Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

Thanks again to Derrick for hand delivering the razor and strop. I had a go with it last night and there was a lot of pulling and not much cutting. I think it was the angle and too dry a lather, I'll keep at it and see how I get on.

Mikael said:
Well, I think it's important to get more people on the list and now maybe even Dogy wants to have a go ... :D

What a great idea Uncle Mikey,

Yep, I certainly do wanna have to learn a whole new skill, starting with the fact it'll take me six months of screwing around before I start getting good, but not great shaves regularly. Another six months more before things come right every day. Sounds like heaven to me.

Please put me on the list for 2017, and thank you so much for considering my well being.

You Swedishers are a sweetly swell bunch,

Doggies

P.S. You are relentless....heh.

Okay, you're on the list Martini, the 17th of September 2012 it is then. It's never to late + don't you want the best possible shave (you have to agree that you want to find out... if it's true, which it is, you're missing out on something :))?

Mikael said:
Okay, you're on the list Martini, the 17th of September 2012 it is then. It's never to late + don't you want the best possible shave (you have to agree that you want to find out... if it's true, which it is, you're missing out on something :))?

What's doin Mikey,

Straights take lots of work to master, and then you gotta maintain em as well. I flat out don't have the motivation...plain and simple. Using a DE gives me a great shave, and the extra close feeling a straight can maybe provide just doesn't seem worth the effort. Plus, I'm not nuts.

Can't say I'll never give it a shot. I recently finally tried a SE, after only five years of blowing it off. Musta been peer pressure that made me try it, and the experience was as unpleasant as I thought it was gonna be.

So you never know. It's not that I don't already have a Norton and some other stones. I need a strop, but I think that's about all. Heh, I have a number of razors, so that's no problem. Just need em sharpened and some cleaned up a little bit.

Much as I appreciate your continued willingness to 'help', at this time I must decline your generous offer to push me down yet another rabbit hole.

Your Yankee buddy Marty

Oh yeah, here's a razor I noticed laying on the top of the straight pile. Looks to be never used or sharpened, Never hearda this brand, but then I don't know crap about straights. I was gonna use it for scraping the paint off some windows, or maybe do a little whittling (carving wood items). Yeah, that's on tap for this weekend.

Some kinda foreign name on the thing...... C V Heljestrand. Sounds Croation or maybe Pakistani. Maybe you hearda this guy.

Attachments

• cv heljestrand 005 (Small).jpg
    cv heljestrand 005 (Small).jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 22
  • cv heljestrand 003 (Small).jpg
    cv heljestrand 003 (Small).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 26
  • cv heljestrand 002 (Small).jpg
    cv heljestrand 002 (Small).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 18
  • cv heljestrand 001 (Small).jpg
    cv heljestrand 001 (Small).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 22
Ohh my! M has a Swede in ivory scales... errhh, I mean, that's one of those Pakistan razors you here about and everyone hates, I can take it of your hands and send you a carpet knife instead (yeah, I know, generous, but that's who I am).

On another note then :), if you send them to me I can lightly restore and hone them for you, you only pay postage ... :D

Last guy in line now, step up and be the next guy in your block that raises to the stars - "look, there walks that guy who straight shaves, cool dude, I wish all us pretty girls in the block, could sleep in his bed, at the same time" :D

Mikael said:
Last guy in line now, step up and be the next guy in your block that raises to the stars - "look, there walks that guy who straight shaves, cool dude, I wish all us pretty girls in the block, could sleep in his bed, at the same time" :D

That's exactly what happened to me when I started with straights, there's rarely any room left in my bed these days for my Mrs. I am upto 4 women a night in my bed. If I use a Filarmonica it jumps to 6!
Another side effect is you start getting younger instead of older, strange but true?
"Once you've used a straight you're always on a date"

Back
Top Bottom