Closed Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements pass around - DOC razor, Vloid soap & aftershave!

Gentleman,

It has taken some organisation and a large amount of generosity from Douglas Smythe at Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements but I am pleased to be able to bring you this superb pass around.

It consists of the much talked about Phoenix double open comb razor as can be seen here :

http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/the-phoenix-dbl-oc-safety-razor

Currently they are out of stock but Douglas is due to have them back available in a week or so. I don't believe there are at present any vendors in the UK who stock these razors so now is the time to try one yourself! I bought one a few weeks back and can genuinely say its a great little razor, mild but efficient.

The soap and aftershave are Douglas' latest barbershop offering with a Viking twist! Our aftershave has been specially created for our own pass around with a little extra menthol....believe me, it will put hairs on your chest!

http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/vloid-the-shave-soap
http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/products/vloid-the-aftershave-cologne-with-aloe-alum-lite-menthol

The rules :

- Partakers must be an active part of the shaving community.
- The razor, soap and aftershave must be sent from one individual to another as one package. The package must be sent recorded delivery so it can be tracked with adequate insurance and safely packaged to prevent breakage (aftershave bottle is glass)
- Please be fair with your usage whilst trialling the products. I.e using the razor for a week is fine but using the aftershave every day for a week will impact on how long this can continue on for. A couple uses of the soap and or aftershave should be adequate and still allow as many people as possible to trial this wonderful stuff.

Finally, I would hope that as these products have been generously donated for the pass around by Douglas that you drop by his site http://phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com/ and check out his products. Part of his reason for this pass around also was to create artisan awareness, especially following the recent scandals!

I will keep a running list and orchestrate as per usual.

Enjoy guys!

1. Whosthedaddy
2. 1morepasswill
3. Nishy
4. Fly3k
5. NotTheStig

Man, if I lived in Limeyland or thereabouts I would sign up for a test drive. Those things intrigue me, both looks and performance wise. Supposed to be on the milder side, which is my meat.

Anyway, it's a very interesting offer from you and Douglas, Ben.

It arrived yesterday and collected this morning, ready for a shave in a bit.

Very well packaged, razor is very lightweight, AS smells nice, soap doesn't smell like the AS?

Thanks to Ben and Douglas in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20150513_063437_1.jpg
    IMG_20150513_063437_1.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 31
First impressions, very good.

I had some reservations about trying soaps, scents and hardware that have been raved about on the net as YMMV and all that but the chance to try something like the razor that's not available that easily in the UK is something not to be missed.

Scent, never tried a babershop before and I think the musky amber like scents will grow on me quite quickly. Although the scent on the soap is not too strong, it does last the shave which is nice. The large tins made loading easy but can see how it could get messy real fast. I didn't bloom the soap and just just a damp brush and it loaded well. Maybe need a little more next time as a little thin come the 3rd pass. Lather seemed more slick than cushioned but pasted easily with the brush and did exactly what it says on the tin.

The AS, I didn't find the menthol at first...then it hit me and made me cry for 5 - 10 mins afterwards. First time trying any real menthol, but once subsided it's left me feeling fresh faced.

The DOC handle was swapped straight away for the iKon bamboo for added length and weight. I'll give more thoughts on the razor over the next few days. Initial impressions are that it could be good as a travel or razor or one for sensitive skin?

PAA Vloid soap
Semogue 1305
PAA double OC razor head
Ikon Bamboo handle
Bolzano (3)
PAA Vloid AS
Nivea Creme

Attachments

• IMG_20150513_071934_1.jpg
    IMG_20150513_071934_1.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 22
WTD - I agree on the soap, the scent is a little different to the A/S splash. The size of the puck is something I really like....yes it does get messy as unlike jars provided by Tiki, Soap Commander or Razorock for example there is plenty of room for lather to spill over the edges. It doesn't bother me really as I tend to load quite dry anyway. Like you say, load up some more soap next time, it was a strong performer in all categories for me.

The aftershave, well I did warn you :D A super menthol hit!

Agree on the razor handle, very light and a heavier stainless steel handle gives it the required bite for me. Glad you like it!

I thought I'd more taken with the razor than anything but it's the power and long lasting scent of the AS that's impressed me at the moment? Wow, ignoring the menthol for a moment, hours later and walking outside I can still smell it? Got to be worth the price and then some?

How can we get the PAA scents in the UK due to no international shipping?

Whosthedaddy said:
I thought I'd more taken with the razor than anything but it's the power and long lasting scent of the AS that's impressed me at the moment? Wow, ignoring the menthol for a moment, hours later and walking outside I can still smell it? Got to be worth the price and then some?

How can we get the PAA scents in the UK due to no international shipping?

I kindly received the chocolate bourbon from Dipesh. I initially thought OK but now after a few uses love the stuff, so much so I acquired the matching soap.

Day 2 and shave 2

In short, loving the scent.

Tried the synthetic brush today and again need to try and get the amount off water needed just so. I had 2 shaves this morning, and second time loading the brush was better. The scent continues to last and couldn't help but be cheeky and had a tiny splash of AS to finish it off. I must stop sniffing the bottle when I go into the bathroom, it's not healthy.

The razor in standard form is as I thought very mild and tackled the most delicate areas with the care and attention they require.

Attachments

• IMG_20150513_195931_1.jpg
    IMG_20150513_195931_1.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom