One Brush To Rule Them All?

No I match my soaps to certain brushes. But for an all rounder I would suggest a Shavemac DO1 2 band.
Keep an eye out we are planning a Shavemac group buy soon so they should be discounted with all the other hassle regarding knot size etc done for you.

I wouldn't know a good brush from a bad one and playing a bit ignorant here but isn't the function pretty well the same from one to another? Or are there differences which means there isn't the 'one brush to rule them all?' Or possibly why so many?
If by function, you mean getting lather on your face, then yes, all brushes perform that same function.

With badger brushes, there are so many variables that affect how they perform, it's scary. A person really does need to try a spread of about 5-10 different styles of brushes to get a feel for what they like and don't like.

Some people prefer a less dense, high lofted Silvertip, which results in a brush that tends to be 'floppy,' soft on the face, has good flow through, and works best with creams. When used with soaps, this style of brush takes a long time to load.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have brushes like the Shavemac D01 Two-Band, which are deep set, short lofted, densely packed, and have a very scrubby face feel. One of these will destroy (use up quickly) a soap puck, and is almost wasted on a cream.

Most people prefer brushes that fall somewhere in between these two extremes.

Greetings
Perhaps, but whatever it is you can be sure it will be different for just about everyone! beef pork or lamb? chicken or turkey? You get the idea. It's so hard to compare, the different types of hair are all so different with different plus and minus points. The only people who (IMHO) are just plain wrong are those who claim that only one type of knot is any good!
Regards
Dick.

One brush to rule them all?

No, I don't think so - think of brush ownership much like car or mobile phone purchasing.

We 'the majority of consumers' tend to change these items fairly frequently, perhaps as much as two or every three years. They'll obviously perform for a much longer period than that and no doubt do their jobs as they were intended but human nature dictates change or we seek to try out new or different things. It's how we are programmed.

I once owned a VW TDI Golf and it was just an all round solid vehicle, I loved it as a young man but my tastes have now changed.

iPhones are incredibly popular, I'm using one to type this as it happens - are they the best smart phone out there? I'm not so sure ... Well marketed, built & accessed I'd argue.

I've examined & tested brushes from just about every source on the planet - there are some beautiful choices out there.

Go enjoy! If you find 'that' brush, you are a better man than me.

One brush to rule them all?

No, I don't think so - think of brush ownership much like car or mobile phone purchasing.

We 'the majority of consumers' tend to change these items fairly frequently, perhaps as much as two or every three years. They'll obviously perform for a much longer period than that and no doubt do their jobs as they were intended but human nature dictates change or we seek to try out new or different things. It's how we are programmed.

I once owned a VW TDI Golf and it was just an all round solid vehicle, I loved it as a young man but my tastes have now changed.

iPhones are incredibly popular, I'm using one to type this as it happens - are they the best smart phone out there? I'm not so sure ... Well marketed, built & accessed I'd argue.

I've examined & tested brushes from just about every source on the planet - there are some beautiful choices out there.

Go enjoy! If you find 'that' brush, you are a better man than me.
Do you get a good lather from the iPhone? Just asking.

Of my 30 odd brushes - the one that sticks out is the Thater fan - 26mm in 2 band. I have the Shavemac group buy (bulb) that just does not hold enough lather. A Simpsons Chubby is a very nice brush but tends to hold on to lather a bit - probably user error here. Further down the list are restored brushes with knots from TGN and the Turners Workshop - absolutely nothing wrong with them and I'd be quite happy using them daily if I had nothing else. Lastly, a couple of long hair boars - great for a change. The single brush that I found unusable was a horse hair.

Just recieved synthetic - L'occitane Plisson- thx Whosethedaddy - wow! this brush is way softer to the touch than my Men-U synthetic. Anyone able to help me translate the softness of this synthetic to badger: pure - best - silvertip?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom