Geo F Trumper soaps

wow - what an eyeopener!

i think i must be looking at the same ebay seller as a lot of you were.

i'll not bother buying the soap but have pm'd norfolkdick on his kind offer. it's always nice to have the opportunity to try things for yourself.

it's odd that the gft house would have such a poor product. i got the impression they were a luxury brand.

anyhoo, the wisdom of the forum has spoken

flip-68 said:
wow - what an eyeopener!

i think i must be looking at the same ebay seller as a lot of you were.

i'll not bother buying the soap but have pm'd norfolkdick on his kind offer. it's always nice to have the opportunity to try things for yourself.

it's odd that the gft house would have such a poor product. i got the impression they were a luxury brand.

I wouldn't call my almond puck a poor product, just a bit disappointing when you consider the price point and the brand cachet. I find the lather lacks a bit of body, perhaps they had cart shavers primarily in mind when they reformulated it where this may be less of an issue. I do find the post-shave skin care rather good. In my view there's plenty of excellent soaps out there for less money. Hence why I wouldn't be in a hurry to shell out my hard-earned for Trumper soaps.

flip-68 said:
wow - what an eyeopener!

I'm with you. Up till now I had no clue this product had changed so much. I wonder when the formula was changed, and how the good batches from bad can be identified.

Weird that I can't remember reading this much negative stuff about em.

Martin

dodgy said:
flip-68 said:
wow - what an eyeopener!

I'm with you. Up till now I had no clue this product had changed so much. I wonder when the formula was changed, and how the good batches from bad can be identified.

Weird that I can't remember reading this much negative stuff about em.

Martin

Agreed. I must have gotten lucky with my recent almond soap purchase.

The soaps from Norfolk Dick arrived yesterday - thank you sir.

The rose has a good strong scent so im going to give that a go first. The coconut has a much softer smell, possibly a vanilla or almond hint to it but im eager to see if it gets stronger once im lathering.

will let you know how i get on!

I have Trumper soaps in 3 fragrances; Rose, Sandalwood and Coconut. None of them are tallow based, but I have no issue at all with the quality of the lather or scent.

They were purchased from a chemist's in Buxton a couple of years ago.

Ian

so, i have finally tried both soaps and have had a good experience with them - they lathered well and were very slick on my face. I had 2 great shaves. the rose scent was much more pronounced of the two so i prefer that one but i am still very pleased with their overall performance. i rate them better than the budget soaps such as erasmic but i would probably buy something from nanny's or the professor before i spent money on them.

thanks again to norfolkdick for giving me the chance to try these soaps - they will certainly be a part of my rotation for the next few months. :)

i bought 2 of the trumper soaps before coming across this thread. they have just been delivered, not sure how you can tell if they are proper trumpers soaps as they aren't labelled as such. had a little test lather - not too bad but haven't had a shave yet with it so will reserve judgement till then

My findings have been mixed. Half of my new GFT have been excellent. Easily one of the better soaps made. The other half were gooey and weird. Not really what I would consider good. Gave those away to my friend. He'll enjoy them as he has yet to experience MdC or the like.

First shave today with the coconut soap. Having read this thread I wasn't expecting much. I loaded my brush much as I would with MWF soap heavy ! I lathered up in one of Steve Woodheads scuttles and had more than enough for 3 passes. The lather performed fine for me didn't dissapear. Wasn't as slick as the fat but what is.
I'll come back to it again in my rotation of soaps.

Brian

I 'fell' for some of the eBay Trumper soaps and after reading the above I'm thinking I don't need a shaving mug, I AM a shaving mug!
However, gave one of them a whirl this morning and had loads of very creamy lather. Not much aroma, but then I have a very poor sense of smell.
I stood the bowl containing the puck in hot water and added hot water to the bowl while I showered. The brush was a Kent Infinity Silvertex.

I've been using my puck of Trumper almond a lot lately. Getting some real lather bombs, nice slick stuff, out of it. I've become a firm believer that if you use a product frequently enough then getting good results out of it becomes 2nd nature, unless it is genuinely a dud product or you have a bad reaction to something in it. Same goes for hardware.

Dipesh said:
With GFT soaps, it's a bit hit and miss depending on if you've got soap from a good batch or a bad batch.

I've had a soap from the bad batch and it was terrible. I've also still got the one I have from the good batch and it is fantastic.

I'm not sure who makes the soaps on behalf of GFT but its not creightons, they only make the creams.

The factory that made shave soap pucks on behalf of GFT, has recently closed down, one on the UKs oldest perfumeries since 1928 in Leicestershire.

Back
Top Bottom