Move over R41, Tradere is here!

What are the 'symptoms' of the problem, Lindy? Burn, rash, irritation, cuts, nicks?

Instead of starting with handle at 90 degs to your skin, I'd make contact on the ends of the comb teeth - handle parallel to your skin - and then lift the handle till you find the sweet range, which is quite an arc.

Are you over-thinking this instead of just shaving?

I didn't try the washer yet.

Bechet, I got a BBS shave with 2 passes, no touchups today. Still lots of nicks and weepers and irritation as if I had scraped my face. I tried more and wetter lather, shorter strokes and Weber bullgoose handle and some of the holds in the photo links. I'll try it from the comb to blade instead of head to blade for angle tomorrow.

I wasn't overthinking until I had several awful shaves in a row. I've never had to think about any DE or SE razors shaving technique until now with the Tradere.

ishmael said:
Lindy, I take it the washer did not help.

What size washer was that again?

Congratulations on the BBS, Lindy - even with lots of nicks and weepers and irritation. All those symptoms spell heavy handedness to me and/or too sharp a blade. I've not gone beyond my 'home' blade, which I use as a standard to test new razors and to rest my face/skin if I've had 'symptoms'. That's a 7 O'c green for me, new blade.

Btb, I used an early Tech this morning and reckon the angle I used is seven or eight (more than five, less than ten) degrees lower than with a Tradere.

I'm curious about this washer you and Ishmael are talking about. Where and what for?

Bech I wondered if you could give the blade a little angle by placing a number 10 washer under the blade before you the whole assemble the head. Its an idea. You can get such a washer for next to nothing. If It works I spend a few more cents on a stainless one so you do not spot the stainless.

Cracked it!!

The choice this morning was between safety and comfort - use up the blade in the Stahly head - or take a risk - see if anything I've learned with the Tradere will inform my use of the Cobra. It was the Stahly all the way until my hand picked up the Cobra.

Still don't like its morror chrome back face, still don't like the triangular handle - so with bone dry hands (and a tissue to ensure it, as required) and an even lighter touch carried over from the Tradere - I cracked the Cobra! A three pass BBS shave with only teensy weepers going ATG on the wings of my moustache. How delighted am I?? HUGELY!

As well as taming a Cobra, I feel like my technique has taken a giant leap forward - all sorts of bits and pieces of learning from DEs and straights came together in one place at one time!

This makes my Tradere even better value for money!!

That's the way to do it Bro Bechet !!! Always goodly when things start to cohere. Whilst everyday use with the Cobra doesn't suit my skin, it's a preferred option for going out or special occasions. Things can only improve from here on in.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Have you tried Ishmael's washer under the blade yet? I reckon only a Lecky could think of sticking a washer atop $150 buck's worth of machined stainless steel bed, bless 'em!

I sailed with my favourite Lecky in a New Build. Seven days in a row he noticed the strange coincidence that when he switched out the light in the Middles phone booth, the main engine would stop. We spent hours looking for the reason for the sudden stoppages, always about knocking off time. On the eighth day he sidled up to me and said, "I know it's silly but ......." Some shipyard Sparks, as they call them ashore, had taken a power supply from a main engine control circuit!!!!!!! That cost him a few cases! Of beer.

lindyhop66 said:
Bechet, you are the pioneer for us on the edge of buying and trying these razors. I've been debating buying the Cobra for a while. My Tradere technique is improving with yours and Richard of Tradere's help. Thanks.

The greatest buzz is from the steepest learning curve.

I admire your tenacity, Lindy - we all know you'll get there!

Well, shave number 6 or 7 was better. The Rapira Platinum was a smoother choice blade. I toggled between head and comb teeth to get the angle and even stretched the skin in places. At one point I had the perfect angle where I felt no blade but was cutting down the whiskers. It's not second nature yet, but I will get there.

Next test is trying the shavettes again.

ajc347 said:
Am I reading your post right when I believe that your saying that the Tradere is, in your experience, more aggressive than a R41?

If so, then it sounds that it s a beast of a razor. :)

I had an R41 cold water shave this morning and have to re-visit my comparision with a Tradere. All imo -

The R41, as we all know, is an aggressive razor - I had forgotten how uncomfortable it is to shave with one. Perfectly possible, just lacking comfort - so much so that I switched heads to an R89 for the last pass and purred all the way home.

The Tradere is not aggressive - gives a very close shave and needs attention, but is comfortable to use.

That seems to make my definition of aggressiveness to include a lack of comfort, which I'm happy with.

I have put the Tradere aside 3 times now and thought it was for good. I shaved a 2 days growth at midnight tonight using the EJ89L handle and the Tradere head. I used a full fingers grip and lightly pinching under the head. I face lathered some C G Bigelow Eucalyptus, used a very low angle (finding it the way Carl had suggested, tilting back from comb teeth), with very short slow strokes.

I could have stopped with 2 passes, one WTG and next ATG, but felt some minor touchup under the chin was needed, so I did a full third pass ATG. With this shave, I got a BBS shave and only one nick under the nose on the final pass, because I started speeding up. I finished up with Thayers Witch Hazel and some Vitos Pre Post shave and Dreadnaught Aftershave Balm.

Also, of note, my face feels smooth and comfortable and not scraped as it had in the past with the Tradere. I'm really glad I didn't sell the Tradere or leave it closed up in the cabinet collecting dust.

Yeah! Lindy! Well done that man! Your grip sounds crazy to me but what the hell! You did it! Are you going to try with the Tradere handle as well - the full Monty? I am delighted for you!

Yes, the Tradere handle is the next challenge. It makes this the heaviest razor I have and not as easy to make light easy short strokes. But yes, that's the next step.

I think I kept varying the grip as I went along. I will have to pay more attention next time.

Back
Top Bottom