I am new to DE Shaving - here's what I just bought!

Hi guys,

I've literally just shaved and by the 3rd pass it was great! Stupidly i felt my neck and was tempted to stab at my throat with a 4,5,6th passes with thinning lather and now my throat stings with the alum block on it. :(. Besides my inability to avoid temptation I was just wondering if someone could advise me what to do next? i.e. Do I wash off the alum block stuff from my face or should I leave it on and apply aftershave, or should i wash it off and apply aftershave, or don't i even need aftershave?

Many thanks :)

The noob.

Personally "if" I use alum I use it after a warm water rinse, leave it 45 secs to a minute and then rinse it off with cold water. If I leave it on it makes my skin feel tight.

I'd say getting a grip on yourself and putting the razor away after the third pass, regardless of how much stubble you think you can feel, is the most important thing you can do.
The sequence of alum, aftershave, rinses, balms etc is utterly trivial if you are going to damage yourself with overshaving.
You could well find that the stubble becomes less prominent after 30 minutes or so has passed after the shave - so if it doesn't feel that close right after the shave, it is likely to feel closer later on.

Stick to 2 or 3 careful, slow passes, using no pressure, with the best lather you can muster. With practise will come closeness.

If you keep on doing all those passes and getting crap results, you will sooner or later get frustrated and give up DE shaving, and that would be a shame.

Just my 2p worth. (I admit I have been guilty of overdoing it myself, so I do know where you are coming from)

Ainslie

quattrojames said:
Personally "if" I use alum I use it after a warm water rinse, leave it 45 secs to a minute and then rinse it off with cold water. If I leave it on it makes my skin feel tight.

yup, my skin feels tight too. Do I wash it off then put on aftershave? or just wash it off and leave it at that?

thank you

With the shark i assume?

Three is plenty, heck i can get away with 1-2 with the right razor.

Have you thought of borrowing a more aggressive razor, it should do away with the temptation for more passes.

new2DE said:
Hi guys,

I've literally just shaved and by the 3rd pass it was great! Stupidly i felt my neck and was tempted to stab at my throat with a 4,5,6th passes with thinning lather and now my throat stings with the alum block on it. :(. Besides my inability to avoid temptation I was just wondering if someone could advise me what to do next? i.e. Do I wash off the alum block stuff from my face or should I leave it on and apply aftershave, or should i wash it off and apply aftershave, or don't i even need aftershave?

Many thanks :)

The noob.

Got to admit up to 6 passes is a hell of a lot. If i shave once a day it'll be 4 passes or if it's twice a day i can get away with 2 each time (like tonight a 2 pass has just taken 14 hrs growth off).

Gingerpose said:
Just my 2p worth. (I admit I have been guilty of overdoing it myself, so I do know where you are coming from)

glad we all started in the same boat! I got the lather perfect today! Used the Geo F Trump cream - so much easier to lather than the proraso tub cream.

huxley said:
With the shark i assume?

Three is plenty, heck i can get away with 1-2 with the right razor.

Have you thought of borrowing a more aggressive razor, it should do away with the temptation for more passes.
Yup, Shark, three was fine for me but i tried to catch the hairs in the dips in the throat. I couldn't get the razor to touch my throat in places and it left long hairs there. When i try follow my grain (which is sideways on the throat) I don't get hairs off. I have to go 90 degrees to the grain and that doesn't get rid of a lot of the hairs. Anyone have any suggestions for a throat with sideways growing hair? By sideways i mean if the throat is top to bottom the hair growth direction is left to right. :/

Yup, Shark, three was fine for me but i tried to catch the hairs in the dips in the throat. I couldn't get the razor to touch my throat in places and it left long hairs there. When i try follow my grain (which is sideways on the throat) I don't get hairs off. I have to go 90 degrees to the grain and that doesn't get rid of a lot of the hairs. Anyone have any suggestions for a throat with sideways growing hair? By sideways i mean if the throat is top to bottom the hair growth direction is left to right. :/
[/quote]

Hi there,

Yeah, trying to get a good shave around the throat area can be a real pain in the neck. Took me quite a while before I figured that whole thing out, and now it's no problem. Maybe I can offer a few suggestions.

First thing would be to do the 'bullfrog' sorta move to smooth out that whole area before the blade rolls over it. You may even do it now and not realise there's a name for that technique.

You might also like to choke up a bit on the handle, which may give you a little more control over the angle and any pressure needed.

Another handy neck technique is the'J' hook routine. I find that works well for the whiskers that grow diagonally.

Usta be I could only get a great neck shave with my injector and for a long while it didn't seem like a DE was ever gonna equal that. It's a tricky thing, but stay with it and it'll come together in time.

Martin

Good to hear you liked the shark. Like i said before sounds like you need to try a more aggressive razor. I did have an 89l and it was far too gentle for me to get a decent shave.

What about giving a slant a go, i will be doing a pass around soon as work picks up and other things are out the way. I've too much on to think about it atm.

Anyway a slant and a shark always gives me a cracking shave with no irritation.

Oh btw my neck hair goes right to left as well, try going diagonally works for me.

new2DE said:

huxley said:
Good to hear you liked the shark. Like i said before sounds like you need to try a more aggressive razor. I did have an 89l and it was far too gentle for me to get a decent shave.

thinking of getting a muhle r89 - is that more agressive, or should i jump straigh to a merkur?

just had my 7th DE shave and it was much better than yesterday's shave. I stuck to three passes and have no throad irritation :D. Face feels good :)
3 passes for the win! Just canned the 1st shark blade. now to try stig's russian one again i think. :p

new2DE said:
huxley said:

thinking of getting a muhle r89 - is that more agressive, or should i jump straigh to a merkur?

just had my 7th DE shave and it was much better than yesterday's shave. I stuck to three passes and have no throad irritation :D. Face feels good :)
3 passes for the win! Just canned the 1st shark blade. now to try stig's greek one again i think. :p

The Muhle has the same head, IIRC, as the Jagger. I think until you can stop yourself doing umpteen passes, you really ought to steer clear of a Merkur.

chrisbell said:
The Muhle has the same head, IIRC, as the Jagger. I think until you can stop yourself doing umpteen passes, you really ought to steer clear of a Merkur.
same head! too bad :/ I really like the look of it [i think i'm addicted to shaving - going through a phase where i want to buy cool shaving stuff :/ ]

i succeeded in making umpteen passes today chris :D. woo!

chrisbell said:
new2DE said:
huxley said:

3 passes for the win! Just canned the 1st shark blade. now to try stig's greek one again i think. :p

After you've used the Rapira (I get four shaves out of one Rapira blade) try one of the Gillettes I sent you. Most people get on with some type of Gillette blade, and haven't heard anyone on here say they didn't like Super Thins. Can't remember what Gillette blades I sent you except that one was a Super Thin.

I think he's doing umpteen passes because the razor is nowhere aggressive enough. He admits the shave isn't as close as it ought to be.

I have a tough beard that seems to grow the same way as his, and only the likes of a slant or a gillette new was enough to get the job done.

But like i said he doesn't have to purchase one, just to wait a week or two and i'll fire up a pass around for my slant.

chrisbell said:

I've just read this thread in its entirety, well skimmed it anyway. Here's my tuppence worth.

It's still early days and things will improve, never doubt it. That Desperate Dan beard is making things harder, and that's pushing you into doing more passes than are advisable. Stick at three for now, maximum. That's plenty with a nice smooth straight razor, let alone a DE blade, so two would be better for your skin's sake.

All very well, you say, but I'm not clean shaven. Well, there are a number of things which may be hindering that, starting with preparation. Lying in the bath with a hot flannel over your face for as long as it takes to read a decent newspaper is over the top, and well worth trying. Obviously not one for every day, but it's a worthwhile experiment because you can be sure that your beard will be as soft as it's going to get. Slapping on some lather or Proraso pre / post beforehand won't do any harm either. Lather up, taking time to make a good job of it, then find a displacement activity for five minutes or so, which should include installing a brand new blade into your razor. Adjust that lather, then shave slowly and carefully paying attention to the angle, using just the weight of the razor - no pressure. Two passes with the grain, no going back over where you've already shaved, and stop right there. Warm rinse, thorough cold rinse, apply one product of your choice. Follow all that to the letter, and tell me the shaving experience isn't better.

Now that was all very well, but it's not practical, I know. The point is to hammer home a few basics:

1) Don't stint on the preparation. Hot water is your best friend.
2) Two passes (or even one) done to the best of your ability are much better than umpteen increasingly desperate scarifications in search of the perfect shave. BBS or whatever you want to call it is certainly achievable, but not worth chasing at the expense of flaying yourself and feeling discomfort for hours afterwards.
3) Rinsing thoroughly with cold water is important and extremely effective. For many years that was the sum total of my post shaving routine and it works as well as anything unless you want to add a scent. That can be done just as well with cologne, by the way.
4) Too many lotions, unctions and so forth applied together just cause trouble. High alcohol splashes or witch hazel work best for me; alum, balm or something like Proraso work well for other people. Find something that suits by trying them one at a time.

Eventually you'll find a routine which suits, and you'll hone your method to the point that you can make yourself socially acceptable in five minutes - trust me on that.

A word on hardware. Modern safety razor blades come in quite a variety, but they are all quite harsh compared to the best blades of yesteryear. In view of your tough whiskers you should be looking for a relatively sharp blade in the end for efficient shaving, but bear in mind that they are hard on your face. For now I'd suggest steering clear of the most aggressive blades, specifically Feathers, and sticking with something like the red IPs which are at least smoothish (sort of).

I'm no fan of timid safety razors (a New, an Aristocrat Jr, or a Slim set to "kill" is the sort of thing which I like), but they do work. Get the prep and technique right and a mild shaver like a Tech will get you just as clean in the same number of passes. My suggestion is that you stick with what you've got and learn to make it do the job, then ring the changes by all means. An "aggressive" razor is not necessarily the answer.

Back
Top Bottom