Faster PC performance

Any computer whizzes on here?

My desktop PC is performing rather sluggishly sometimes, pages and apps take ages to open and sometimes I get screen freezes/freakouts for a few minutes.

Is there a way of "cleaning up" my system a bit for better performance?

I'm using Windows 7.

Also it's sometimes malware that can be monkeying around with things. If you're not already doing so, running some thing like

https://www.malwarebytes.org/free/

every once in a while can find and remove malware that get past your anti-virus.

Edit, HairlyMan beat me to it ;-)

Well think all the bases have been covered, so..........
Run your Anti-Virus (Norton is ok but very processor hungry)
Run Malwarebytes
Run CC (Crap Cleaner) the registry cleaner should be the one that makes the most difference as windows O/S leaves a load of crap in your system when you install/remove stuff (back up if it allows you to)
Run the defrag that Paul suggested
Restart you computer and see how it goes.
In the time I ran a P.C. the main problem that slowed it down was corrupt registry files.

a fresh install is the only way...the other stuff is smoke and mirrors

but install linux mint or another flavour.you wont get slow downs

n1vlo said:
a fresh install is the only way...the other stuff is smoke and mirrors

but install linux mint or another flavour.you wont get slow downs

Agree a fresh install back to "factory settings" I have found to be one of the best cures and fixes, after backing up things you don't want to loose.

justcallmegreg said:
Does that not also wipe out windows 7 though ?

My crusty old laptop is in a similar state as the OPs and this is a handy thread :)

Have you got or did you make any recovery discs when you first got it. On most pc's you either get these or a chance to make them. These discs return everything to when you first removed it from its box and switched it on. They restore every thing back to when they left the factory which includes windows and any other pre installed software.

Northam Saint said:
justcallmegreg said:
Does that not also wipe out windows 7 though ?

My crusty old laptop is in a similar state as the OPs and this is a handy thread :)

Have you got or did you make any recovery discs when you first got it. On most pc's you either get these or a chance to make them. These discs return everything to when you first removed it from its box and switched it on. They restore every thing back to when they left the factory which includes windows and any other pre installed software.

Did make them - but where they are now is anyone's guess :(

Will have a dog around when I get chance ...

Did make them - but where they are now is anyone's guess :(

Will have a dog around when I get chance ...
[/quote]

I'm good at putting things away in a safe place, as I put it ! I've taken now to looking where it should be then giving up. Usually later when I'm doing something completely different I'll remember.

The vast majority of systems purchased in the last 5 years have what is essentially a reset to factory settings, it works by having a hidden partition on your hard disk containing everything you need.

It's normally invoked by pressing an F key when you first start your PC, you often have to read quickly to spot it.

Generally this will wipe everything so make sure you backup photos, videos, music etc.

What PC do you have? A model number will help.

SSD will definitely speed things up, but most people can often improve the speed by keeping things neat and tidy first.

Before doing anything too radical, take a bit of time to see when the problems occur.

Is it with all applications or just a few?
Is it just when you are on the internet?
If it is just when browsing, have you tried a different browser? Is the connection OK?

Still do the antivirus/malware scans though.

Back
Top Bottom