Geo F Trumper soaps

I've looked thro the pages in the review section and thro all the pages in here and i didn't see very much chat about GFT soaps.

im looking at a couple of soaps on ebay (sandalwood and coconut) and wonder if it's worth buying them.

so, whats the opinion of the forum?

cheers,

I gather they used to be quite good but now, without tallow, they aren't. Not that you have to have tallow to have a good lather - that's an argument I don't want to get into!
I had Trumper's Violet soap but PIFfed it to Gairdner for the cost of postage. It had a great smell but was mediocre. Yes, I did warn Grame before I sent it to him!

Greetings

I purchased 1x Violet 2 x Rose and 2 x Coconut from E-bay. Sucker for a 'bargain' and no fool like an old fool! They were being sold as 'end of line' and I was told they were Trumpers and to be quite fair I think they are.

I can say they are quite the worst soaps I have ever tried at any price, the lather does not last long enough to move with the razor from one side of your face to the other, it just collapses in the same way (or worse) then if you try making a lather with hand/bath soap or a squirt of Dove hand wash liquid soap.

I wonder if the reason that so many of these have in the last few months appeared on e-bay is because Trumpers have had their production stopped because they are so bad, I do not know who make Trumpers soap and neither Trumper or the maker is likely to tell us, the e-bay vendor told me the manufacturer also made soaps for Crabtree and Evelyn and Penhaligan's, perhaps it is Creighton's at Peterborough, who knows this is an area where understandably everybody involved is going to keep tight lipped!

The soaps are just usable if you mix them with a cream and glycerine to make an Uberlather. If you want a puck of Coconut and Rose just PM me your address and they are yours for free! I will not be in the least bit offended if on the other hand you tell me to stick them up my a**e! (British spelling with the R!) albeit they are not good enough to wash that delicate place.

Regards
Dick.

As part of my start back to DE shaving a few weeks ago I went & got one these soaps as I remembed being told that they were the bees knees. Having now used it since then I can confirm that the smell is non existent & it's very hit & miss on the lather it makes too. Although to be fair some of that could be done to my varying technique! Having found this forum after I had made the purchase I think I'd try a tube next & see how I get on. I like the look of the Proraso one & the reviews of it are all good.

I'd wondered about their soaps but, thanks to this thread, I'll stay clear! Are TOBS and the rest of the Creighton's offerings held in a similar regard? The only hard soaps (in a bowl) I currently own are Arlington and MWF - neither of which I've used yet.

By the way, I've still got a (slightly used) bowl of Trumpers Lime cream if anyone's interested!

Many thanks to Carl for the violet soap and I have to say I like it. I can get what I think is a decent lather and have enjoyed every shave I'd had with it. Mind you, I used to use cheap Sainsbury's bar soap for shaving with.......

The scent is just gorgeous, lasts longer and I find is a little more intense than the cream - parma violet heaven! It is expensive, for me at least and I won't be buying more once its gone. I have noticed that one or two sellers on eBay offer the coconut and sandalwood really cheap,like half price or thereabouts.

Again, thanks to NTS for a virtually whole soap and PavlovsDog for a a tube of the cream with loads in it. The kindness on this forum is both humbling and fantastic.

Hmmm. I have Trumper's limes and Eucris soaps, and both work really rather well for me. Mind you, most things seem to. Must have good water, or something.

With GFT soaps, it's a bit hit and miss depending on if you've got soap from a good batch or a bad batch.

I've had a soap from the bad batch and it was terrible. I've also still got the one I have from the good batch and it is fantastic.

I'm not sure who makes the soaps on behalf of GFT but its not creightons, they only make the creams.

I was given a puck of Trumper almond soap for Christmas. Whilst I find it OK and delivers a comfortable shave with a nice enough mild scent, it's my least favourite of my current soap rotation - Kent (MWF), Palmolive stick, Trumper almond - and it's by far the most expensive of them of course. I certainly wouldn't buy a Trumper's soap, even at a hefty discount. I haven't tried their creams but from what I've read they're held in much higher regard than the soaps.

Dipesh said:
With GFT soaps, it's a bit hit and miss depending on if you've got soap from a good batch or a bad batch.

I've had a soap from the bad batch and it was terrible. I've also still got the one I have from the good batch and it is fantastic.

I'm not sure who makes the soaps on behalf of GFT but its not creightons, they only make the creams.

I think Cade might like that too. I've got one and it's useless, yet most people here love it.

Tall_Paul said:
Dipesh said:

I think Cade might like that too. I've got one and it's useless, yet most people here love it.

I'd better get my puck out and check! Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Back
Top Bottom