Faster PC performance

I don't know, certainly had less of the "freakouts" where the system just freezes for 5 minutes. OS is still sluggish esp when opening programs.

n1vlo said:
a fresh install is the only way...the other stuff is smoke and mirrors

but install linux mint or another flavour.you wont get slow downs

I agree Linux is a better OS. However, you can run linux mint from the install media without install, AND it's probably still faster than windows.

eneville said:
n1vlo said:

I agree Linux is a better OS. However, you can run linux mint from the install media without install, AND it's probably still faster than windows.

You forgot to add IMHO.

One thing I used to do was to just delete the registry. That worked up to Windows XP, which was the last version of Windows that I used. The registry files were named user.d* and system.d* in your user directory and the Windows directory. I think it was just user* in C:\docume~1\user and C:\win*.

Cleaning the registry may not get you much more than just deleting it. Probably as good as doing a reinstall anyhow. Both leave you with a system that you have to reconfigure (although, a reinstall wouldn't remove the user.d* files), arguably you have to do more. However, if there's junk in your registry then you don't have much option if that's what is slowing the system down.

Once/if you have a clean slate, use norton ghost, or if you're up to the task, CloneZilla, to back your system up.

However, if you're just really pissed off with it all, like I was, try Linux or one of the unixes. There's some great sites out there that may help convert you. Things these days are a lot simpler than they were when I switched, somewhere around 1998, I've never looked back. Computers are generally not used like they were by most people in the golden days, a lot of the time most people don't have email clients configured and the system is just a facebook/gmail/hotmail client.

Switching is easy, you can try before you install, http://getgnulinux.org/switch_to_linux/. I describe on my site (link in sig below) why I think Linux is a better system. If you're not computer savvy, then it's even more important to not use something like windows that's so infiltrated with junk and spyware.

This is just my view, some will easily say, "Get a 'mac", in reality an Apple iMac is a unix system with a fancy GUI on top. Linux is a unix variant, its just very free and fun.

Tall_Paul said:
eneville said:
n1vlo said:

You forgot to add IMHO.

ykwim, ymmv, 'n' all that.

eneville said:

Indeed. We had a conversation on the forum previously about the need for Unix\Linux fans to continually snipe at Windows.

I still don't understand why some of you do it. Live and let live and all that.

PS - I have been using Windows (and other OS' too) in it's many variants since 1994. Take a guess at how many viruses and other types of malware I have had during that time.

Tall_Paul said:
eneville said:

Indeed. We had a conversation on the forum previously about the need for Unix\Linux fans to continually snipe at Windows.

I still don't understand why some of you do it. Live and let live and all that.

PS - I have been using Windows (and other OS' too) in it's many variants since 1994. Take a guess at how many viruses and other types of malware I have had during that time.

Well in general I think you need to know more about Windows to keep it clean than you do to keep Linux desktops ticking over, which now is as simple as just getting a live CD and working from that.

Had a similar problem with an old Dell that I had. A local office supply store has a special were they will clean and check your computer for viruses etc. For free or near free.
They found my problem was a failing hard drive. For the age of the machine they suggested not repairing it.

Also, MS has mastered this amazing thing called built in obsolescence.
Even the (then) most decent laptop or pc you can afford means that 4 or 5 years later after hundreds of lovely Windows updates your system will slow to a crawl.
Guess what the only viable solution is?

zygalski said:
Also, MS has mastered this amazing thing called built in obsolescence.
Even the (then) most decent laptop or pc you can afford means that 4 or 5 years later after hundreds of lovely Windows updates will slow your system to a crawl.
Guess what the only viable solution is?

To be honest I've never understood people expecting there machine to be fast after that length of time. Software gets more demanding over time on resources which newer machines can handle.

IMHO computer companies spend to long trying to keep old systems running with updates etc.

Well you may feel differently if you spent £1000+ 7 years ago on a top spec laptop which is now essentially useless.
Fortunately my 4 year old quad core seems to be ok with Windows 7, although boot up when new used to be 30 seconds & now it's triple that until you can run any programs.

zygalski said:
Well you may feel differently if you spent £1000+ 7 years ago on a top spec laptop which is now essentially useless.
Fortunately my 4 year old quad core seems to be ok with Windows 7, although boot up when new used to be 30 seconds & now it's triple that until you can run any programs.

I feel that way even more so if it's 7 years old. It was a £1000+ 7 years ago it's probably only £100's worth now. It's obsolete.

If you were to put a Linux system or Mac OSX your probably would have close your original boot times. My 5 year old £1900 MBP is no longer any good for photo editing or 3D work but still boots nice and quick.

What I'm trying to say is boot times aren't everything.

Further to the earlier suggestions, I downloaded Advanced Uninstaller recently and it seems to be better than both CCleaner and Revo uninstaller combined. It has various clean-up functions like duplicate file detection, start-up manager and Registry optimiser and doesn't require special knowledge. Got the full 5 stars from CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-Uninstaller-Pro/3000-2096_4-10069986.html

One point if you do install it, though – I'd suggest not accepting the free trial of the Daily Health Check, it's a bit of a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom