Palmolive soap stick - how do you use it?

Fido said:
Does anyone still use this stick as intended by rubbing it on their face?

I still maintain the correct way of using it is to rub the wet stick on an upturned wet brush.

Rubbing it directly onto sharp whiskers will remove way too much soap and you'll have trouble getting the mix right.

I know someone who has used shaving sticks every single day for at least 30 years and that's how he uses them.

joe mcclaine said:
Fido said:

I still maintain the correct way of using it is to rub the wet stick on an upturned wet brush.

Rubbing it directly onto sharp whiskers will remove way too much soap and you'll have trouble getting the mix right.

I know someone who has used shaving sticks every single day for at least 30 years and that's how he uses them.

Never tried that. I'll give it a go.

Re: RE: Palmolive soap stick - how do you use it?

Fido said:

Yes.

I may try Vinny's suggestion for interest's sake. But straight on the face works a treat. I mostly use sticks when travelling with tiny brushes, or with real lather-eaters like the chubby 2; in both cases face makes more sense, I think.

Wet face, dip end of soap stick into hot water and apply to face. When I first started shaving I used the Boots shave sticks and used to hold them and try and work enough soap into the brush before applying the brush to the face - but there's simply not enough surface area to get a good amount of soap into a brush quickly. Palmolive and Erasmic are such cheap soaps that I don't bother that I might use more than necessary when rubbing the stick into the beard.

I can't see that there is one and only one way of using a shave stick. I grate mine and mash it into a ramekin. My grandad however, used to use it the way Joe describes. He only ever used palmolive stick and nothing else.

Mine is grated into a ramekin, well I have about 4 separate ones I've grated, Christ knows why, I got carried away.

I will try it as a stick, Vinny's way and how Fido stated in the original post. I tend to bowl lather so I guess how I normally do it is just easier for me, but I did face lather today and was very impressed.

Back
Top Bottom