Faster PC performance

Installed the malware bytes and running scan now.

HairyMan said:
Before doing anything too radical, take a bit of time to see when the problems occur.

Is it with all applications or just a few?
Is it just when you are on the internet?
If it is just when browsing, have you tried a different browser? Is the connection OK?

Still do the antivirus/malware scans though.

Its most of the internet browsers, use Google Chrome, FF and IE don't tend to work well together with my anti-virus.

danielowenuk said:
The vast majority of systems purchased in the last 5 years have what is essentially a reset to factory settings, it works by having a hidden partition on your hard disk containing everything you need.

It's normally invoked by pressing an F key when you first start your PC, you often have to read quickly to spot it.

Generally this will wipe everything so make sure you backup photos, videos, music etc.

What PC do you have? A model number will help.

SSD will definitely speed things up, but most people can often improve the speed by keeping things neat and tidy first.

Its the Hewlett Packard G5345UK Desktop

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867418&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=ie&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5049773#N476

Like I say, make sure you have backed up everything before you do this!!!!

Obviously doing this will make it like new, you will need to run all antivirus update, windows update, itunes updates etc and restore any backed up up content.

It's a rather extreme step, but one that will ensure your PC is like new.

BTW BACK STUFF UP! :)

a system restore will load all the pieces of bloatware trial shyte again if originally bought from the likes of pc world ..curry's etc...in fact re installing a slow pc system again with unwanted trials

a fresh virgin install windows os only is the way to go...beware tho...depending on when your os was released there will be days of updates to perform...and a treasure hunt to find drivers...oh happy days

Vast majority of PCs aren't supplied with a Windows OS disk, they are supplied with an OEM licence key and a backup partition, so virgin install would be preferable, but probably not possible :)

It's probably easier to remove all the trial rubbish than find drivers etc.

Backup/System Restore/Updates/Restore backed up info good few hours minimum.

While we're on the subject of uninstalling crapware, a recommendation for

http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html

Uninstalls programs and does a thorough check to remove rubbish that is normally left behind.

Ok will have to consider doing the re-install thing another day when I've got a few hours!

Just completed a malware scan - 92 detected items! Which I've removed them all.

CC is the next one I guess after my Norton scan.

You really want to limit all the start-up shit that will result in unnecessary background items running too.

A nice lean Anti-Virus is a must also. Microsoft Security Essentials is very good... free, efficient and effective.

Soluto is a good tool as it tells you what is starting up, how long it takes and whether it thinks it's necessary.

CCleaner has an option too I think.

Anyone considering downloading CCleaner, be careful :(

I have downloaded something, from the links posted, and my IE and Google Chrome sessions are damned awful :( All I get is constant references to adobe acrobat wanting to run something.

I've actually spent real money (cash back promise, let's see what that is worth...) on this sh1t and it's making my laptop worse, not better :(

Be careful with MSCONFIG it has the capacity to break all things.
Defrag is unlikely to make a massive difference these days.

Try add remove programs in Control Panel and remove any programs you don't use.
Soluto in itself slows boot and uses resources but can be handy if you are trying to check boot times.

CCleaner has a handy Startup section and doesn't run all the time.
Most programs that run "in the background" have an icon in the system tray (by the clock) see if there are any you don't use/need and check the settings for the "start with Windows" check box - uncheck it.

Make sure you have enough space on your C: drive (a bare minimum of 10% but preferably at least 20% free)

As ever try and do these things one at a time so :
a) you know what makes the difference
b) you can reverse the change that breaks something you need.

Back
Top Bottom