Mixing my own soap

Rose last night, and at first I thought I'd got a dud. Like heroblob I used a ramekin (nothing else left) and they're not ideal when there's only a thin layer of soap on the bottom... anyway that was the problem as it transpired and nothing to do with the soap. Frenzied brush loading got things going, and the resulting bowlful of lather suggests that I might have overdone it. Nice lather again, although I think the lime was a touch better in terms of glide and cushion; no real stinging this time, just a little frisson. I managed a reasonably relaxed shave with a twitchy straight with better than average results as it happens. This one doesn't seem to be at all drying, and I haven't felt the need for moisturiser despite the weather. The scent is a nice convincing rose which gets my approval; the colour is either bubblegum or blancmange, and I'm not so keen on that ;) It's a good soap Steve - it falls short of Nanny's for my purposes, but not by so very wide a margin, and I imagine that the DE users will be very happy with it.

Anyway, did someone say "lavender"? :hungrig

yep a new "tweaked" lavender version will be sent for testing on monday :D :D

with each test batch i seem to be getting better sohopefully soon i will have perfected the performance of the soap then i can concentrate on the scent and lather

Steve :D :D

For what it's worth, since I haven't actually shaved with the soap, I have whipped up a lovely lather with both. It is a bit hard to load the brush sufficiently, but that is probably because I am used to playing with my own soap which is much softer, so easier to load. Once the brush was loaded, I found that it seems to give a more cushioning lather when less water is used than with my soap, although it helps to load the brush if it is fairly wet when loading.
I liked both the rose and the lime scent, and found that the strength of each was spot on for my tastes, i.e. not overwhelming. Both are very nice scents.

Melted the lime in a ramekin as per instructions and proceeded to bowl lather for last night's shave. I must point out that I don't have much success bowl lathering but all seemed well. Initially I poured a little warm water on the soap and left to soak whilst the brush was soaking.

Poured the water into my lather bowl and awirled like made for at least 30 seconds to load up with soap before swirling madly. Lather ensued but it wouldn't get very thick so I reloaded the brush and whipped some more and a goodly amount was produced.

However, when I applied it, I couldn't get it to cover my chops and I could still see "pink" through the lather. I started to shave and despite worries that it was too thin, the shave was very pleasant using a Fatboy loaded with a Supermax set to 5. Re-applied a couple of times and had enough left for a touch.

Overall it was a really nice shave but the thin lather confused me but I am not a veteran bowl latherer so I imaging it was technique on my part.

Main difference between the rose and lime is that the rose left a stinging sensation (not bad) which the lime did not.

Overall a good job Steve.

Steve, I've got the two samples still sat here, and am looking forward to using them, but work commitments and Ramekin shortages will delay my report a few days unfortunately :(

no problem chaps,

i have made the last batch of testers, (lavender) i have cut right back on the Essential oils, so there will be no more of the tingling sensation, and added extra stuff to leave skin moisturised.....

will post out monday

Steve :D :D

Mikael said:
I hope everyone enjoy their test batches ... seems to be so nice this stuff ... :cry:

sunburyboy93 said:
I have been shaving with it for the last few days....and i really quite like it, (well i would say that....... :oops: ) it gave me a good creamy thick lather and a nice close shave which i was chuffed with, it has taken me 8 or 9 test attemps and dinner out to please a p****d off Girlfriend to get the soap how it is now......

and as a note to everyone, i didn't choose to ignore everyone in just sending out 4 testers, it was just that if it was a total flop then there was no point in sending out loads and sending out 4 just limits time wasting and embarrasment :oops: :oops: ;) , as it seems to be quite good, i will make up some more soon (as soon as i get my other testers thoughts back) in a lime rose or lavender scent and send say 10 samples out.....

if you would be interested in trying it just post a reply to this message....only need 10 or so ;)

:oops: :oops: Mikael, i did ask for testers on top of the 4 i had already sent out, only got 4 people that were willing to try it....

if you want to test it, i will send you some of the lavender, just PM me your address

Steve :D

Arrowhead said:
... and if you want a go on the curry and lime pickle flavours, email me! The rose got melted though.

the curry was a good performer, just shame about the scent....
might do a batch of Limited Edition Curry" scent for christmas...just for you

if you need any testers ever again feel free to pm me mate, i want to try as many soaps as i can at the minute, so will more then happily test anything.

Maybe we could all just send my M8 Mikael a wee sample of our own fave soaps individually ? I feel bad that he's always the one who just misses out on any PIFs or bargain buys !

Hang in there Mikael .............. your day will come !

JohnnyO. :D /

Thanks! Very kind, please hold the curry though, even if I like a good curry as much as the next guy, I don´t want it in the morning :lol:

Edited: I know you asked, but I didn´t think they where going to be so good :lol: Really, I appriciate your good will to send me some, but I can trade you later, when you´ve got a finnished batch. :D

Steve,
Just finished using the rose. The resulting shave was clean close and irritation free, However i had some problems with the lather. Before i go anywhere can you damage the soap by over heating it when you melt it. The reason i ask was this was the first one i melted, placed cube in the ramekin and microwaved for 20sec. The soap boiled up in the ramekin within about 10sec and then cooled.
I soaked the soap while i showered and soaked the brush. Normal prep, and then went about whipping up a lather. I poured the water off the top of the soap and started to load the brush. After the initial soft soap had been picked up the soap was hard and it became very difficult to load any more soap.
The resulting lather was a little thinner than i am use to, and didn't cover my face in masses of thick creamy foam, but stayed fairly thin. However the foam remained stable throughout the shave and afforded enough protection and slickness to deliver a clean irritation free shave.
the results were good, but i didn't get that luxury feel i like from a thick creamy foam.
The scent was quite mild as well, i certainly would reduce the EO any more. Unless i over heated it and boiled the scent out.

Many thanks Steve, looking forward to the Lavender. :D

i don't know, maybe it's technique, as you can see from my pics i am able to get a thick creamy lather from it, don't need to soak the soap, needs a damp brush but not a very wet brush, and then swirl for about 20-30 seconds until the brush hairs are thick and clumpy with soap almost looks too dry, not foamy and watery (as you will not have enough), then whip up in a bowl.....need qite a bit of water added in total when whipping in the bowl but add it little by little, you will be rewarded with thick creamy lather per pic below... (this one was made with the Lime Soap)

and don't overheat it as it's glycerin based with added oils and butters and overheating may cause damage i guess ???

i am on a night shift tonight, ovet the next day or so i will do a youtube vid of me mixing the lather up..... (i will be fully clothed before you get excited PIG CAT !!)

steve
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom