Favourite 'Gadget'

Last month Mrs PC saw James Martin using a potato ricer on telly and decided to buy one. We've known about them for ages but this must have convinced her to finally get one. I wasn't convinced that using a ricer would be much better than a normal masher, but I was amazed how easy to use it is and what lovely smooth mash it produces. I've just been making fish cakes and in a few seconds turned my boiled potatoes in to lovely creamy mash to add to the mix.

I used the word 'gadget' in the thread title but I'm not sure that something you use at least once a week can really be called this. Anyone else got a kitchen gadget that doesn't just sit in the back of a cupboard most of the time?

I too have a ricer and they are good. I really like my lansky gourmet knife sharpener. It's very good and the knives afterwards are awesomely sharp.

Did used to have a v slicer mandolin which was good until I got lax one day and took the tip off my thumb

Just bought a Sage Multi Cooker which claims to be rice cooker, risotto maker and slow cooker all in one. Haven't yet used it enough to decide whether it's a favourite but I'm looking forwards to trying. Beyond that, my favourite culinary gadget is my Cobb Barbecue - it gets used so much in the summer months and is a doddle to fire up. Can't recommend it enough.

I use a smoothie maker daily for breakfast - it's about as ubiquitous as the kettle for me. It mixes into a travel mug that I can take to work if I so wish.

Otherwise, SWMBO gets regular use of her KitchenAid - the girl seems to live on cake and squarer meals than I do, yet remains the same size she was when I first knew her at 17. Remarkable.

Crinkle cutter.

So '70s. I love crinkle cut chips, carrots, cucumber, whatever. Love it!

I do mean to buy a potato ricer. My mash is renowned for being gorgeous soft and creamy, but I can't help thinking a ricer would be a good shortcut. My masher is proper knackered - I got it from a charity shop when I first left home and I've bought a number of them since, but none are as good as this one.

But yes, crinkle cutter :D

Brianpilman said:
Did used to have a v slicer mandolin which was good until I got lax one day and took the tip off my thumb

We had a mandolin that we bought off a chap demonstrating them at Bakewell market. It was very good but we didn't replace it when it broke. I had a few near misses with that lethal blade.

Our slow cooker had so much use that it blew up the other day. Ended up replacing it with this from Argos which I think is rather a decent bargain.

Another favourite that I use loads is this:

31yfVahOP2L._AA160_.jpg

A really good whisk that to me is much better than the normal-sized ones.

Kettle, toaster, microwave.

I think the wife has a tin opener and maybe a sieve, although it is a knight's helmet when I'm in the room where cooking and washing-up happens.

Kitchen.

That's the fella.

joe mcclaine said:
Kettle, toaster, microwave.

I think the wife has a tin opener and maybe a sieve, although it is a knight's helmet when I'm in the room where cooking and washing-up happens.

Kitchen.

That's the fella.

Look you're very welcome to start your own thread on moustache wax viscosity or those weights with the cannonballs on the ends that circus strongmen used in the nineteenth century. And another thing, you do know that cooking is incredibly macho - just look at Gordon Ramsay, Gary Rhodes...er...Nigel Slater? :s

My most useful is the humble bamboo chopstick. Not for eating with, but for stirring teabags in the mug and then – crucially – twirling it so the teabag wraps around it to be 'wrung out' against the side of the mug and then be lifted cleanly to the bin. Needs a Youtube video, really.

Also good for stirring a glass cafetiere without fear of trashing it.

Back
Top Bottom