Mongoose advice required!

Gentleman,

I have finally received my ordering instructions email from Mongoose. The two options as I am sure you are all aware are either Satin finish or Mirror polish. Now I am undecided between the two....Mongoose say that they cannot guarantee the finish on the Mirror Polish (or words to that effect from memory) and that it takes maintenance to keep the finish to the factory produced standard.

The satin finish looked rather dull? Does anyone have any experience with this? Comments welcomed before I place my order!

Thanks

Ben88 said:
Gentleman,

I have finally received my ordering instructions email from Mongoose. The two options as I am sure you are all aware are either Satin finish or Mirror polish. Now I am undecided between the two....Mongoose say that they cannot guarantee the finish on the Mirror Polish (or words to that effect from memory) and that it takes maintenance to keep the finish to the factory produced standard.

The satin finish looked rather dull? Does anyone have any experience with this? Comments welcomed before I place my order!

Thanks

I have the satin B2 and love it. The polished head is a little too ostentatious for my liking. I prefer muted, understated generally.
I would have thought that the polished head is similar in its care requirements to any other shiny razor - it may need polishing to maintain its looks. A dab of Peek every now and then should bring it back to new condition. Others more advanced in razor care & restoration will, I have no doubt, be able to offer alternative suggestions, but I think the general principle applies.

Either way - I will be surprised if you have any regrets over buying a Mongoose.

All the best,

Jon

Out of interest Ben when did you get the initial email from Mongoose replying to your wish to purchase the razor.
Was put on the "we will email you" list towards the end of March and was wondering how long I may have to wait.
Thanks
Neil

Thanks so far guys, I think I am going to go with the Mirror Polish and Ginger Swirl handle.

Neil, I emailed them back on the 23rd January and they responded within 24 hours saying I was on the list. Sorry to say but you're going to be waiting a while yet mate!

I had the same conundrum with Batch 2. In the end, I went for the polished finish, and have no problems with maintaining it in Apple-pie order.

I have never been a fan of facebook and I just don't think it's a good place to find info on a much-desired razor!

So, confessing what is probably my failure, what is the PRICE of the mongoose razors? Can anyone throw a ballpark figure in here?

Thanks.

Erik, please do elaborate when you say feel. Do you feel that the satin head is smoother?

Paul - prices are around $160 USD plus your shipping and customs charge if you are unlucky and HMRC bend you over.

For reference, if it's at all useful for anyone:

My invoice - raised in November 2014 - was for $142 for a B2 head-only. It got caught by customs and fees were due at the PO. Worth it, though.

Well, to me the mirror polished feels like it grips the skin. Because the surface is so smooth it feels like it forms a vacuum seal where the satin finish glides easier.
The satin certainly won't win a beauty contest against the polished. ;)

Interesting you say that Erik. I love the finish on the Edwin Jagger razors but I am adamant that the high polish has the exact effect you have described above. Let's hope I don't encounter that with the Goose....

Just FYI gents I received my invoice a few hours ago. All paid for so it should be with me in the next 4-8 weeks I hope. They do say there is an extra 2 week lead time on the mirror polished.

Back
Top Bottom