Pig Cat gets a straight!

Well another month has flown by and I am making further progress. Thanks to Neil I now own three straights; my original Dovo that he has overhauled, a basic but nifty little Helje and an Erik Anton Berg which I think was originally one of Mikael's. :icon_razz:

I'm now able to have a complete shave in around ten minutes. I still don't, and will probably never, go against the grain on my neck, but am having some success in other areas. My jaw line is still a bit tricky. Even with skin stretching I'm often left with too much stubble for my liking. Oh, and I find the bit below my left side-burn a pain as I keep nicking myself there. But apart from that I seem to have got the hang of things. I reckon my next purchase will be a better strop...and more straights...? :blush:

Well done and keep at it - it's very rewarding once you improve the technique a bit (at least this what I've discovered).

Of course no harm will be done if you alternate with DE shaving. As Fido says on face or bowl lathering, both worlds are good and depending on the mood!

fatboy1971 said:
well done p,c!! i alternate between my 3 straights:- wapi, joseph rodgers and gates and 3 gillettes:- fatboy, super adjustable and slim. i als.o dont go atg often, if rarely as dont like the sight of my own blood, lol.

Yes it's almost inevitable. Well it is the way I do it anyway!

I'm off to watch the vid of that German chap making mincemeat of his beard in three minutes flat. In fact it's worth showing again - here it is!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuuuvuOzB7U[/video]

No. He's not. He's an accomplished straight razor user, and his technique is mostly orthodox. Obviously there's a lot of showmanship in that video, but he certainly hasn't thrown all caution to the wind, and you can see that he's concentrating hard. I'm guessing that he gave his beard a good soaking before the camera started rolling: that's as time consuming as anything else.

Thanks to Google Translate I see his notes say that it was just a little pimple that he cut, and it didn't hurt. I just noticed that massive knife behind him which is also rather cool. :blush:

Actually I've just had a shave and, after saying I wouldn't try shaving my neck against the grain....er....I did! I had to challenge myself to have a go and it actually went rather well. No cuts and so far no irritation. I reckon if anyone saw the way I hold the razor they'd get a shock, but I seem to get decent results nonetheless. Really loving this straight razor shaving!! :icon_razz:

PS If I get another strop I will see about lending a razor plus my present strop out to somebody wanting to have a go. Watch this space.

The German chap is also obviously not scared of the blade - and that makes a big difference. Comes with practice - the first five years is the worst.....

Back
Top Bottom