Granola... when did this happen?

UKRob said:
I use Straight Razor Place forum which is predominantly US and have noticed more than once that people typed 'prolly' rather than probably. I don't think it was intentional spelling mistake so it makes me wonder whether 'probably' will be superceded over there.

A bit like people here using draw when they are talking about a drawer?

Northam Saint said:
PROM !!!!!! The kids don't have an end of year party or Disco now it's all PROMS !!! That pee's me off !!

Do not start me on this one. I cannot abide seeing dressed up kids in limos going to so called Proms. It makes me so angry I could throw the phone down!!

IanM said:
Trick or Treat?

FFS!

Ian

This one! We get untold kids knocking on the door "Trick or Treat!" I don't even acknowledge it but the Missus buys all sweets for em:mad:
Yet a week later not one kid doing Penny for the Guy in fact most kids don't even know why there is a bonfire night!
And to top it all my son in a burst of sarcasm told me to " do the math" it's naffing MATHS ffs with an S!!

I warned my wife about using Americanisms when she said she was going to the mall rather than the shopping centre.

"I'll slap your fanny if you carry on."

"Ha!" She laughed, "Who's using them now, dumbass?"

So I gave her a back hander to the c**t.

Boab said:
UKRob said:
I use Straight Razor Place forum which is predominantly US and have noticed more than once that people typed 'prolly' rather than probably. I don't think it was intentional spelling mistake so it makes me wonder whether 'probably' will be superceded over there.

Or indeed those that talk about "drawrings" in the sense of illustrations.... and the letter between G & I "haitch" whatever the hell that is?

my pet hates atm is the end of american shows it says

"saty TUned for a clip of next weekes episode"

i think good sir it is pronounced Tuuuuuned not Tunned

and whilst were moaning Toosday should be Tuuueesday

hope you get my drift ;)

hunnymonster said:
Boab said:
UKRob said:

Or indeed those that talk about "drawrings" in the sense of illustrations.... and the letter between G & I "haitch" whatever the hell that is?

I believe there was a Mitchell & Webb sketch on that. That does annoy me too. Also with the alphabet, it's ZED not ZEE.

To go slightly OT there was an expert on cosmetic dentistry on the radio earlier who couldn't pronounce the word "tooth". She kept saying toof, after the five minute interview I wanted to kick her "teef" in. I can't imagine what it must be like to work with her. Perhaps I'm intolerant.

my pet hate is the American pronunciation of solder - they miss out the L. grrrrrrr

as for the PROM thing - it actually sounds a lot cooler than my high school disco memories of dressing up in your best hand me down cords and horrible shirt, then meet your mates under the railway bridge to down as much acquired alcohol as you could steal from your parents drinks cabinet then getting into the disco before the alcohol hits you to avoid detection at the door.

BraveBlades said:
as for the PROM thing - it actually sounds a lot cooler than my high school disco memories of dressing up in your best hand me down cords and horrible shirt, then meet your mates under the railway bridge to down as much acquired alcohol as you could steal from your parents drinks cabinet then getting into the disco before the alcohol hits you to avoid detection at the door.

My High School leavers' do (1996) consisted of a buffet lunch of which my strongest memory is the couscous salad in which the couscous was undercooked, leaving the dish with the texture of damp grit mixed with veg.:icon_rolleyes: At Sixth-Form College (1998), we were much more upmarket, with a dinner-dance at the local stately home-turned swanky country hotel and golf club, for which I had to hire a dinner jacket (NOT a tuxedo, to get back OT) in my size. Mind you, it was worth it when one of the more attractive female students remarked "It's James Bond!" as I arrived. Sadly, the food was pretentious but not very nice - overcooked pork and the stunning achievement on the part of the pastry chef of a sticky toffee pudding with no flavour other than raw sugar.

Gawd bless 'em.

We give them the language, they bugger about wi' it and then they give it back to us.

Fair dues though ... if it weren't for them we'd be speaking German.

Incoming!!!

joe mcclaine said:
Gawd bless 'em.

We give them the language, they bugger about wi' it and then they give it back to us.

Fair dues though ... if it weren't for them we'd be speaking German.

Incoming!!!

Possibly, though I think we might have held them at bay until the Soviets regrouped post-Stalingrad, by which point they'd have been too busy to launch an invasion on us.

Back
Top Bottom