Closed European pass-around: Bunny V3

I often use aggression and efficiency interchangeably, although I also think of aggression as tendency to bite whereas efficiency is just about amount of hair removal.

Actually there are lots of good diagrams out there on the Internet which quantify aggression in terms of blade exposure and blade gap...
Some of the best razors I know have a big blade gap but small blade exposure, and the Bunny with the WILD comb feels just like this.

For me the opposite of aggressive is tame or mild, whereas the opposite of efficient is inefficient. The best razors for me are tame and efficient. Examples are the Bunny V3, the bakelite Merkur 45 and the 1912 with a shimmed GEM blade. Aggressive and efficient would be the MÜHLE R41. Aggressive and inefficient would be a straight razor, but that's only because I'm still crap at using one. Or a Durham Duplex with a dog dresser blade. :eek: Or anything with a shit blade. Tame and inefficient would be a Merkur Progress at its mildest setting or any number of razors that don't bite you, but leave you with a less than perfect shave. Like an injector razor with the blank still in place. Not that I've ever tried that :p
That's how I think about aggressive/efficient. Feel free to think whatever makes sense for you.

I get a nice shave with a Muhle R41 in one pass and touch up, but I can also get a nice shave from a Jagger/Muhle R89 after three passes and touch up, actually only razor so far I really have not come to grip with is a Fatip Piccolo maybe it is the combination of aggressive and open comb causing me problems.

I often use aggression and efficiency interchangeably, although I also think of aggression as tendency to bite whereas efficiency is just about amount of hair removal.

Actually there are lots of good diagrams out there on the Internet which quantify aggression in terms of blade exposure and blade gap...
Some of the best razors I know have a big blade gap but small blade exposure, and the Bunny with the WILD comb feels just like this.
The Bunny has a lot of blade Exposure & a Small blade Gap if you Look..A lot of the stuff on the Internet is Wrong..The Blade Exposure is far more Important than Blade Gap..You have it the Wrong way Around & this One gets perpetuated in Forums..:eek:

Adjustable DEs do work by creating more Gap on the Vertical Plain Yes..But a DE razor has its Limits because of that Method...Injectors work by adjustment on the Horizontal Plain..That is say Adjusting the Actual blade Exposure & that's what makes them so Darn Efficient..All the Schick Injectors from the Type E1, E 2, E 3, E 4 & E 5 to the Type G have an Identical Blade Gap..;)

The difference is the blade Exposure on the Horizontal Plain..That is to say that the Comb is further back on the Most Aggressive Type E 1 & as they move through the Timeline the Comb is moved Forward for less Blade Exposure all the way through the various Models making them Milder..The Blade Gap was never Changed..:p

Billy

This makes sense, since the Bunny has a small range of effective angles, something that I associate with small blade gap.
The construction of the Bunny means that it could be used as an "ivette" with no comb at all - I got good results with a Schick E with the guard removed (but blade stops still in place) although it was a rough shave.
You can learn a lot about razor geometry that way...

Kept the MILD comb tonight but changed to the Schick II twin blade:
8f7d2883101a578babd94898bfbb19ab.jpg

With the twin blade and the MILD comb there's some good audible and tactile feedback, and it's a beautifully smooth shave.
The easy ATG that the Bunny affords means that this really doesn't feel like a mild razor at all, although on my neck the slight reduction in cutting power compared to the other combs does show up, and my neck requires more work (hence more possibility for irritation) with this comb.

On this fourth shave the technique has really clicked, angle and grip feel completely natural and it's become clear that a slick lather is best.

But loading the twin blade proved very problematic although Macoronus didn't report any issues.

Even with a twist of the key, the retaining lip of the head didn't lift far enough to allow the twin blade to slide under, and I had to insert a thumbnail between the lip and the old blade to make a sufficient gap.
Perhaps the adjustments made before I received the razor have caused this but, like all the other teething troubles, it's very easily remedied.

And the resultant shave is very pleasant and smart although I'm clear that for regular use I would never employ the MILD comb.

And this also confirms my feeling that the MILD comb gives the Bunny characteristics akin to the traditional injectors whereas the other combs make it something other.
ad8dfe0d84aa957cd700919a0726bcdd.jpg

But loading the twin blade proved very problematic although Macoronus didn't report any issues.

Even with a twist of the key, the retaining lip of the head didn't lift far enough to allow the twin blade to slide under, and I had to insert a thumbnail between the lip and the old blade to make a sufficient gap.
Perhaps the adjustments made before I received the razor have caused this but, like all the other teething troubles, it's very easily remedied.
Interesting. I tried to get a (Japanese) twin blade into my Bunny, but failed. I didn't try very hard though as I was pressed for time and I put another Chick blade in instead. That blade has a few more outings and I'll try again then. Looking at my thumbnails I might have to wait until they grow back a bit :p:p

This makes sense, since the Bunny has a small range of effective angles, something that I associate with small blade gap.
The construction of the Bunny means that it could be used as an "ivette" with no comb at all - I got good results with a Schick E with the guard removed (but blade stops still in place) although it was a rough shave.
You can learn a lot about razor geometry that way...

So I must ask. Are you going to give a no comb shave a go? As the blade stop is built in it is possible. I do not have the nerve to try it.

Tom

So I must ask. Are you going to give a no comb shave a go? As the blade stop is built in it is possible. I do not have the nerve to try it.

Tom

Well..Tom..Their is Nerve & just Bein Daft for the sake of it..Me neither..:eek:

Billy

Well since you ask I'll give it a go, although there won't be a video...

...It's funny that people's first reactions to the devette, sevette and ivette are "OMG that's stupid!" when in fact these modified razors are much easier shaves than Feather Artist Club.

The devette originated in the 1930's when some men ground the combs off of their Gillettes to get a better shave and this works very well with SEs and injectors too.
The resultant shave is super close and irritation free (especially if you use steep angle shaving) but skin stretching has to be used, as it does with straights, because there is no guard or comb to flatten the skin and redistribute pressure.
It really is an awesome shave and not to be feared but, like Feather AC and straights, respect IS required and bad technique is paid for in blood.
But good technique is handsomely rewarded.

The combless Bunny could be the shave that dreams are made of [emoji3]

Lather Catcher Bunny!
a7a28de8684aba2c67f0c5bba006b2f7.jpg
So only 12 hours on from the last shave I've been prompted (or maybe incited?)to try the Bunny as an ivette by using it without a comb and here much against my better judgement is a brief video do demonstrate:
The Bunny suits this very well since it's not bitey at all and it's easy to use a steep angle because without a comb the range of effective angles opens up massively.

And the gap where the comb was turns the Bunny into an INJECTOR LATHER CATCHER!

Of course, as with devettes and sevettes, this is a very close shave indeed requiring no pressure, no pressure and no pressure.
It's not very smooth, works best with skin stretching and makes the Bunny very loud indeed!

Although the WILD comb gives a much smoother and more comfortable shave of comparable efficiency, the combless ivette Bunny is guaranteed to leave the skin completely calm and irritation free.

Don't fear this and give it a try at least once - you may be amazed!
73d4c5fe43ddf2335124cb3d56a23fd3.jpg

Last edited:
Lather Catcher Bunny!
a7a28de8684aba2c67f0c5bba006b2f7.jpg
So only 12 hours on from the last shave I've been prompted (or maybe incited?)to try the Bunny as an ivette by using it without a comb and here much against my better judgement is a brief video do demonstrate:
The Bunny suits this very well since it's not bitey at all and it's easy to use a steep angle because without a comb the range of effective angles opens up massively.

And the gap where the comb was turns the Bunny into an INJECTOR LATHER CATCHER!

Of course, as with devettes and sevettes, this is a very close shave indeed requiring no pressure, no pressure and no pressure.
It's not very smooth, works best with skin stretching and makes the Bunny very loud indeed!

Although the WILD comb gives a much smoother and more comfortable shave of comparable efficiency, the combless ivette Bunny is guaranteed to leave the skin completely calm and irritation free.

Don't fear this and give it a try at least once - you may be amazed!
73d4c5fe43ddf2335124cb3d56a23fd3.jpg

Ok you have sold me. I will be trying it.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom