Favourite 'Gadget'

My wife would not be without our slow cooker.
Although I thing it must drive our dog mad smelling meat bubbling away all day in the house.

We use a pannini press / toasty maker a lot. Much better than the old style breville ones. We use it for toated sandwiches, eggy bread, scotch pancakes and even cooking bacon when camping.

I like my Bialleti milk frother. Great for frothing milk for a cappucino or making the most amazing frothy hot chocolates (which my kids love).

Someone mentioned knife sharperners, I have a Gerber pocket sharpener that lives in the kitchen drawer. It was meant for my Gerber Suspension, but I give the kitchen knives a quick freshen up with it now and again.

My wife likes using her cake-pop maker. It is like a sandwich toaster, but the top and bottom have small hemispherical holes that you fill with cake mixture and its cooks mini cake balls. Then we dip then in chocolate and decorate with sprinkles. Yum. And no calories.... honest.

Another cake device, an icing syringe. Much better then a piping bag, so easy to create thick and even swirls of icing on cup cakes. Then when done, shove a finger in the nozzle to rescue the last bit of icing and chuck it in the dishwasher.

Some nice gadgets there balidey. I've never heard of a cake-pop maker but the results sound yummy.

If our toaster gives up the ghost I'd be tempted to buy one of these:

How cool to be able to see the toast inside and get it just the right colour.

Maybe I bought a turd but I just could not be arsed with my potato ricer, shovelling 3 spud halves at a time and using it like a bull worker seems like a complete pita. After binning it I fell into using two mashers which sound like a chore but really isn't, one course (crush) and one fine (mash) , the fine one is basically a flat plate with holes in it so it is in effect like a ricer but easier to use and clean.

Favorite tool (not gadget) is the original speed peeler, brilliant but simple.

speed%252520peeler.jpg

antdad said:

You see these a lot, but they have always looked like they'd be hard on my delicate hands (I use Fairy), so I like the chunky Goodgrips sort.

31DVvHIYcHL._SY450_.jpg

antdad said:
Maybe I bought a turd but I just could not be arsed with my potato ricer, shovelling 3 spud halves at a time and using it like a bull worker seems like a complete pita. After binning it I fell into using two mashers which sound like a chore but really isn't, one course (crush) and one fine (mash) , the fine one is basically a flat plate with holes in it so it is in effect like a ricer but easier to use and clean.

Perhaps the ricer you had was on the small side, mine is no bother - probably three loads of potato to squish for a family meal. Saves all that mashing, plus I just rinse it under the tap as soon as I've used it and it's easy to wash later. That said it sounds like you've got a good system and I expect your mash is beautifully fluffy.

Pig Cat said:
antdad said:

You see these a lot, but they have always looked like they'd be hard on my delicate hands (I use Fairy), so I like the chunky Goodgrips sort.

31DVvHIYcHL._SY450_.jpg

We have one of them Goodgrips, I love it but SWMBO hates it. I find it easy and quick to use.

As for my favourite cooking gadget, has to be the Kenwood Chef, great mixer.

Sky + demand best gadget ever as I choose what I want to watch most of my TV for quite sometime as been downloaded and best of all I don't have to watch one more stupid advert 30 X on the remote take take that you annoying fucking adverts.

Pig Cat said:
antdad said:

Perhaps the ricer you had was on the small side, mine is no bother - probably three loads of potato to squish for a family meal. Saves all that mashing, plus I just rinse it under the tap as soon as I've used it and it's easy to wash later. That said it sounds like you've got a good system and I expect your mash is beautifully fluffy.

The handles used to flex under the strain but maybe I should cook the potato first.

PhilD said:
Not for eating with, but for stirring teabags in the mug and then – crucially – twirling it so the teabag wraps around it to be 'wrung out' against the side of the mug and then be lifted cleanly to the bin.

Or get one of these:

12644_1

Tea Tool (Less than £5).

Squeezing the tea bag releases the tannin, which is what leaves your mouth dry. Try leaving the bag in for longer, giving a quick stir and not squeezing the bag - much better :)

Re: RE: Favourite 'Gadget'

justcallmegreg said:
Squeezing the tea bag releases the tannin, which is what leaves your mouth dry. Try leaving the bag in for longer, giving a quick stir and not squeezing the bag - much better :)

Like Grandma said, Don't bully the teabag!

Just been to the Ideal Home show in London. Picked up a Cheese Mill:

hd-cheese-mill-atlas-1-lg.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zor_9bTiqk0

and a special whisk:

l_8a1e5330-8d90-11e1-a668-977e67800003.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-KCROTWHISK-Action-Rotary/dp/B00C226F9E

The whisk is very similar but not quite the one we have. Makes froth very quickly and easily.

Back
Top Bottom