Closed Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements pass around - DOC razor, Vloid soap & aftershave!

Package received today, thank you for the good packaging and extra blades plus Wickham samples. Will post these on to whoever is next on the list and add in a few items too. Initial impressions are not great, but as always YMMV, not lathered as yet and it may grow on me. The soap from the off I thought was a mix between sunscreen and Johnsons baby powder. The aftershave, what the hell! Menthol rating is off the chart. It is more concentrated than Alcolado Glacial. To my nose I get the same scent as Alcolado Glacial and Benylin dry cough syrup. A sweet somewhat violet/amber note does exist but its masked by the menthol well into its profile. The dry down is peaty.

Will still have a shave with it scents often develop, but not my favourite amongst Douglas' creations.

The razor looks lovely, good weight, grip and balance. I like the design of the OC head. Thanks again for organising this Ben.

Just read the scent description again (http://www.italianbarber.com/collections/creams-soaps/products/phoenix-artisan-accoutrements-shaving-soap-vloid) I do see where this is going but that 'lagoon breeze smell' is something I can't quite get. What is a lagoon smell?

I wasn't sure about the soap before lathering and I didn't like the a/s out of the bottle but the soap really grew on me, likewise the a/s settled down to what I felt was a nice amber scent settling down to a sweet woody smell. YMMV of course. Enjoy.

Reserve judgment until you have shaved Nishy, your opinion may change :) Make sure both feet are firmly on the ground when you slap on the aftershave!

Shaved today with the combo, I quite like the razor with an astra blade, the persona seemed a little too harsh inside. Soap is good in cushion and slickness but scent wasn't for me. I can see others liking it though.

With the aftershave, I can understand adding menthol to enhance scent profile, or to blow the burn off (alcolado glacial) but this tries to combine both and that would be nice but the scent isn't for me. I dont grt that nice woody dry down but a peaty/muddy tone and I showered??

Anyway YMMV and all that, whose next on the list?

Nishy said:
Shaved today with the combo, I quite like the razor with an astra blade, the persona seemed a little too harsh inside. Soap is good in cushion and slickness but scent wasn't for me. I can see others liking it though.

With the aftershave, I can understand adding menthol to enhance scent profile, or to blow the burn off (alcolado glacial) but this tries to combine both and that would be nice but the scent isn't for me. I dont grt that nice woody dry down but a peaty/muddy tone and I showered??

Anyway YMMV and all that, whose next on the list?

I think that's me.

Thanks for your thoughts Nishy! Interesting you felt the razor a touch harsh with a certain blade, just goes to show YMMV as always.

Thanks for making this easy so far guys!

No worries Ben, like I said, have great scented products from douglas this one is just not for me spot on with YMMV.

Definitely give this a try guys and get on the list will be posted out on Monday.

Early days for me and if I'm a bit too soon in jumping on the lending list, I'm more than happy to wait till I'm a little more settled and experienced.

But if it's not an issue I would love to give the DOC a try.

Ahh no problem then, I'll just have to go on recent comments and Youtube reviews, seriously considering this as my first new year purchase, a while off so I'll put this idea on the back burner for now.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Back
Top Bottom