One Brush To Rule Them All?

Life will be too boring if I must use only one brush... But for a dessert island or travel I'll probably pick only two from my small collection (appart from other many I sold/exchange before).

-for a cheap one easily replaceable: Semogue 1438 boar 90% tops or other similar with the same knot. Really good boar brush: enough backbone, soft tips, keep enough lather for three passes and quick for break in.

- for whatever with more budget: Simpsons commodore x2 in Best. For my taste, the perfect balance between size, softness, backbone and design for an all-round brush, almost equally good for soaps and creams. The problem is that there are always small differences in knot size in Simpsons brushes, which means that frequently people have really different shaving experience depending on the knot... I have read many bad experiences about this model (too dense, too floppy...) so probably I was lucky with mine when I bought it...

Regards,

Definitely wait for this one Steve. If you want any help/suggestions as to the current range, in addition to compatibility with your current products feel free to PM myself.
I don't know how to use the PM function, but I'm considering designing one from the "Configurator". Ivory handle, 22mm knot, silvertip D01 2-band. To be honest I don't have a clue as to what this means, but it seems to be the favoured hair, etc. I guess for £140 or so it better be good.

I don't know how to use the PM function, but I'm considering designing one from the "Configurator". Ivory handle, 22mm knot, silvertip D01 2-band. To be honest I don't have a clue as to what this means, but it seems to be the favoured hair, etc. I guess for £140 or so it better be good.
I would strongly suggest a wider knot and depending on this figure the loft height is crucial. Ivory is a nice colour and handle shape is very much a personal choice.

In all honesty I couldn't recommend you a shape you need to try them all in order to ascertain a preference. Without getting too deep into it IMO a bulb is better at 1:2 and a fan lower. Flat is the best aesthetically, not performance again all IMO.

Okay. 26/54 bulb silvertip D01 2-Band. Thank you so much. Can't wait!
No problem I hope you like the new brush, once again if you are willing to wait a couple of months we will have a group buy organised (hopefully) which should be further discounted. If you are looking for pure soft tips (out the box) with great backbone just go for the silvertip 2 band not the DO1 2band.

What about the knot shape?
For knots larger than 24 mm I like the bulb-shaped knot. I find this shape with a larger knot gives me more control than a fan-shape (I face lather exclusively). In addition, a fan-shaped knot blooms/splays too much and feels as though it will smother me. Conversely, in smaller knots, i.e. those in the 20-24 mm range, I'm happy with either a fan or bulb.

How wide a knot? How high the loft? How does the Thater 4125 2-band stack up?
I personally would go 26/54 in DO1 2 band. It will have much much more backbone than the Thater, it won't be as soft out the box if ordered generically and it will take around 15 uses to fully bloom and soften.

If you ask a question on here you should expect to get different opinions. In mine - the Thater is much better value than Shavemac, and will have just as much backbone. The fan is a great shape - much more like a standard shape than the Shavemac bulb - which in my opinion is much too bulb shaped to make a decent brush. Hope that clarifies things for you. If not, you could always hold off and spend less money deciding what suits you before spending 200 euros on a brush.

I don't know that I'll be any wiser in a few months, but I'll hold off until the group buy. I'll go back and check out the Thater. We used to have these commercials in the States where ex-football players would argue the relative merits of Budweiser and Bud Lite. One side maintaining that the original was best because of "more taste", and the other adamant that the Lite beer was best because it was "less filling". I can see I'm going to need more than one brush. Just don't tell my wife.

Yes unfortunately it is trial and error, also totally user opinion. Currently the opinion amongst current owners across forums is that Shavemac are producing the best brushes. Another useful option is BST to sell a brush that you don't get on with.

Back
Top Bottom