Closed Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements pass around - DOC razor, Vloid soap & aftershave!

3 shaves this morning and 3 different combos.

Thought I'd see how the soap handled and stood up to using a straight razor. I tried blooming it a little when the brush soaked and then after loading had a quick swirl in a bowl to get the right consistency before face lathering. Certainly held better and seemed to have better volume. The slickness was excellent and of course the scent...phwoar.

The post shave feel is top notch for this soap. Even using this very unforgiving straight of mine, the skin was soft and didn't feel irritated after the 2 passes and didn't feel like I needed to quickly apply any post shave balm.

Proraso pre / post
PAA Vloid
Vintage Japanese wedge
Proraso pre / post

Very simple and yet such a lovely shave.

Shave 2, the DOC is very gentle when it needs to be especially on those very sensitive and delicate areas...

Wanted to see how it would be with another cream or soap. The TFFC soap has a nice thick lather and a very citrus / orange scent which seemed to match the scent of the bloomed Vloid puck that was sitting on the side. Only downside to the razor is that it does catch sometimes if the angle is wrong and the open comb digs into any fold or flap of skin. Suppose rather this than catching with the exposed blade.

Proraso pre / post cream
TFFC Ember
TOBS pure badger brush
PAA Double Open Comb razor
Rainbow blade (3)

Shave 3, the wife has the first experience with the DOC on her legs, she seemed impressed?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 13
Final shave with the soap post a night shift.

Great thick lather with a little blooming and the big floppy horse hair brush.

Tomorrow will be the final outing with the DOC before being posted to Will to enjoy. Thus far it has been a thumbs up for all aspects of the PAA range in this passaround.

Many thanks Ben

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_101005_1.jpg
    IMG_20150517_101005_1.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 8
Final shave and went for a methol theme as it is of course Monday?

White proraso pre / post
NSS Ice and a Slice
PAA DOC
Lord blade (1)
PAA Vloid AS
Nivea Creme

Don't wipe away a tear with the same hand you've just used for the AS. Just saying?

Thanks for the enabling as it has scratched that itch but made it worse now!

Attachments

• IMG_20150517_101218_1.jpg
    IMG_20150517_101218_1.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 12
Yeah, that aftershave is fierce, really sorts the men from the boys! Head over to Douglas' website and place an order before the soap police ban the importation of it ;)

Onemorepasswill is next up!

Had my first shave with the Vloid soap/splash and the DOC on Saturday night.

Firstly the DOC I felt was really mild but gave a really close shave, I got to the point were I was taking the mickey a bit , chucking it all over my face with wild abandon but fortunately I reigned myself in just enough before blood was seen. The soap I liked from a dry puck but I have to say I wasn't all that keen on the splash smelling it from the bottle. I think it's probably the overpowering smell of the menthol that masks the scent until you actually put it on. Once on, it settled down to a nice Barbershop type amber scent with an initial quite invigorating menthol kick then I felt I could get a light cedar smell which I enjoyed.

I've used it again this morning and I decided to swap out the handle for a standard Bulldog handle which I feel worked better with the DOC head. It's a very nice razor and one of those so far that I feel will really take a serious amount of scraping to cause any irritation or cuts. For me the handle is just a bit too light and short but the finish and the knurling is very nice. For the price of a DE 89 I'd feel happy adding it to my collection.

I'll post this out on Friday hopefully if not Monday to the next on the list, I think that's Nishy. If you want to PM me with your address I'll get it sent off to you.
This mornings shave below.

mZUwWdi.jpg

Apologies for that monstor sized picture, I'm still finding my feet with Imgur.

Ben88 said:
Thanks for your thoughts Will. Seems like we all like more weight in the handle?
Yeah that seems to be the only thing most people who have the razor would say they would possibly change with it. It's certainly does give a close shave very easily without irritation. I should know , just look at my name I post under ; I'm always just going a wee bit too far and crossing that line chasing the smoother shave particularly on my neck.
Thanks again for the opportunity.
Will

Back
Top Bottom