I am new to DE Shaving - here's what I just bought!

Which Shark did you get?

If its the super stainless and you like it (or the super chrome) i can pif you a few packs of the ss's to keep going for a few weeks whilst you see if you are good with them. Only got about 60 packs of them and they work for me. I've not got wiry hair BUT i normally look unshaven a few hours aftr a shave...

jon_hall said:
Which Shark did you get?

If its the super stainless and you like it (or the super chrome) i can pif you a few packs of the ss's to keep going for a few weeks whilst you see if you are good with them. Only got about 60 packs of them and they work for me. I've not got wiry hair BUT i normally look unshaven a few hours aftr a shave...

hi jon, i'm good for now thanks! johnny sent me a pack of shark super chrome and stig sent me super stainless blade shark. I'll give those a go but judging by what huxley said, they are the blades for coarse hair like mine so i'm going to give that a go tomorrow :).

It's remarkable how two different blades vary! I always assumed they were all the same!!!

Yep i've bought two sample packs (got the second before i've got anywhere near using the first up...)

Bestshave.net are selling the shark ss for under 14 quid for 300 delivered. Took a week and a half from ordering to arrival from turkey.

Half tempted to buy another 300 now.

Nah lots can be different.

jon_hall said:
Yep i've bought two sample packs (got the second before i've got anywhere near using the first up...)

Bestshave.net are selling the shark ss for under 14 quid for 300 delivered. Took a week and a half from ordering to arrival from turkey.

Half tempted to buy another 300 now.

Nah lots can be different.

how long before you go through a blade and start on the new one? And what do you do with the old one? is there any way of recycling it or do you just chuck it in the normal bin?

Dependant on the blade used anything from 2 shaves to 5 or 6 (if i've shaved twice a day). Usually go through on average 2-3 blades a week.

Currently sticking used blades in an empty coke can and then binned though the recycling.

jon_hall said:
Dependant on the blade used anything from 2 shaves to 5 or 6 (if i've shaved twice a day). Usually go through on average 2-3 blades a week.

Currently sticking used blades in an empty coke can and then binned though the recycling.
That is an Excellent idea! You should make a thread about it so idiots like me don't bin them in the landfill bins! I shall do that from now on :) Thanks!

jon_hall said:
There is a thread somewhere on here. Some use glass bottles with a small hole in the lid.

glass is not as good as a can because a can of coke can be recycled as it is, being melted, whereas glass and the metal blades have to be separated :)

Honestly id stick with the super chrome. The stainless is good but the chrome ime are sharper and smoother, antdad on here will testify this.

There aren't many blades i get on with, astras and feather whilst sharp were too scratchy. Derby's too blunt and either missed half my hairs, or ended up tugging them.

Tried all the gillette colours, yellow/green/blue/black it was only the super stainless greens that someone kindly pif'ed me, that i got on quite nicely with.

But for me the shark super chrome were in another league, doesn't matter what razor they go in, i always get a good shave, and touch wood haven't come across any dud blades.

Just watch buying on ebay, as you do get both varieties.

As for a good sharps tin, i use a cheap money tin i got from poundstretcher. It's just a large can with a slit, i marked mine up saying sharps and when done just tape up the slot.

Hi Foo,

my first ever DE shave (before post 3 passes) was the best shave ever. The lather was fine, blade was new and sharp (was derby blade), and the shave overall wasn't that bad. I did one straight down, and two across hair swipes. I think i'm going to try that with my next shave as opposed to the straight down approach only. I'll have another go at mapping my grain direction too.

I think you have been unlucky, it's always so tempting to go for another pass, but in my experience that is usually one too many.

How's your shaving coming along? How long have you been at it?

It's going ok now, but that wasn't the case when I started.
My first DE shave was only 3 weeks ago, in that time I have progressed from using a Derby blade to a Red Personna and then a Feather Hi-Stainless in the Muhle R89.

So it can be done, it just requires patience and a willingness to learn, I'm sure you will be fine.

On a final note, do you (or anyone reading this), know how to use: Proraso aftershave cream.
I find that a small bit isn't enough to cover my whole face. Is this cream designed to be mixed in water or something? I feel i'm missing the point with the aftershave.

I haven't used the Proraso post shave cream, but I would tend to apply it liberally, you can always reduce the amount you use at a later date.
At the moment you want as much skin soothing effect as you can get.
I can't imagine you would want to dilute it in any way

quattrojames said:
Why do you think you need to do so many passes ATG?

what's ATG? Also I did my 4th DE shave late yesterday evening. I fucked up the lather, AGAIN! (very frustrating). The shave itself wasn't too bad. Didn't do too many passes and irritation was minimal :). I also didn't shave against the grain but a few diagonal strokes which felt good and was painless.

However, this morning i noticed that my face had somewhat pimpled up. Anyone else get this. Is that normal? If not how do you stop it? Do you have to constantly use moisturiser or something?

new2DE said:
what's ATG? Also I did my 4th DE shave late yesterday evening. I fucked up the lather, AGAIN! (very frustrating). The shave itself wasn't too bad. Didn't do too many passes and irritation was minimal :). I also didn't shave against the grain but a few diagonal strokes which felt good and was painless.

ATG = against the grain.
Well if it was painless then you are heading in the right direction :icon_smile:
As for lathering, I always lather up on the face, if you rub some lather from the brush tips between your fingers, it should feel slippery, which is precisely what is going to allow the razor to glide over the skin

However, this morning i noticed that my face had somewhat pimpled up. Anyone else get this. Is that normal? If not how do you stop it? Do you have to constantly use moisturiser or something?

I'm beginning to wonder whether your skin is reacting to the Proraso, do you have another soap and or after shave balm you can try just to see?

new2DE said:
what's ATG?

ATG = Against the grain.
XTG = Across the grain.
WTG = With the grain.

The pimples aren't normal and the majority of people shouldn't require the permanent use of a moisturiser.

Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, what do you apply after you've rinsed your face?

quattrojames said:
Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, what do you apply after you've rinsed your face?

i wash off shaving cream with water then sometimes i apply alum block then rinse, then apply aftershave, but yesterday i skipped alum block as there wasn't much irritation and after washing my face with cold water i applied aftershave.

[
23rd June 2011, Second De shave. Same as above. Very painful and up to 6 passes on the throat area, against the grain. ]

Wow 6 passes, thats gotta sting. I've only started de shaving a few days ago. 2 passes for me first WTG second XTG, not the closest shave but looks presentable enough and will stick to this way for a week or two untill i get better and my face gets used to it.

Back
Top Bottom