Are you a smoker

• Never smoked

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Ex-smoker

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Smoker

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
I started smoking cigs when I was 6 years old - the older kids of the village dared me and I wasn't letting them laugh at me choking and going green. Through the next few decades I would smoke cigs, cigars, cigarillos and an occasional pipe as the whim took me, never really caught on to pipes and I couldn't 'not inhale', even cigars. To be pretty honest, I don't think I ever really liked smoking, but I was habituated to the ritual and acts of smoking, it was at times meditative; especially when writer's block would rear its ugly head.

I don't tend to think of myself as a non- or an ex-smoker. I'm just not having the next ciggie - I just keep on not having the next one, like any good little recovering addict. I haven't had the next cig for almost 10 years now.

I still get a craving for smokes a couple of times a year ... so far, I just haven't had the next one.

• 5'11.75" at the height of my height. Now somewhere between 5'10.75" and 5'11.25" what with gravity and compression and such I guess.[/list:u]

never

the greatest thing the nanny state has foisted upon us is the smoking ban

she smokes and it really gets on my tits

but i love the smell of baccy in a tin

The poll results are interesting (I know that some people have been unable to vote) and I think that the number of non-smokers should actually be higher, but it is pleasing to see the number of people who have been able to give up the dreaded weed! Well done chaps!

I actually found giving up easier this time than the times before for the following reasons:

1. I was actually becoming really fed up with everything to do with smoking and I was beginning to hate myself for being addicted to the little white sticks;
2. I will be 40 at the end of this year and wanted to be off them before then;
3. I have 3 young children and I did not want them to see me slowly kill myself;
4. The ban on smoking in public places has really helped me as I very rarely come across smokers nowadays;
5. A few years ago I took up mountain biking and managed to get myself reasonably fit again, but the smoking was holding me back. Since stopping I have found that the limiting factor is my muscular strength and endurance rather than my lung capcity :)

However, I will not let myself become complacent about smoking as I sometimes would really fancy that almost instantaneous hit of nicotine that you get from smoking, but then I remind myself that it only lasts for a few seconds and I dislike everything else about it.

PeterFranks said:
Andsomebodyspoke said:
I am still trying to give up. - I haven't had a cigarette for five years !

Pity, you could have changed your name to Andsomebodysmokes.

Don't worry, I'm here all week.

Isn't the line "Found my way upstairs and had a smoke" the line before "And somebody spoke and I went into a dream"?

Just checked the lyrics of the song and that is the case.

Andy - I think you need to change your username and then maybe the smoking thing will get easier ;)

The phrase "giving up" implies sacrifice!

In truth extricating oneself from a drug dependency isn't much of a sacrifice; the positives (health, wealth and control) far outweigh any negatives.

I firmly believe that the key to being a content ex-smoker is to let go of the idea that you are depriving yourself. You're not, you've just stopped poisoning yourself, after all the 2nd usage of nicotine is as an insecticide, sure you got the occasional buzz but most of the time smoking was just a relief from the bodies desire to maintain sufficient nicotine levels. You can experience similar relief by drinking a litre of tea before a long car journey, when you reach your destination and finally get to have a slash its just as good!

PeterFranks said:
Andsomebodyspoke said:
I am still trying to give up. - I haven't had a cigarette for five years !

Pity, you could have changed your name to Andsomebodysmokes.

Don't worry, I'm here all week.

Not bad for somebody that's there all week !!! - :lol:

Perhaps I could change my name to "Wokeupgotoutofbeddraggedacombacrossmyhead."

Back
Top Bottom