"How to Shave" at TGS...

Hello

We have now included our short film on wet shaving into our website, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gentlemans-shop.com">http://www.gentlemans-shop.com</a><!-- m -->. This is a beginners guide to wet shaving and how to get the best from both your shaving brush and traditional shaving products. Although not everybody will agree with this presentation, it is aimed at the many guys that are "shave curious", but are unable to visit a real shop that can provide this advice. I used may daily set up in this film:

Zirh Clean face wash
Castle Forbes Pre Shave
Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
Castle Forbes Lavender Aftershave Balm
Simpsons Duke 3 shaving brush, 3 years old now!
TGS Imitation Ivory safety razor
Personna Red razor Blade

Enjoy, Robert

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKg5r_JkgQA[/video]

Great video Robert. Clear and concise, perfect for beginners. Also it had some information I hadn't heard before. The technique of 'painting' the lather on the face. I face lather so can't see a way of creating lather without swirling the brush around. My EJ brush sheds two or three hairs a day, so perhaps changing my technique will reduce this. Please let me know what you think! :?:

Great video Robert.Interesting thoughts on the painting method of applying lather.I moved it into the shaving help section.

That was so helpful Robert.
Those long slow razor movements! And no against the grain. Would be the first time for me.
Looking forward to returning on Friday for my first ever barbers shop traditional wet shave.

Very interesting...lots of things to discuss.

Long strokes instead of short
Thinish lather instead of thick
Painting instead of scrubbing
Pre stretching the skin.

I must admit to washing the allum residue off before applying anything otherwise it makes me looks like a goth.

Richard, I assume your'e barbers use straight razors/shavettes do they use the same method?

Pig Cat said:
Great video Robert. Clear and concise, perfect for beginners. Also it had some information I hadn't heard before. The technique of 'painting' the lather on the face. I face lather so can't see a way of creating lather without swirling the brush around. My EJ brush sheds two or three hairs a day, so perhaps changing my technique will reduce this. Please let me know what you think! :?:

Hello,

I would always reccomend a paintbrush motion as swirling shortens a brushes life.

Regards, Robert

antdad said:

Pre stretching the skin.

I must admit to washing the allum residue off before applying anything otherwise it makes me looks like a goth.

Richard, I assume your'e barbers use straight razors/shavettes do they use the same method?

Hello,

Our Barbers use this method when shaving customers in our Barber Shop. We use shavettes so that no blades are used more than once to avoid the risk of cross contanination of bodily fluids. Obviously the method is adapted to the direction of a customers beard growth.

Funnily enough we can only use certain balms after applying an Alum block to avid the "Regency Dandy" look!

Regards, Robert

hunnymonster said:
antdad said:

Tommy, who's Richard? :D

Ahh...Sorry I keep thinking of Robert Johnson who played the blues and sold his soul to Gillette, they soon came out with the Gillette Blue.

antdad said:

+1. I wish i could shave as quickly as you did Robert! After 1-2 days my face is like sandpaper. I have to stick to short strokes because of contours on the face and neck especially, and because the razor gets clogged with hair. I have to lather for atleast 2 minutes to soften the bristles and very lightly using the tips of the sivlertip in a circulr motion. I guess it must be the quality of my brush because I have never had a single badger bristle shed. And, I need a thick lather to produce a good cushion. I really wish I had a soft beard :(

Great Production/recording on the video

Thank you for the excellent video, Robert.

I noticed you use the EJ shaving bowl for starting the lather. I have the same bowl and have always wondered why there is that 'knob' in the middle of the bowls surface... My guess was that the 'ditch' around it allows you to accumulate lather whilst continuing to swirl on top of the knob. So instead of mixing it all together, there is still some clean surface on which to swirl (or 'buff' as you say in the video) as the lather grows. On subsequent passes, you can then dip the brush in the ditch and dig up some more lather.

Do you have a different explanation?

Back
Top Bottom