocket knife the word utility edge springs to mind, now I own many razors and knives, and have honed more knives and razors than I care to think about with many of the well known super steels such as ATS 34 CPM S30V VG 10, and all of them will easily shave hairs off your arm, but that certainly does not mean they have a razors edge.

Jamie

not wrong there! for what its worth, Ian/longstrider has said that in the past he has honed/sharpend a piece of gfs at 90deg and taken arm hair off with that. tis all about the angle, on the few occasions i've honed my razors i "float" the blade above the skin and hair to see if it picks them up and cuts them, most of the shaving arm hair involves pressing the blade to the skin.
its also worth noting that ian puts a secondary convex on his edges, and i'm sure that many will also say that the steel used means nothing for edge retention if its not heat treated correctly
atb steve
new pic next week have to see what comes out the drawer!

Seeing as I've managed to tame my shaving-related acquisition disorders, it would appear that a vacancy has arisen for a new one. Thanks to this thread, I may be developing a pocket knife AD.

Here's the result: a Spyderco UKPK with drop point blade and blue FRN scales. Purchased from Heinnie Haynes (with their usual excellent service and next-day delivery). It feels great in the hand - its first task was to open a package of mountain bike components that arrived from the splendid cycling emporium Chain Reaction Cycles.

img4828t.jpg

img4820oq.jpg

The Spyderco knives are proven performers, always excellent ergonomics including the very useful one hand opening with the Spydie hole, a very good EDC UK legal carry pocket knife.

Jamie

Francorelli said:
Seeing as I've managed to tame my shaving-related acquisition disorders, it would appear that a vacancy has arisen for a new one. Thanks to this thread, I may be developing a pocket knife AD.

Here's the result: a Spyderco UKPK with drop point blade and blue FRN scales. Purchased from Heinnie Haynes (with their usual excellent service and next-day delivery). It feels great in the hand - its first task was to open a package of mountain bike components that arrived from the splendid cycling emporium Chain Reaction Cycles.

img4828t.jpg

img4820oq.jpg

pugh-the-special-one said:
The Spyderco knives are proven performers, always excellent ergonomics including the very useful one hand opening with the Spydie hole, a very good EDC UK legal carry pocket knife.

Jamie

Very true Jamie. In fact, it was your photo of the UKPK that reignited my interest in Spyderco knives. I also like the look of the Spyderco Squeak as a more compact EDC.

This is another I keep as back up, I've owned it for a number of years just looks to nice to carry around.
A Klotzli ACC-1 Carbon fiber scales with ATS 34 blade steel, and Michael Walker liner lock.

Jamie

Klotzli002.jpg

Klotzli001.jpg

Klotzli003.jpg

Back
Top Bottom