F1 2013

Not me, one of my drivers I had on the fantasy f1 LTB is running on here retired :(.

Kimi Raikkonen expected to do well, he told his team "the car is good".

I didn't get to see it but followed it on BBC live text.

Just goes to show this will be a very interesting season.

I just hope 'the finger' doesn't win. Would be nice for Kimi to stick one up Ferrari's exhaust pipe.

Overall it was a great race to watch. Fantastic & fully deserved win for the Ice Man & Lotus. It is too early to judge the season from one race & especially one that was raced on a "road" circuit.

if all the planets line up I will be at Sepang this weekend.

An exciting season ahead.

A few weeks ago a thought occured to me about this years title battle, and based on the first race I think it could just be correct.

Next year the cars are going to be very different with the new engines so teams are already working on the design for next years cars. This causes a problem as there is a resource constraint for all teams so they have to make a call on how much they continue to develop this years car, vs what effort they put into Next Years car.

For most teams winning this years championship is very important, teams like Ferrari, Lotus, and Mercedes and McLaren who need a championship win after a few dismal years. They need to win to keep the sponsors happy.

Red Bull on the other hand probably don't need to win this year, having had 3 very successful years, one year taking a back seat won't hurt them, they could well be putting all their effort into next years car and just ticking over this year. I can see them not making too much of an effort this year, and hence not making much impact, with their eyes firmly focussed on having the best car for the 2014 season. This could make this years title challenge much more open.

I will probably now be proved completely wrong with a return to Red Bull dominance next weekend.

Lose the beard said:
I think it is going to be Kimi's year.

I looked down the list of drivers the other day, and thought to myself that if I was a betting man, I reckon a few quid on Kimi could be a good move.

Ian

Write off Red Bull and 'the finger' at your peril. I can see your point from a resource and spending point of view but Vettel is a determined and driven wee devil and I'll bet he's got his sights trained firmly on Schumacher's records especially his title haul. He's got used to winning and won't want to give that up easily. It will be very interesting indeed to see the season unfold.

That said, I hope somebody else wins especially Lewis or Jenson but the latter is rather a long shot. How long since Lotus last won a title? Now that really would be quite something so I hope they can continue their great start and maintain a strong challenge. Unless Grosjean wipes out Kimi every other race with his madcap antics!

After we finally had qualifying I must admit that I had Kimi down as a dark horse. He is well worth watching this season, he came 3rd in 2012 after spending two years out of the sport.

Re: RE: F1 2013

mattlad said:
After we finally had qualifying I must admit that I had Kimi down as a dark horse. He is well worth watching this season, he came 3rd in 2012 after spending two years out of the sport.

That's my thinking. No one really talked about him much last year, he just quietly got on with consistently scoring points and ended up 3rd in the championship well ahead of his team mate. He has now scored points in his last 18 races, that is pretty consistent.

I hope he does well, I would like to see someone other than Vettel take the championship, not because I dislike Vettel, I just think we could do with a different winner. Given the choice of Lewis, Fernando, or Kimi, I would prefer to see Kimi win.

Gairdner said:
How long since Lotus last won a title?

1978, Mario Andretti
79812d1209413993-2008-monterey-historics-gglc-lotus-corral-mario-79.jpg

Qualifying showed us how quick the red bull is this year. Nearly a second faster than the chasing pack.

The race was different because the red bull chewed its tyres up, while the lotus was much kinder to its rubber.
But the track was slippy and cold, and tyres don't work well on slippy tarmac.
This weekend, on a hot track, I would put my money on the red bull being very very fast indeed.

Hope I'm wrong. Kimi is far more entertaining to watch. And I want a close season, not ze finger week in week out.
But I fear that red bull are the ones to beat. And I suspect ferrari are the ones closest to them.
I usually think if one car in a team finishes way ahead of the other, the driver has made the difference.
Both ferrari 's were strong. Both McLaren's were mid pack. Both Mercedes were similar until nico broke down.
But Kimi was miles ahead of his team mate. I think Kimi drove the socks off that car.

Back
Top Bottom