Favourite Sandwich

My all time favourite was the sandwich my old man used to make for me after we'd had a pork joint on the Sunday.

cold roast pork, bit of stuffing but instead of butter he'd use the pork dripping, bit of white pepper on it and a crusty cob.

Can't go wrong with a good bacon and fried egg sarnie, when you toast the inside bit of the bread in the bacon fat so it just goes a litle crispy but only just.

Or my own if I make it, doorstop slabs of fresh crusty bread, proper butter, slab of mature chedder, picked cabbage and brown sauce. guilty pleasure.

My Grandad (1921 - 1971) used to meet his mates down the pub on Sundays.

One would turn up with a huge chunk of Stilton, another would come in with massive onions off his allotment, another would bring the cobs (rolls, baps, whatever) and another would bring the butter.

My Dad tells me those were some awesome cobs.

joe mcclaine said:
My Grandad (1921 - 1971) used to meet his mates down the pub on Sundays.

One would turn up with a huge chunk of Stilton, another would come in with massive onions off his allotment, another would bring the cobs (rolls, baps, whatever) and another would bring the butter.

My Dad tells me those were some awesome cobs.

who bought the pints ;)

Frazzles and salad cream on a white soft roll.

Haggis and tattie scone with tom sauce on a soft white roll.

Banana and brown sugar on white sliced bread.

Many years ago as a lad in Keswick a favourite was a meat and potato pie in a roll from the "top chippy" (the old keswickian). It was red hot but had to be eaten quickly before staggering into the nightclub up the street.

thrifty said:
Many years ago as a lad in Keswick a favourite was a meat and potato pie in a roll from the "top chippy" (the old keswickian). It was red hot but had to be eaten quickly before staggering into the nightclub up the street.

Sounds like Puddin' on a Muffin in Oldham, a dish popularised by legendary Oldham Athletic left back Andy Barlow - who took us to Wembley and the (proper) First Division almost entirely fuelled by the dish.

a Seaside Sarmich of course ....trips to the seaside with a bait box

egg and tomato all squashed up...if really feeling posh add a bit cheese

or maybe cheese and apple

dunno now

davidb said:
Extra mature English cheddar with cucumber and Marmite on artisan-made multi grain Wholemeal bread spread with Normandy butter.

Can't be beaten!

David

I agree but with shop bought 50/50 bread - now there's heresy :icon_cheesygrin:

davidb said:
Extra mature English cheddar with cucumber and Marmite on artisan-made multi grain Wholemeal bread spread with Normandy butter.

Can't be beaten!

David

I agree but with shop bought 50/50 bread - now there's heresy :icon_cheesygrin:

Fish in bread cake ( battered fish in a buttered barm/muffin. From the chippy)
Always consumed when me a two workmates were stopping in Wakefield overnight on business and doing the West Gate run pub crawl

Back
Top Bottom