Mongoose advice required!

UKRob said:
I applied on 20th January and received instructions as to how to order this week end. Now on order and paid for.

Nice one Rob. You won't regret it. I rarely use anything else these days.

Any thoughts on blades? I found an additional candidate to the Feather and Kai options. Cheaper and I found it very long lasting (I pushed it to 17 shaves last usage, although 15 I think was when I should have retired it). If you are interested let me know and I'll fire you the details (it is available in this country). I sent out a blade to a Cobra owner and a Feather Artist owner and it is compatible with those razors too.

Hope you are well.

All the best,

Jon

globalm said:
So, confessing what is probably my failure, what is the PRICE of the mongoose razors? Can anyone throw a ballpark figure in here?

Thanks.

I went polished and my bill is £127 including delivery - that's the conversion from US$ of course.

rolatruck said:
I think the mirror polished is actually done by hand, which is why theres the extra lead time.

I assumed it would take extra time for the polished version but I had an email yesterday saying it's on the way and giving the tracking number.

jds said:
Nice one Rob. You won't regret it. I rarely use anything else these days.

Any thoughts on blades? I found an additional candidate to the Feather and Kai options. Cheaper and I found it very long lasting (I pushed it to 17 shaves last usage, although 15 I think was when I should have retired it). If you are interested let me know and I'll fire you the details (it is available in this country). I sent out a blade to a Cobra owner and a Feather Artist owner and it is compatible with those razors too.

Hope you are well.

All the best,

Jon

Thanks Jon. Initially I will use a Feather just so that I can tell any difference from the Cobra and know it's the razor rather than blade. I will try Kai and your offer at some stage - still in temporary accomodation at present.

I've been on the Mongoose waiting list since mid January and then received notification that I could place an order last Wednesday. A shiny new highly polished razor with Ginger Swirl handle was ordered and paid for. (Total price £127). Received notification that the razor was despatched from Florida on Friday (despite the warnings of several weeks delay for the highly polished version). Now it seems the razor is currently on its way via local courier and I should have it in my mitts as some stage today. Absolutely fantastic service from the guys at Mongoose. Only problem is, it's arriving so quickly that I don't have any blades for the thing! Orders have been placed for Feather & Kai blades but I don't expect delivery for a few more days. Just have to spend the time admiring myself in the mirror finish until they arrive............YIKES

UKRob said:
Any thoughts on blades? I

Initially I will use a Feather just so that I can tell any difference from the Cobra and know it's the razor rather than blade.

Hiya doin Rob,

Smart to use a control blade for testing and you and the other members are gonna be in for a real treat with the Mongoose. Like no other head I have tried and not a Cobra injector sort of shave. Different angle of attack as you will find out. Not like a DE head either.

Blades are gonna make a big difference so read up on the ones you want. I ended up with the 'milder' Pro Guard version which was plenty for me.

Should be fun reading your thoughts down the road a bit.

Martin

dodgy said:
UKRob said:

Initially I will use a Feather just so that I can tell any difference from the Cobra and know it's the razor rather than blade.

Hiya doin Rob,

Smart to use a control blade for testing and you and the other members are gonna be in for a real treat with the Mongoose. Like no other head I have tried and not a Cobra injector sort of shave. Different angle of attack as you will find out. Not like a DE head either.

Blades are gonna make a big difference so read up on the ones you want. I ended up with the 'milder' Pro Guard version which was plenty for me.

Should be fun reading your thoughts down the road a bit.

Martin

Hi Martin. To be honest, in the Cobra I don't notice a great difference between Pro and Proguard - they are both terrifically sharp and with the same amount of blade exposure given that they are the same depth.

Having said that, my Cobra is very aggressive and I have to be ultra careful that the blade is seated properly. I've always thought that the Cobra is a great looking razor with a basic design and iffy quality. That's why I'm looking forward to trying the Mongoose where it's clear that a lot more thought has gone into how the blade is held in the head.

Just so you know, you damned enablers - this thread has changed my mind about buying a Satin Mongoose and cost me $149 I don't have to spend!

I'm intrigued by this razor but want to try it out before I buy. Frustratingly, the pass around seems to have stalled so I'm likely looking at next year before I get a go. It's still fun reading the reviews on it though - and anticipation is half of the fun :)

UKRob said:
dodgy said:
UKRob said:

Having said that, my Cobra is very aggressive and I have to be ultra careful that the blade is seated properly. I've always thought that the Cobra is a great looking razor with a basic design and iffy quality.

I was fortunate in trying both Cobras and actually preferred the King for how it felt in my hand. Both were very pleasant, although with just a tad too much bite with em.

I think you'll find the Mongoose to be more comfortable and forgiving. That thing impressed me enough to want one in the arsenal at some point.

Bechet45 said:
Just so you know, you damned enablers - this thread has changed my mind about buying a Satin Mongoose and cost me $149 I don't have to spend!

Blame me as the OP if you like Betchet ;)

I paid yesterday and got confirmation that The Goose is on it's way today!

Did most of the guys that own one get stung by customs when they ordered theirs direct from Mongoose?

Ben88 said:
Bechet45 said:

Blame me as the OP if you like Betchet ;)

I paid yesterday and got confirmation that The Goose is on it's way today!

Did most of the guys that own one get stung by customs when they ordered theirs direct from Mongoose?

I was lucky. It got through. My experience of customs / duty is that I would estimate 1 in 5 gets caught, the remainder get through untouched. It is a total lottery though and there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I would always factor in what the extras would add to a transatlantic order and take it as a bonus if you avoild the additional charges.

Received mine yesterday - it had been opened at customs but despite the $100 declared value It did not get charged with VAT and handling.

Used this morning with the big handle and a Proguard blade - the shave was excellent and far less aggressive than my Cobra. I've already arranged a lighter handle - the one it came with is just too heavy and bulky for my liking so Im hoping the slim dub will be better.

UKRob said:
Received mine yesterday - it had been opened at customs but despite the $100 declared value It did not get charged with VAT and handling.

Used this morning with the big handle and a Proguard blade - the shave was excellent and far less aggressive than my Cobra. I've already arranged a lighter handle - the one it came with is just too heavy and bulky for my liking so Im hoping the slim dub will be better.

One of those handles is crazy heavy for whatever the reason. Not sure what they were aiming for there, although I never did try one on that head.

A lighter handle should be an easy fix.

Mine arrived Tuesday with no fees to pay which was a nice surprise. Very pleased so far although I am yet to shave with it. Any popular recommendations on blades?

Back
Top Bottom