I am new to DE Shaving - here's what I just bought!

Hi, Edwin Jagger razors are generally very mild to use. I rarely do more than two passes. It may be tempting to press, or to have to 'feel' something as you shave - i.e. have some kind of feedback when shaving. With my razor, EJ Chatsworth Barley, I don't get a lot of feed back, and the shave is very mild, and I'd rather not have an aggressive razor because I don't want to risk getting a rash or soreness.

I have only been DE shaving for 1 month, and am still experimenting with different blades. It won't be long before my Ingrams shaving cream reaches its Morden stage - the end of the tube, which I've had for nearly 6 weeks (previously used the Azor, and BIC disposables with this cream). Then onto Men U cream. So, take your time, don't try too hard. After all, it's only shaving.

With regards abbreviations, I also have:

XTGL - Across the grain to the left
XTGR - Across the grain to the right.

I even thought of this one for head shavers:

XTB - Across the brain!

Hiya,

Couple of thoughts after reading a good bit of this thread. To the OP, it takes a few weeks before everything starts coming together. Until then it's gonna be trial and error...heavy on the error side. You gotta learn a bunch of stuff all at once, and any screw ups (including the prep) is gonna result in a lousy shave.

The next couple weeks after that is when musle memory kicks in pretty well, and your lather and razor technique will be improving quicker. Eight or ten shaves is not gonna do the trick. Oh yeah, stay with the same razor and blade type during that first few weeks. It'll screw up your reference point if you don't.

Now to the members who have those Muhle/EJ heads and really like em: I can't for the life of me get a decent shave with those things. No, it's not because they're a mild razor (which they are), but more the sad fact that this head just isn't a good fit for me. They're not an aggressive razor, but they shave like one.

Tried two versions...EJ89L and a Lined Chatsworth, and neither one felt good on my face. Wanted to love that new head design, but no go.

Just another point of view about that well received new head,

Martin

found this awesome video i thought i'd share with you guys :). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI

Not comparing it to my shaves, I have noticed I have been holding my razor at too low an angle and it is probably why my shaves haven't been too good. I'll give it another go following some tips on this video. I was also being really anal about not passing over the same area twice and left bits of hair inbetween! Mantic seems to narrowly overlap the unlathered area on this video! I'll give that a go too :). And the part about shaving in from the edge for the moustache is an awesome tip! :D

Mark (mantic)'s videos are certainly a must-watch for all novice DE shavers. Keeping the angle of the razor consistent and using no pressure - just letting the weight of the razor keep the blade in contact - are the two most iimportant things (after proper prep and lather) to concentrate on in order to achieve a comfortable shave.

Just had a shave and tried the EJ pre shave lotion (free sample) and still on the shark blades. I found the pre shave lotion really helped with the lubrication. It felt great! I also used the EJ post shave aftershave and i prefer it to the proraso (or maybe it's just because it's a change from norm?). I tried against the shave moustache for fun and it wasn't too bad. Not as bad as my first ever DE shave. I got a few blood spots but the alum block sorted that out fast :).

Still having problems with the pesky throat though! I did a swipe straight down and two swiples across the grain. Still got patches of longish hair but over all I am happy. Funny thing about the throat is after a day, I'll find the odd 3/4mm long hair on my throat which I pull up and get frustrated over. Anyone else get these and if you used to/anyone know how to get rid of them without plucking?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom