I Want a soap (and bowl)

I'm a creams man.

Love the Truefitt & Hill stuff, some TOBS and, of course, Proraso.

But I want a soap (and bowl) to try out.

I love the old fashioned shaving shop smells - so 1805, Mr Taylor's, TOBS Shaving Shop etc.

Can you recommend me a good starting soap?

I use a very soft T&H Wellington badger brush and really don't want to invest in another if I don't absolutely have to.

Thanks chaps, your help and expertise will be much appreciated as always.

Adam.

Seeing as you like T+H stuff I'd recommend their luxury hard shaving soap, it smells fantastic and performs very well. They now do an 1805 flavoured one too, if you wanted to stick to a familiar scent. The original one is a clean, soapy smell with a bit of lavender.
The wooden bowls aren't great for bowl lathering in total, but you can start it off on the puck and then transfer to face lathering and that works well.

I'd try your current brush and see how it goes. My first brush, an EJ BB is very floppy and worked fine with creams, but really didn't hack it with soaps. Your brush may be ok... but try first and then think about getting a new one.

I love the smell of 1805... only tried the cream, though, not the soap. And MWF is great.

122356d1361818682-arko-bowl-sans-titre.jpg

:icon_razz:

Al H said:
Tabac or MWF both great soaps and good value too

This. Specifically I would have said Tabac as it's easier to find. If you MUST have a bowl that is. If not, get some Palmolive shave sticks and squeeze them into a cheap bowl or glass dish.

Went through this myself last week - got it down to cella or MWF - was worried about the MWF not being good for my skin but like the bowl!

So in the end went for the MWF and old school bowl and if it irritated skin then at least id still have a bowl!

Just had a go with it now as it came today - great results!

Tabac is brilliant, tried a sample, it's definitely on my list. It lathers up a dream, and IMO smells great too.

Cella is also one of my favourites, the smell of that is beautiful, and again lathers up very well, and lasts forever.

Back
Top Bottom