Favourite 'Gadget'

hunnymonster said:
The best gadget in our kitchen is Ken.... he's a Chef - from the 1960s.

IM.0389_zp.jpg

we inherited a 30 year old one of them

its slightly discouloured but built like a tank

Thanks for the link Antdad, that looks like the item that could improve the quality of my life; although not sure I like the 'swivel' action going on there. And thanks for the pointer Pigcat; I'll risk the £3.99 and report back in the fullness of time.

soapalchemist said:
Sorry to raise your blood pressure pjgh, TBH, what with being Irish living in England and a Youtube addict, I don't know what language to speak at all at all.
Now if someone could point me in the direction of a perfect potato peeler, I'd be sorted. I've tried Antdad's 'tool' and don't like it. (Now, that just came out all wrong:s). Those things don't have the ability to winkle out bits you want to winkle out. I Googled the one posted by Pigcat, but can't find it - and I like the look of it. Reason being, that the cutting edge is close to the handle. I think that would make it less ultimately painful to use, as less......leverage? Can someone post me a link to where I can get one like that, the main criterion being that the cutter be close to the handle. Soft handle would be a bonus.
When I cook, it does tend to involve peeling potatoes.....ach, you can take the bog out of the woman, but....etc. :)

How about a slant?

Gathering up the strands of the thread: Kenwood chef with potato peeler attachment

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1aP_1RvYk[/video]

Sorted. :angel:

Homemade bug-sucker.

Bugsucker_zps104757ca.jpg

I had one of those tube things with a battery-powered sucker fan to catch insects with but the fan wasn't powerful enough.
Replaced the fan with a Dyson hand-held vacuum cleaner and hey presto and bug catcher that nothing can escape from.
Reaches up into the corners of the ceiling or equally works pointing down towards the carpet. Disposal of insects can be done later when can be arsed.

Love the drill idea Nishy. :) I tried the Oxo one Pigcat recommended today, as I was away in Ireland until yesterday. I like it and think it is ahead of my older one, although I find the top of the handle tends to bang against my right thumb when I'm peeling; but overall it is more comfortable, and very sharp.

soapalchemist said:
Love the drill idea Nishy. :) I tried the Oxo one Pigcat recommended today, as I was away in Ireland until yesterday. I like it and think it is ahead of my older one, although I find the top of the handle tends to bang against my right thumb when I'm peeling; but overall it is more comfortable, and very sharp.

Glad you like it. Hope the banging gets gentler as you improve your technique...try a different grip or coming at things from another angle... :s

(I got this advice from a book called The Joy of Spuds. Lots of line drawings of a very hairy man peeling potatoes)

I don't really do kitchen gadgets; I don't peel veg and prefer hand chopped garlic - lets you choose the strength of the flavour. Very rarely use blenders or electric stuff.
BUT I love my newly acquired ceramic coated frying pan (with lid) never encountered non-stick like it and the fact it is white is quite handy. The other would be my cheapo Korean cast iron casserole dish - which is a joy both to use and for the flavour it imparts.

Thanks Pig Cat, I'll work on my technique to suit this new device.
Count, I was sorely tempted recently to invest in a ceramic frying pan, but decided that with two cast iron pans already, I couldn't really justify it. Now I'm being tempted again. :)

Back
Top Bottom