P&B v OSP v Wickhams

I don't think anything was malicious just a healthy debate or expressing opinions. I would only strongly object if someone was slating an artisan, as a PM would be more mature :)

Another glorious shave this morning with Phoenix & Beau Citra Royale. Photo to follow. You know the desert island scenario where you can take one of something....this would be my soap.

EDIT - photo added:

View attachment 17173

I'm really after a nice citrusy scent. How would you compare this to Castle Forbes Lime in terms of performance & scent? To anyone who has tried the products?
Thanks

I'm really after a nice citrusy scent. How would you compare this to Castle Forbes Lime in terms of performance & scent? To anyone who has tried the products?
Thanks
I've not tried the Castle Forbes, but this is a very natural scent, and the woody undertones really shine through, particularly when face lathering. You won't regret purchasing it, in fact, as a personal guarantee, if you didn't like it, I'd happily buy the tub from you :)

As for performance, see that top mark on the chart, yeah, it's WAY above that.

I haven't had any inclination to pursue other soaps as I have the 4 UK artisan soaps: P&B, OSP, Wickham, and Nanny. There will be a time when I want to try a few from the States, but I'll use up what I have from these fine artisans.

I only have one hard soap, Haslinger Ringelblumen (Calendula), while not as easy to lather, has a great scent.

I've not tried the Castle Forbes, but this is a very natural scent, and the woody undertones really shine through, particularly when face lathering. You won't regret purchasing it, in fact, as a personal guarantee, if you didn't like it, I'd happily buy the tub from you :)

As for performance, see that top mark on the chart, yeah, it's WAY above that.
Thanks Nick, just got to wait for the restock!

Citra Royale and CF lime are very different profiles. Citra IMO is based more loosely on a citronella-cedar type base whereas CF lime is a sweeter starburst/opal fruit lime.

Performance wise, even though your looking at soap v cream the CF behaves more like a soap, being quite hard and what I believe to be quite a concentrated cream. Both yield excellent results. I have a bias towards tallow so prefer P&B also I detest sweet lime scents so it's a no brainer for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Citra Royale and CF lime are very different profiles. Citra IMO is based more loosely on a citronella-cedar type base whereas CF lime is a sweeter starburst/opal fruit lime.

Performance wise, even though your looking at soap v cream the CF behaves more like a soap, being quite hard and what I believe to be quite a concentrated cream. Both yield excellent results. I have a bias towards tallow so prefer P&B also I detest sweet lime scents so it's a no brainer for me.

I completely agree about CF Lime & the Opal Fruit comparison, that's exactly how I described it to a friend. My tastes also generally now lean towards tallow based soap. I'm maybe just a little bit concerned about the cedarwood, if I can just make another CF comparison, I sampled their cedarwood & sandalwood (glad I didn't buy a whole tub) and to me the balance was overwhelmingly cedarwood, I couldn't detect any sandalwood. It just smelt like a wet ashtray to me. I expect I can enjoy cedarwood if it isn't so overwhelmingly balanced towards that scent profile. How does this product rate in that regard?

With regards to Citra Royale its a lovely dirty earthy line no sweetness problems. The citrus is the predominant note throughout the shave the woody profile is pleasant it just enhances the lime, no wet ash tray or dominant wood tones.

Citra Royale a great shaving soap just not a favourite scent over here. Shoe polish was my first reaction when sniffing Citra Royale. Shoe polish echoed SWMBO after sniffing Citra Royale. Will try my unscented P&B with a tad of Lime KMF added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom