Disinfection & Cleaning of Razors

Festering crud? Really?

A nice mix of soap, bristles, sebum, blood, dead skin that gets a regular warm watering? A fair chance of some critters being cultured in there I'd have thought?

Anyway I'm not too worried about germs either and have an iron immune system, though despite this have in the past picked up foliculitis and warts from filthy public computer keyboards so remain somewhat wary. But cleaning up DEs is about more than just avoiding exotic skin infections, it's about the satisfaction of bringing a razor back to the best condition you can and 'making it your own.' Similar to buying a secondhand car (for those like me who don't buy new!) – would you not want to clean it inside and out and bring the servicing up to date?

A nice mix of soap, bristles, sebum, blood, dead skin that gets a regular warm watering? A fair chance of some critters being cultured in there I'd have thought?

Anyway I'm not too worried about germs either and have an iron immune system, though despite this have in the past picked up foliculitis and warts from filthy public computer keyboards so remain somewhat wary. But cleaning up DEs is about more than just avoiding exotic skin infections, it's about the satisfaction of bringing a razor back to the best condition you can and 'making it your own.' Similar to buying a secondhand car (for those like me who don't buy new!) – would you not want to clean it inside and out and bring the servicing up to date?

We are in agreement about wanting them in best condition. Some of mine look almost like new when I'm done with them. Where we disagree is in the need to risk damaging a Fatboy by disassembling if for cleaning. If my ultrasonic doesn't get it out, I doubt if it's going to fall out while I'm shaving. If you feel better tearing the razor apart, and are comfortable doing it, go for it. I was just questioning the viability of vintage "festering crud".

the biggest mistake with this general thread is not splitting the subject matter down.

consider this, i brew wine and beer at home so we do do a lot of sterilizing and or cleaning.

to "clean" a razor is a mechanical system, tooth brushes and hot water and so forth, i am sure everyone has there own ideas

to "steralise" a razor is a chemical and biological system not a mechanical. to kill germs we use one product, system or method to kill bacteria is a totally separate one

we are talking about three separate issues here under one conversation point and neither of them over lay the other

tumblr_mxka8ebWM41s89fdko1_500.gif

Assuming that we're talking about newly-acquired vintage razors (as opposed to daily/periodic cleaning)...

Obviously, you want to clean it. Some of the discussion, though, seems to border on the scary/creepy. We're talking about taking steps against a pathogen that would have had to have been transferred from host to razor, survived a half century or more in/on that razor, then survived hot water and soap and/or chemical cleaning of the razor, only to still be virulent.

At that point, I'd be more scared of door knobs and toilet seats.

Assuming that we're talking about newly-acquired vintage razors (as opposed to daily/periodic cleaning)...

Obviously, you want to clean it. Some of the discussion, though, seems to border on the scary/creepy. We're talking about taking steps against a pathogen that would have had to have been transferred from host to razor, survived a half century or more in/on that razor, then survived hot water and soap and/or chemical cleaning of the razor, only to still be virulent.

At that point, I'd be more scared of door knobs and toilet seats.
I think being afraid of toilet seats is just common sense. Do you have any idea what people do on those things?

Back
Top Bottom