Granola... when did this happen?

jds

When exactly did Granola take over from Muesli? I fail to understand it as a concept. Isn't it just Muesli that is glued together with sugar or honey or some other equally unhealthy stickiness.

Why does everything become Americanised in time? It really makes me quite annoyed. It is the thin end of the wedge. What next? Will be be buying 'urbs, not herbs and will vegetables routinely be called veggies, sweets become candy and so on. It will happen, mark my words.

Sorry. Rant over.

Jon

I took my seven year old to see Santa at Edinburgh's Christmas market and every time we walked past a sweet stall she would say "Ooh candy". So it is coming.
It also took me ages to figure out that half a cup of chopped scallions was a 125ml measure of chopped spring onions. I don't buy American cookbooks anymore, it's too much effort to translate the ingredient list never mind the cooking methods. What on earth is broil?

I write a food 'blog and refuse to deviate from degrees C (sometimes I chuck in Gas Mark just to confuse things), courgette, aubergine, coriander and the like. Often, I put in translations and love it when a meal has chips on the side ... they're "chips" because they're chips of potatoes, not "fries" even if they're fried; crisps are "crisps", because they're crisp, not "chips" (which are actually slices) ... chips are fried, crisps are crisp. Makes perfect sense to me.

LOL...Swiss or American you takes ya choice buddy.

Powerful food & farming lobbying groups in the US coupled with what was then fairly advanced advertising and marketing campaigns.

Tbf we've been eating shit cereals from the U.S for decades, if it weren't for fortification you'd get more nutritional value from what it was packaged in.

pjgh said:
I write a food 'blog and refuse to deviate from degrees C (sometimes I chuck in Gas Mark just to confuse things), courgette, aubergine, coriander and the like. Often, I put in translations and love it when a meal has chips on the side ... they're "chips" because they're chips of potatoes, not "fries" even if they're fried; crisps are "crisps", because they're crisp, not "chips" (which are actually slices) ... chips are fried, crisps are crisp. Makes perfect sense to me.

I only consider them skinny McDonalds things as "fries", I would never like to refer to them as "chips", because to me a chip is your traditional English "chip".

antdad said:
LOL...Swiss or American you takes ya choice buddy.

Powerful food & farming lobbying groups in the US coupled with what was then fairly advanced advertising and marketing campaigns.

Tbf we've been eating shit cereals from the U.S for decades, if it weren't for fortification you'd get more nutritional value from what it was packaged in.

Have to agree here.

At Katz's Deli in NYC I asked for a bowl of stew and a cheese and tomato sandwich.

The server looked at me in baffed amazement and didn't understand when I repeated the order.

In the end I had to change my order to a bowl of stoo and a cheese and tomaydo sammidge.

This is a true story BTW.

You lot sound like my dad, mind you, I have a low tolerance threshold for that sort of think as well - in particular the emergence of "Proms". Proms are concerts held in the summer at the Albert Hall, anything else is a leavers' party or dinner.

Tall_Paul said:
At Katz's Deli in NYC I asked for a bowl of stew and a cheese and tomato sandwich.

The server looked at me in baffed amazement and didn't understand when I repeated the order.

In the end I had to change my order to a bowl of stoo and a cheese and tomaydo sammidge.

This is a true story BTW.

I suspect that's plain illiteracy rather than being American.

I use Straight Razor Place forum which is predominantly US and have noticed more than once that people typed 'prolly' rather than probably. I don't think it was intentional spelling mistake so it makes me wonder whether 'probably' will be superceded over there.

Back
Top Bottom