Non Russian made alternatives to Gillette Yellows?

AFAIK all the Gillette Yellows currently sold are Russian made.

In terms of non Russian Gillette blades I think the Indian made ones go under the radar, the Gillette Wilkinson Sword is a perfectly functional blade, the 365 is very good, whilst the 7 Black and the Winner Platinum blades are exceptional. Of those there I think the 365 might perform the most like that 7 Yellow. I think the 7 Black is the pick of all current Gillette blades.

The MIC made Gillette Super Blue is an excellent blade as well.

There are other blades not made by Gillette which I like Wilkinson Sword/Personna Platinum Chrome (Germany), Personna Lab Blue (USA), Dorco Titan (Vietnam), and multiple blades from Lord (Egypt), Supermax (India), and Treet (Pakistan).

But as ever YMMV.
What’s Your thoughts on the Gillette Super Thins ?
From Thailand

Is Gillette Russia committing war crimes or something?
Not at all, they just make razor blades. P&G make razor blades (as well as many other products.) They make profit as a result, they get taxed by the Russian government. The Russian government then spends this tax income on purposes that I do not agree with. I'm hardly going to put a substantial dent in the Russian coffers but it's not about that for me. I chose not to buy South African products during the Apartheid era, I choose not to buy Israeli products (so Personna blades are out) as I do not agree with the behaviour of their government, I now choose not to buy Russian products.

Where does one draw the line though? America and Britain have acted very dubiously over the years, do I stop using my vintage English blades due to our involvement in Aden?
There's also blade producers in Vietnam, China and Thailand who exploit workers and to all intents use slave labour.
The world is not a nice place, I wasn't particularly having a dig.

Where does one draw the line though? America and Britain have acted very dubiously over the years, do I stop using my vintage English blades due to our involvement in Aden?
There's also blade producers in Vietnam, China and Thailand who exploit workers and to all intents use slave labour.
The world is not a nice place, I wasn't particularly having a dig.
I didn’t for one minute think you were having a dig. You asked a question and I answered it.

Draw your line where your conscience allows you to draw it. I have drawn mine.

In a global economy it is nigh on impossible to be a 100% traceably ethical consumer. Most countries have done wrong at some point. I admire the effort and agree with the sentiment. How far you take it is down to the individual ultimately. Even with straight razors you still have to buy soap, which even if its vegan might have palm oil in it, maybe hope that the scales aren't ivory if you are against that (even though most that are will have been made over 100 years ago so it won't save an elephant but it still counts. I would consider a vintage razor in original ivory scales as I don't think it fuels demand for more, but could be convinced otherwise). Are Solingen ground blades ok now? For me yes, I have many German friends, most of whom apologised to me for WWII when I lived over there even though they were also not even born at that time. For other people, the answer may legitimately be no for all eternity. It's so personal.

It's good to think about these things but as for where to draw the line, well there's no one answer to that. Fair play to all, wherever your personal line is. A gesture of good intent is always worthwhile. I actually have wondered whether to remove the Voskhod from my razor. If I do it will benefit only me in my mind though, so I still may. I met a couple in my local last Friday, she was Russian but born in Ukraine, he was Ukrainian but with family in Russia. They are 2 individuals in love, across the barricades, and neither want this chaos.

The waters are far from clear though. Respect to anyone even weighing it up in their mind. Ultimately regardless of what you decide, giving it consideration is probably the point.

Last edited:
I have many German friends, most of whom apologised to me for WWII even though they were also not even born at that time.
Being German myself I have never apologised for WWII, because I wasn't born and my parents were toddlers.
I have however thanked British veterans personally for helping to liberate my country and I try to make sure the terrible crimes of the Nazis are not forgotten. Rotten bastards.
As for blades: I'm lucky. I use mostly SE blades (y)
If I decide not to buy blades made in the US, China or Japan I'll have a problem.
Bloody Germans can't make SE blades!

Genau das habe ich den allen gesagt. Weder ich noch ihr war zu der Zeit sogar angedacht, und schon lange nicht geboren, also habt ihr meinetwegen nichts zu entschuldigen, ausserdem wer bin ich, jemanden für so was entschuldigen zu können?

Damit war das Thema durch, und wir bestellten uns noch eine Runde.

Last edited:
I didn’t for one minute think you were having a dig. You asked a question and I answered it.

Draw your line where your conscience allows you to draw it. I have drawn mine.
Yea, this will probably be deleted and my account cancelled. But (Edit: - Deleted and account NOT cancelled).

Last edited by a moderator:
Not at all, they just make razor blades. P&G make razor blades (as well as many other products.) They make profit as a result, they get taxed by the Russian government. The Russian government then spends this tax income on purposes that I do not agree with. I'm hardly going to put a substantial dent in the Russian coffers but it's not about that for me. I chose not to buy South African products during the Apartheid era, I choose not to buy Israeli products (so Personna blades are out) as I do not agree with the behaviour of their government, I now choose not to buy Russian products.
I currently use Russian blade, Gillette Nacet. Should I boycott them. Well, no. That wouldn't help the UK supplier. The UK supplier would've already paid for them and sent the money to Russia, or where ever. The potential issue, for me, is will they get anymore once supplies run out. If we and many other countries no longer import from Russia due to not being able to send payment via the banking system. Would there now be panic buying on remaining stocks of Russian blades or a boycott of them.

Back
Top Bottom