One Brush To Rule Them All?

Great to have variety ...

I can't abide badger in any form and I've tried a load of 'em of all sorts of quality. I do like blonde boar and I do like synthetic, especially the newer fibre like PurTech and Muhle; not necessarily the new new fibre like Plissoft.

I think my favourite brush is one I put together myself - it's the amphora handle from Vie Long that used to have a horse hair knot in it, now a PurTech knot settled down a bit making it a super face latherer.

I have a brush that is my favourite. I would be happy enough if for some reason this became my only brush. I am more happy however knowing I have 5 others that are pretty bloody nice too!!!!!

Hopefully, I can shortly start using my Kent MC4 on my face once the fuzz gets more populous. However, as we are obviously talking shaving brushes then if I could have but one then I'd pick a Simpsons Colonel X2L or Commodore X3. The handle of the Duke 3 would be too small, not because I've giant hands: I'm just used to large 'andles is all.

In an ideal world, I'd hand carve a handle from Yew and have Simpson's knot it for me in Best at 25mm. That'd be my Holy Grail plus one of @UKRob 's beautiful John Nowill straights (and the knowledge and experience to use the ruddy thing).

As far as styles and shapes go, Rod Neep's Dreadnought is a thing of true beauty plus the name is proper. A 26mm in extra dense silvertip with a Lignum Vitae handle would be quite summat.

Sorry, it's late and it would appear I'm in dreamland. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't know a good brush from a bad one and playing a bit ignorant here but isn't the function pretty well the same from one to another? Or are there differences which means there isn't the 'one brush to rule them all?' Or possibly why so many?

I wondered about that relationship, also. They don't look out of the ordinary, but £84 for a Duke D3 has me scratching my head. I thought the Shavemac offerings were much nicer, even if a bespoke brush would cost about £160!
Yes but a £84 Duke I'm guessing wouldn't be a Silvertip, a Best ?

Never tried a Simpson, intrigued as to whether the cost equals the quality

To me Simpsons are OK prices for the "best badger", providing you buy from outlets other than Simpsons. The Simpsons own site looks to be around the same price, but then you need to add 20% VAT! Also on other sites you often have % off vouchers, or sales which can make the prices OK, as the quality is very good IMHO.

I am absolutely fascinated by the SilverTips and Machurian brushes, as I simply cannot bring myself to pay that much for a shaving brush (new), and being out of my price range triggers my interest for some reason. I did buy one second hand, and that was still the most expensive brush I have ever bought! I do not believe that for these brushes the increase in cost equates to a similar increase in quality.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom