Granola... when did this happen?

I don't mind americanisms, it's the transition to the Bristish English language where a perfectly good word already exists that irks me.

Use of "store" when they mean "shop" has become ubiquitous here now. Look at any advert... "See the full range at your local Argos store now". It's a fucking shop. It's always been a shop. You're not storing things, you're selling them. Why did you have to change the name?

and remember as every Storeman knows, when an engineer asks for something he might be heard to say,

"this is a STORE not a Giving, so no you can't have one"

What I find quite interesting is that some words that we consider as 'Americanisms' such as garbage and pants rather than trousers, were widely in use but then fell out of fashion in the UK whereas they continued in use in the colony.

Similarly, where we changed the pronunciation of words like clerk and derby, they remained as originally spoken in America. Listen to a West Country accent when saying them and you hear more of an 'e' sound than the long 'a' used elsewhere.

Australia, Britain and the USA three nations divided by the same language.

UKRob, got to seriously disagree with the USA pronunciation of clerk and derby being the originally correct ones, I once asked my aunt, who when she was alive, about this as she was a senior lecturer in english language at a university and the UK pronunciation is the correct one, they even use our version in Australia which retains a lot of phrases originating from the days of the prison colonies.

RB73 said:
I warned my wife about using Americanisms when she said she was going to the mall rather than the shopping centre.

"I'll slap your fanny if you carry on."

"Ha!" She laughed, "Who's using them now, dumbass?"

So I gave her a back hander to the c**t.

Just artexed my monitor with a half caff skinny latte, thanks very much.

Back
Top Bottom