Move over R41, Tradere is here!

Interesting post Carl.

My two most aggressive razors are my Joris and my R41.

Like you I save them for weekends when I want an extra close shave. I wasn't enamoured with my Joris for a long time (in fact, I tried to trade it on here) but, as my technique has improved, the last few shaves with it have been much, much better.

I don't know if I'd want any more really aggressive razors (which does make me wonder if I would get a Cobra or a Tradere) but they are nice to use occasionally for a change of pace.

JohnnyO said:
Manky ............................. "Mawkit in the extreme." And yes, that is how we grunt to each other where I grew up.

JohnnyO. \:blush:

What's doin Johnny,

Heh, I can only imagine how funny your way of speaking must sound in person. I'm trying to think of any famous Scotch people and how they talk, but drawing a blank. Doesn't mean there isn't one though......

So here's a song from a band around your neck of the weeds....I mean woods. Pretty popular about 40 years ago.........sheesh I remember when it was on the radio when new. Group is called The Marmalade.....catchy eh?

Hope you don't hate it,

Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NiN7ISW7E

Tall_Paul said:

I don't know if I'd want any more really aggressive razors .......... but they are nice to use occasionally for a change of pace.

Curses! He pokes my RAD and gives a plausible reason all in the same post - and I happen to know that a horn razor is going to look well with a new brush still in the making. Does it ever end???

Bechet45 said:
Tall_Paul said:

I don't know if I'd want any more really aggressive razors .......... but they are nice to use occasionally for a change of pace.

Curses! He pokes my RAD and gives a plausible reason all in the same post - and I happen to know that a horn razor is going to look well with a new brush still in the making. Does it ever end???

Well for Chrissakes don't buy a new one as I'm sure I could be persuaded to part with mine!

*watches Dodgy for approval from 'Master Enabler'*

Tall_Paul said:
Bechet45 said:
Tall_Paul said:

Well for Chrissakes don't buy a new one as I'm sure I could be persuaded to part with mine!

*watches Dodgy for approval from 'Master Enabler'*

I would sell my Tradere, as well. I just can't figure this one out. I've heard from people who've been shaving with this for a week or two and they say shave with the head flat to your face like with a single edge razor. I can shave very easily and safely with an SE, but not with this one. I ended up doing steep angles like Bechet and it was not a pleasant thing.

Are there no any Scotsmen around to correct this abuse?

Ah, you've corrected the "Scotch" abuse on our behalf Bechet, for which we thank you.

"Marmalade" eh ...................... well recall them playing at "Sgt. Pepper's" situated in the old Botanics station at the junction of Great Western Rd & Queen Margaret Dr. in Glasgow. Whilst there were a fair few "Sengas" & "Bridget Marys" we had no Merles or Merlennes I recall. & were "Merlettes" not a brand of mentholated cigarettes ?

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

lindyhop66 said:
they say shave with the head flat to your face like with a single edge razor. I can shave very easily and safely with an SE, but not with this one. I ended up doing steep angles like Bechet and it was not a pleasant thing.

Best I can say is that between 'head flat to your face' and 'steep angles' lies the right place/angle - I found a range of good angles from 'a bit laid back' to 40-ish degrees.

I wonder if the problem is more about the long handle. I can imagine folk who normally use short handles taking a firm grip of the Tradere's large handle - there is a lot of weight to carry. I held it lightly in two and three finger tips - including one thumb tip, obviously - at the point of balance. I held the weight of the razor whilst it lightly glided over my face. Dodgy recently said it took him a few goes to get the technique of a long handle down. I only ever use long handles - except for occasional fun shaves, anyway - '04 Replica, stubby slant.

dodgy said:
Having the Stahly to switch off with will provide you with a totally different experience. Yep, the Stahly is a wonderful 'auto pilot' kinda head....shaving by only muscle memory is plenty to keep from hurting yourself. You already know it's gonna be a LOT milder than your other new tool, so it'll be quite the contrast.

Martin

Well you are definately not wrong, Doc! 'Auto-pilot' is dead right - except it tempted me to press in a couple of times over my awkward places. Smooth as smooth - either a working day quick shave or a lazy Sunday shave. It knows exactly what is needed and gets on with it. This is going to feature in my 'rotation' on a regular basis - move over EJs - this is more fun with its soupcon of bite.

It has a permanent home on my extra long Neep handle - made for each other - and I'll call it "The Dodgy" after the sharply witted enabler who gave me the Stahly heads up.

Tall_Paul said:

Unfortunately,...............

Bechet45 said:
dodgy said:
, the Stahly is a wonderful 'auto pilot' kinda head....shaving by only muscle memory is plenty to keep from hurting yourself

Martin

Well you are definately not wrong, Doc! 'Auto-pilot' is dead right - except it tempted me to press in a couple of times over my awkward places. Smooth as smooth

Glad you found the Stahly head to your liking. Don't be afraid to push the envelope and bear down a bit if needed. It's such a forgiving design that you'll really have to screw up to do any damage, even loaded with a real sharp blade.

Sounds like you found the head a good Neep body to perch on, doc.......

Martin

Bechet45 said:
lindyhop66 said:
they say shave with the head flat to your face like with a single edge razor. I can shave very easily and safely with an SE, but not with this one. I ended up doing steep angles like Bechet and it was not a pleasant thing.

Best I can say is that between 'head flat to your face' and 'steep angles' lies the right place/angle - I found a range of good angles from 'a bit laid back' to 40-ish degrees.

I wonder if the problem is more about the long handle. I can imagine folk who normally use short handles taking a firm grip of the Tradere's large handle - there is a lot of weight to carry. I held it lightly in two and three finger tips - including one thumb tip, obviously - at the point of balance. I held the weight of the razor whilst it lightly glided over my face. Dodgy recently said it took him a few goes to get the technique of a long handle down. I only ever use long handles - except for occasional fun shaves, anyway - '04 Replica, stubby slant.

Thanks, Bechet. I've read a few posts at shavenook that some people did just that, take off the handle and try a shorter one. I have the long light handled Weber and have no problem with that, but with my Paul Revere SE, I cannot shave well with it and it has a long handle. Maybe I'll add the heavy Weber bulldog handle and try again.

Bechet, would you or anyone else on this forum who has used the Tradere successfully, please post a video of you shaving, so I can get an idea of what you're doing differently.

I will try a shorter handle, but I don't know if that will do the trick. I have found videos to be very useful.

Sorry, Lindy - I don't own a videa camera. However, some while back someone asked how to hold an EJ Chatsworth chrome barley and Fido beat all the words with a photo - I use the same 'grip' on the Tradere.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-12253.html?highlight=chatsworth+chrome+barley

Whilst putting a shorter handle on may well work you would undoubtedly lose the balance between the heavy head and heavy handle and that would give an entirely different shave. I'd recommend getting the hang of the razor as designed.

I noticed this morning that the Tradere likes a wetter lather than I usually use for a DE - again, much as a straight.

I got another lovely shave except I got greedy on my chin and upper lip, trying for BBS with a second day blade - gave myself a couple of little weepers. My knack is definately about landing the razor on its comb teeth and lifting the handle to cutting angle. The open comb makes buffing easy, of course, which I do with a little less angle. Lightness of touch all the time - and that's with balance on the handle.

Alcohool Glacial or whatever it is called - the green Carribean lotion - is becoming a firm favourite. Zingy and bracing simultaneously. Followed by some more cool with 3P - love the product, hate the packaging (I hide it in the cabinet - I mean, bright red and yellow might get it noticed on the store shelf but there is not a bathroom decor with which it will not clash violently!!) I find 3P very cool and soothing.

Thanks, I'm about to try my 6th shave with Tradere. I wrote Richard and he advised 30 degrees or doing the usual way of finding the angle...flat to face and tilt handle until cutting contact made. He's even going to try razors I use versus his Tradere. That's pretty nice a thing for a vendor/manufacturer to do.

I looked at the photos and will try that as well. I put the Weber bulldog handle on the Tradere and may put the Tradere handle back on, because I see what you are saying about balance.

Back
Top Bottom