Mixing my own soap

Well want to have a go at mixing my own Bay Rum Shave Soap as it must be cheaper than buying little cakes for a tenner, it's gonna be a cheat as i will be using a Glycerine Based Melt & Pour, (hey i'm no soap maker) and add some bentonite Clay to it, and some Bay, Clove, Orange, Vanilla, essential oil to it and a dusting of All Spice Powder on the top of the Poured Soap for decoration.

Does that Sound about Right ?

Gonna Buy:

1Kg of Melt & Pour Opaque Soap Base
200gm of Powdered Bentonite Clay

The essential oils i already have, SOAP MAKER Members, does this sound ok (for my own personal use, not for resale)

i was going to add some of my home made Bay Rum to it but it's Alcohol, would that work in the soap, or just best to add the Oils for fragrance ?

Will be pouring into little glass lidded jars...... :D

Best not to add alcohol to M&P soap (mind you I've not tried it)

Clay - I would think about 1.5% of the soap weight (15 g per kilo)

You're going to need to mix the clay with a liquid in order to be able to blend it into the soap base I'd suggest glycerine.

Try with 100g of base first - unless you have jewellers' scales weighing the clay could be a problem (but you could weigh 15g then estimate 1/10 th of the bulk).

2 - 3% is the usual approved maximum for EO totals (keep the clove down to 0.5%) and combine the EOs with the clay slurry.

Although not strictly accurate you could reckon 1ml of EO to the gram.

sunburyboy93 said:
Well want to have a go at mixing my own Bay Rum Shave Soap as it must be cheaper than buying little cakes for a tenner, it's gonna be a cheat as i will be using a Glycerine Based Melt & Pour, (hey i'm no soap maker) and add some bentonite Clay to it, and some Bay, Clove, Orange, Vanilla, essential oil to it and a dusting of All Spice Powder on the top of the Poured Soap for decoration.

Does that Sound about Right ?

Gonna Buy:

1Kg of Melt & Pour Opaque Soap Base
200gm of Powdered Bentonite Clay

The essential oils i already have, SOAP MAKER Members, does this sound ok (for my own personal use, not for resale)

i was going to add some of my home made Bay Rum to it but it's Alcohol, would that work in the soap, or just best to add the Oils for fragrance ?

Will be pouring into little glass lidded jars...... :D

Im sensing a missed opportunity for you here sunburyboy,, so,,, if your bay rum shaving soap doesnt take off and youre still left with gallons of the liquid stuff,,,,you may wish to consider,,,,,and I'll expect a small commission for this one....................................

Bay Rum flavoured

Sellotape or to get over any infringements.........................................

"Nickylickystickytape" :D
regards, beejay

Jeltz said:
why not just grate Palmolive and add your preferred fragrances to it?

Palmolive already has a fragrance but I like the idea. Are there any decent unscented shaving soaps out there? Ah, but would the fragrance mix in with the soap properly? Maybe this would only work with melt and pour. Mama Bear do an unscented soap, so could you not just melt some of that and mix in some aftershave before it sets?? :?

a Kilo of Melt and pour Glycerine base enriched with Goats Milk can be bought for £10.00, The clay is £2.00 and the E.Oils are about £1.00 per bottle so £15.00 outlay for a kilo of shaving soap....not bad :D

gonna buy 500gm soap base and experiment to see what it turns out like....

sunburyboy93 said:
a Kilo of Melt and pour Glycerine base enriched with Goats Milk can be bought for £10.00, The clay is £2.00 and the E.Oils are about £1.00 per bottle so £15.00 outlay for a kilo of shaving soap....not bad :D

I think the theory is excellent, fella. I just think that you might struggle to find all the ingredients at a car boot sale.

That said, I'm sure you'll try. :lol:

Lipsy

Lipsy said:
sunburyboy93 said:

I think the theory is excellent, fella. I just think that you might struggle to find all the ingredients at a car boot sale.

Lipsy

I have the Goat for the Milk...... :shock: 2nd hand, low milage, BUT NO TAPS ???.....................think i have been robbed !!!
FaintingGoat.jpg

sunburyboy93 said:
Lipsy said:
sunburyboy93 said:

Lipsy

I have the Goat for the Milk...... :shock: 2nd hand, low milage, BUT NO TAPS ???.....................think i have been robbed !!!
FaintingGoat.jpg

Hell, you don't need wellies :lol:

soapalchemist said:
I'm pretty sure that the maximum for Bay oil is .25%, so you'll need to strictly limit that.

Err, that's a maximum for cosmetics placed on the market. If you're making stuff for yourself, there's no need to strictly adhere to that limit. We're talking Margins of Safety of several orders of magnitude here, even if you 'believe' that bay oil, used externally, could be harmful.

Well I have ordered a M&P Shave soap base, a M&P Goat Milk Soap Base, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Bentonite Clay, Glycerin, Essential Oil...
time to experiment :D :D

Will post results of my playing & test lathers when all the stuff arrives :D :D

2703_mad_scientist_smiling_and_holding_test_tube.jpg

Back
Top Bottom