I Want a soap (and bowl)

Jobby can be a friendly informal word for job amongst friends. It can also be a Barry Scott in the big porcelain gravy bowl (flush and the dirt is gone). A bog egg. A Bog-mess Monster. A brown trout. A colon burger. Something which causes a Bisto skid, if you will.

sagesmith said:
I'm a creams man.

Love the Truefitt & Hill stuff, some TOBS and, of course, Proraso.

But I want a soap (and bowl) to try out.

I love the old fashioned shaving shop smells - so 1805, Mr Taylor's, TOBS Shaving Shop etc.

Can you recommend me a good starting soap?

I use a very soft T&H Wellington badger brush and really don't want to invest in another if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks chaps, your help and expertise will be much appreciated as always.

Adam.

I can recommend Dr Dittmar Spezial. My first soap and after a couple of latherings it is fantastic, and I live in a hard water area. Takes a little bit of work up front but you get payback and more.

Jon

Greetings

My favourite soaps, and I nearly always face lather are:-

Speick
Tabac
Wilkinson Sword Stick (not the awful blue bowl)
Lea Lanolin and Glycerine

These four are IMHO so good that my opinion as to which I like the best changes each week but it is always one of these four. As to containers/ bowls I tend to use whatever empty container of the appropriate size I happen to have about, this way you can grate the sticks (or press them if you have strong enough thumbs) into these containers.

In the case of Lea, Speick and Wilkinson, the hard soap is only made in sticks, in the case of Tabac a stick refill is by far the cheapest way to buy it.

Regards
Dick.

I've got a couple of soaps to try and I need some advice please.
The 'puck' in a tight-fitting bowl seems to me to be really difficult to work into a creamy lather without it just spilling over and losing most of it in the sink.
What am I doing wrong?
Are the little bowls just for show and storage?
Should I be scraping a bit of soap into the Suribachi and lathering it up there?

You need a decent amount of bowl space above the top of the soap; an inch would be good. What soap is it? I tend to put mine into plastic clip-lock containers (not as pretty but cheaper and seemingly more effective).

Now! I have a very similar issue only I have already bought the soap!

Being a fan of T&H 1805, I bought the soap in the little wooden bowl. It is delightful. Such an evocative smell! I used to use the cream but fancied a more traditional approach. You won't regret buying it!

I use a TOBS extra large (S41) silvertip/best brush and I cannot seem to find a really big bowl to lather up in.

I can heartily recommend the soap but you can't really get a good lather on the wooden bowl.

Right now I'm using a plain glass kitchen bowl but it gets very slippery and I need something with a handle.

The EJ ones just look too small for such a huge brush.

Suggestions would be welcome (I'm not trying to hijack the thread though so please feel free to tell me to start a new one!)

David

Hello NTS. The soap is Culmak. No problem getting it to froth up, but turning it into lather in the bowl provided was a mess. I think decent space above the puck is needed so why do they sell the soaps in silly, undersized bowls?
I had a look on 't Bay at shaving mugs and the 'traditional' typed also seem to have no space to produce a lather.
Should the soap be simply picked up by the brush and the actual lather production be done on the face perhaps?

davidb said:

Being a fan of T&H 1805, I bought the soap in the little wooden bowl. It is delightful. Such an evocative smell! I used to use the cream but fancied a more traditional approach. You won't regret buying it!

I use a TOBS extra large (S41) silvertip/best brush and I cannot seem to find a really big bowl to lather up in.

I can heartily recommend the soap but you can't really get a good lather on the wooden bowl.

Right now I'm using a plain glass kitchen bowl but it gets very slippery and I need something with a handle.

Suggestions would be welcome (I'm not trying to hijack the thread though so please feel free to tell me to start a new one!)

David

For my big brushes i use one of those childs novelty melamine bowls, perfect

davidb said:

David

Homebase 1.99 small vase looks like a lathering bowl comes in black/silver/white looks good and is small enough to hold in the palm of my hand but big enough to lather and that with a large brush too

Thanks for the info NTS. I'll put a puck of GFT's Sandlewood in the Suribachi for tomorrow's shave.
I'm trying out the Kent Infinity Silvertex brush at present, let's see how it goes with the soap.

Nishy said:
Homebase 1.99 small vase looks like a lathering bowl comes in black/silver/white looks good and is small enough to hold in the palm of my hand but big enough to lather and that with a large brush too

Thanks. I think that I need something with a handle but I'll check it out! For two quid it's got to be one to try - and my better can always put flowers in it if it is too slippery! :-/

David

Al H said:
For my big brushes i use one of those childs novelty melamine bowls, perfect

Thanks but think I will need a handle on it! I'll have a look though!

David

Back
Top Bottom