Do you care where your bristles come from

Apart from a small supply from Finland/Russia, the vast majority is Chinese. Badgers are classed as pests to farmers and are culled - I don't see any ethical difference in using badger hair than I do in wearing leather.

Agree. I mainly use badger brushes. I have a couple of excellent boars (and a nice mixture) and used a synthetic (yet now they must be really better)... but for me there's nothing nicer than a soft badger brush. Backbone, gel-like tips... Luxurious.

Short answer: No.
Top badger brushes are several times the price of top synthetics. I don't have a badger brush myself, but I doubt that they are several times as good as my synthetics, so I'm not even tempted to buy a badger brush. And that's without considering animal welfare.
YMMV
What brush do you use?

I love my Plisson synthetic. It is soooo soft, but I mostly use my multi-coloured Omega Hi-brush. What a bargain! I won it in the TSR raffle :D I also like my MÜHLE synthetic. On travels I tend to use my MÜHLE travel brush. Recently I've tried to get to grips again with my old enemy, the Omega 49 boar brush. It's huge and great for face lathering when it works, rubbish when it doesn't and impossible to predict which it will be.
Ha! I thought you'd never stop. I was like following link after link! WOW!! So many brushes! I like the Muhle better though.

Last edited:
Ha! I thought you'd never stop. I was like following link after link! WOW!! So many brushed! I like the Muhle better though.
I've got one more brush, a Semogue 620, that came for free with something else I bought, but can't remember what is was, but I don't get along with it at all (yet). And I have a Wilkinson Sword El-cheapo brush that I wanted to throw away until I discovered it's only use: tickling the cat. That's it. All my brushes. There are people on this forum who buy more brushes in a week. :D
The Wilkinson is 10 years old or so. I bought 4 brushes in 2 years and got two for free. I wouldn't consider myself a brush hoarder... Now over to @Bechet for a similar comprehensive list of brushes. Carl, can you top 7 brushes? :D:D:D :p

Last edited:
Amazing what ya find on T'internet.

th

Now over to @Bechet for a similar comprehensive list of brushes. Carl, can you top 7 brushes? :D:D:D :p
Strangely enough, just last evening I found myself standing in my bathroom scratching my arse and thought I'd be better employed counting my brushes. Do you really want a list? From 1 to 141? I noticed another one this morning. 142. I was amazed I'm not way over 150! Frigging insanity - but a lovely choice each day. I can't think that I have any more incoming but have one in the pipeline with Gecko and one or two with Nishy's next GB. I think/hope I'll be cured after those! Ha! frigging Ha!

Strangely enough, just last evening I found myself standing in my bathroom scratching my arse and thought I'd be better employed counting my brushes. Do you really want a list? From 1 to 141? I noticed another one this morning. 142. I was amazed I'm not way over 150! Frigging insanity - but a lovely choice each day. I can't think that I have any more incoming but have one in the pipeline with Gecko and one or two with Nishy's next GB. I think/hope I'll be cured after those! Ha! frigging Ha!
You will be needing a Badger Groomer next ...:D:p:D

Billy

I don't know if I should answer this because I have to admit that I am a total and absolute hypocrite.

The answer is I do care, but I also like my boar and badger brushes. And I like bacon sandwiches, roast beef, leather shoes and wooden furniture.

I've probably said enough now...

Back
Top Bottom