Move over R41, Tradere is here!

What a beautiful piece of shaving kit! My Tradere has just arrived - VAT free I'm delighted to report - and with all that has been said about aggressiveness and being sold on, I just had to look at the shaving geometry. Yeowww! What were they thinking? A great big 90 deg corner where the blade will protrude - there's no protection. So I had to fit a blade and it is so - a length of well exposed blade, nowt between you and it except getting the angle right. Looks like a choice between pulling the whiskers off through the open comb or slicing them off with the razor on its back and the open comb for decoration. Anywhere between looks decidedly dangerous!

This is going to make the R41 look like it was designed for pussycats and boy beginners!

Mum! Mum! Is it morning yet? Dad!

My Stahly head also arrived today. More than a tad manky but it looks like it will be good for the days of recovery after a Tradere learning shave. It's enjoying an ultrasonic jacuzzi with a Gillette New at the moment - they seem to be getting along famously.

I'll be really interested to hear how you get on with the Tradere Carl.

I've got a Tradere handle mated with an R41 head and it makes for a really aggressive head shaver.

Bechet45 said:
What a beautiful piece of shaving kit! My Tradere has just arrived -
This is going to make the R41 look like it was designed for pussycats and boy beginners!

My Stahly head also arrived today. More than a tad manky

What's up Carl,

Manky? The hell.......now you're using Scotch words? Yeah, I hadda look the silly thing up.

Well with any luck it'll clean up ok. The heads chrome plated I think, and should be pretty shiny when it's done in the bathtub.

Oh, that other razor you just got sounds swell! I look forward to hearing about it's antics on your face.

ishmael said:
OK excuse the question whats a Stahly? I have heard the tredere is a monster! I am thinking of a handle however.

Hi there,

Sorry I don't have any pics on this machine to skip those 10,000 words, but I'll make it fast as I can.

The Stahly is a vibrating razor with a huge clunky handle. The head screws off and will fit on many razor handles. I use my Stahly with a long Weber handle (Webly) and it's one of my favorite set ups.

The head's on the milder side......not nearly as much bite as say an open comb type. To me it's kinda like a Tech head on steroids that's a great fit for my face.

Martin

ishmael said:
OK excuse the question whats a Stahly? I have heard the tredere is a monster! I am thinking of a handle however.

A Stahly is a gizmo razor from the days of recent yore. I cannot imagine how they worked other than hold them to your face and the head reciprocates vertically. They come with a huge, vast, enormous handle containing the electrric drive part - or were they clockwork? Anyway, the head from one of these things reputedly gives a very fine and mellow shave when put on a DE handle. Dodgy is the man to tell you.

I got my head from a seized Stahly so it was suitably cheap.

Go to ebay.com and search 'Stahly' - you'll see.

The Tradere handle is a beaut, no question - but the head is equally good looking. I've tried the handle on a variety of heads and it took them all.

The morning will reveal whether or not it is a beautiful monster for me - and I must leave a bit for the Stahly head, too.

Oh! dodgy posted while I was typing. Yea man - the Stahly head cleaned up very nicely - even the lateral springs decided to play in the end, once the gunge and crud was removed. Why would you want a blade to vibrate sideways whilst it was also moving up and down under power? I shall soon find out what you like about them so much.......

Bechet45 said:
Oh! dodgy posted while I was typing. Yea man - the Stahly head cleaned up very nicely - even the lateral springs decided to play in the end, once the gunge and crud was removed. Why would you want a blade to vibrate sideways whilst it was also moving up and down under power? I shall soon find out what you like about them so much.......

Before I forget and just to be on the safe side, watch how the blade lines up when the head's being tightened down. I make a habit of doing that with all three piecers now, especially any foreign or old or unusual head types. Heh, you don't wanna be shaving with a 'slant' and not know it.

I actually used the complete razor, with vibrating head and all. Surprisingly, the vibrations didn't hurt the shave at all. I can't say it added anything, but the risk of cuts wasn't there (although I initially figured it would be).

The mechanism had to be wound multiple times during the shave and was sorta a pain with wet hands. Heh, the thing froze up after the second shave, so that fixed that just fine.

Martin

Oh yeah, you might like to start off with a very sharp blade, but it's your call of course.

Thanks you! Ill look for one on ebay! Like you say a picture is worth 10000 words!

WOW what a handle! price all over the place. Ill try for one of the cheaper ones!

ishmael said:
WOW what a handle! price all over the place. Ill try for one of the cheaper ones!

You're right about prices having a wide range. Best thing's to try and look for one like Carl snagged. Froze up and no box is what you're trying to find.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Found a few 'Webly' pics:

Attachments

• Weber 004 (Small).jpg
    Weber 004 (Small).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Weber 002 (Small).jpg
    Weber 002 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
Manky? The hell.......now you're using Scotch words? Yeah, I hadda look the silly thing up.

Manky ............................. "Mawkit in the extreme." And yes, that is how we grunt to each other where I grew up.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

A couple of vertical runs with the Stahly to start the second pass were all that I managed - felt good, easy and smooth with just a whisper of bite. I look forward to the full monty.

But the Tradere! Star of this morning's show! What a razor and then some - fantastic kit! It's very beautiful to look at and to handle and it's just as beautiful to shave with! Carefully for now!

If you put a Tech razor at the left hand end of a spectrum and straight shaving at the right, then put all your razors along that line where ever they belong for you, then put an R41 in its rightful place, add a slant or two - and we have a measure. I'd say the Tradere belongs to the right of the slants and of the R41 by a couple or three places but well to the left of a Cobra.

Shows you what I know about razor head geometry! The Tradere should no more shave that bumble bees fly, and yet it does - superbly. A straight downward stroke from my right sideburn blew away all the trepidation about it being a monster - in fact, by the time I switched to the other side of my face I had to remind myself to take it slow and easy. Without doubt, it would punish a heavy hand or sloppy technique - there is a lot of unprotected, exposed blade - but it rewards lightness of touch, steady progress and a balanced hand. I was using the open comb so a fairly steep blade angle. I tried putting it on its back but the action became slicing - took off a micron or two of skin over the top of a cheek bone that way. I reckon I was using 40 - 45 degrees and laying back a little for sensitive areas.

It was a close shave and I didn't fancy alum or alcohol but there was no blood and no irritation. I guess it'll get smoother with practice. I'd say it is a weekend razor but when I compare my straight shaving with Mikael's I can see that I'll get smoother and easier with the Tradere.

Compared to a Weber? Different beasts. For a fantastic, economical all-stainless every day shave? Weber. For fun and challenge and technique improvement - and a bone dry close shave? Tradere.

Addition: In case it makes a large difference - this was a cold water shave.

Wow!!!

Sounds like it worked really well for you Carl. :)

Am I reading your post right when I believe that your saying that the Tradere is, in your experience, more aggressive than a R41?

If so, then it sounds that it s a beast of a razor. :)

ajc347 said:
Am I reading your post right when I believe that your saying that the Tradere is, in your experience, more aggressive than a R41?

If so, then it sounds that it s a beast of a razor. :)

Hmmmmmmm! I'm saying that it is more like straight shaving than an R41 in that there is a lot of exposed blade. If you use a straight or a Tradere without due care and attention, or with a heavy hand, you will get a bad result - as with the R41, only it's easier to get a bad result. It shaves very, very closely.

I am afraid it will get a reputation as an aggressive razor - but only because some people will not take enough care. It's the owner that makes a dog aggressive and I suspect it is the same with a Tradere.

Having said all that and reminding you that I am only one shave in, I guess lots of people may have a problem with the long handle. It suits me all the way and is, imo, a necessary part of the razor's design - it permits you to achieve an easy balance with the heavy head, so it's like an automatic weight reducer and enables the lightness of touch that is needed. That flare on the end? Extra ballast to permit balance - as well as looking good.

I did very little skin stretching with my fingers but a great deal with facial contortions. There is probably a technique to develop wherein the razor is landed on your face on the ends of the open comb teeth and then the handle 'lifted' to the correct angle and blade contact - speed things up a bit - rather than the delicate landings I used.

I know - rather than saying aggressive, I'd say it pushes the boundaries.

Thanks for clarifying that Carl.

I'm really sold on the handle - it's one of the best designed handles I've ever used.

I look forward to hearing if you find things any different a few shaves in. :)

Two threads in one, is this!

Photos of the Stahly head.....

It finished up making the Muhle head homeless by ousting it from the Rod Neep extra long handle - looks and feels good there, I think.

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

In the last one you can see the leaf springs, counter mounted, that permit lateral movement of the centre piece of the head and thus of the blade edge across your face. Why you would want that with the whole head whizzing up and down, I cannot think (I have no idea about length or speed of stroke).

Bechet45 said:
But the Tradere! Star of this morning's show! What a razor and then some - fantastic kit! It's very beautiful to look at and to handle and it's just as beautiful to shave with! Carefully for now!

If you put a Tech razor at the left hand end of a spectrum and straight shaving at the right, then put all your razors along that line where ever they belong for you, then put an R41 in its rightful place, add a slant or two - and we have a measure. I'd say the Tradere belongs to the right of the slants and of the R41 by a couple or three places but well to the left of a Cobra.

Compared to a Weber? Different beasts. For a fantastic, economical all-stainless every day shave? Weber. For fun and challenge and technique improvement - and a bone dry close shave? Tradere.

Good description of your first shave with that thing. It'll be interesting to see exactly how it fits you when any needed technique tweaks are figured out. Heh, it sounds like one of those razors that wouldn't be for me because of the bite. Looks like it's gonna be a winner for you though.

Having the Stahly to switch off with will provide you with a totally different experience. Yep, the Stahly is a wonderful 'auto pilot' kinda head....shaving by only muscle memory is plenty to keep from hurting yourself. You already know it's gonna be a LOT milder than your other new tool, so it'll be quite the contrast.

Congrats on the nice additions to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom