Disinfection & Cleaning of Razors

Someone seems to have done a bit of research on Fairy, which says that it does indeed contain Sodium Chloride i.e. salt, along with a bucketful of other stuff.
http://www.theecologist.org/green_g...bel/268721/behind_the_label_fairy_liquid.html
It works very well for killing aphids on my greenhouse chillies and vegetables.

Some people swear by washing well with soap, followed by a dip in surgical spirit or isopropyl alcohol, which I have tried, although you'd need to do lab testing to see if "germs" were still on a razor. I prefer the 10-minute dilute Barbicide soak, but I time it exactly. I've seen in various forums that overdoing it with Barbicide on some forms of plating can be damaging, but stainless steel shrugs it off.

Ah well. I'll keep using it on my bikes anyway. Keeps the rust of em.

I think I'm right in saying, if I remember my Latin classes correctly, that you'd need to boil a razor in oil to kill the germs of which we need be really afraid. I think superbugs and the flesh eating one need even more.

How hot is a hospital autoclave?

I behave as if Barbicide protects me from absolutely everything. Am I deluding myself? I certainly don't suffer in-grown hairs.

The whole ship was suffering it to one extent or another but I felt bad enough (super wimp) to visit the Doc when we got to Japan. He could not figure out what was causing my stomach pains and diarrhea - even suggested exhaustion, not likely in a C/E . THe 2md Cook followed after me into the Doc's office. In no time at all Doc burst out of his office, very excited in a Japanese sort of way, proclaiming he knew what was wrong with me.

Seems nobody has dipped the 2nd Cook's cock and hands into boiling oil for a prolonged period. The crew wouldn't let him back aboard to save themselves the bother.

All this Blood Borne Virus Stuff is a Misunderstanding anyway...I used to Do Training on the Subject for Health Care Professionals Working with IV Drug Users..o_O

Hep C & HIV Blood borne Viruses Cant live outside the Body for a Sustained Period of Time..Around 2/3 Hrs or So..Noramlly 20 Min..One Study did Suggest around 24 Hrs but that was Never Replicated..Just to Clarify..Small Microbes can Survive for 2 or 3 Days or Longer Depending on Conditions but they are Not at Infectious levels..:eek:

Hep B is another Story but Relatively Rare in this Country anyway...Hep C is Very Common in the IV heroin Using Population at around 75/80 Percent & Not easily Transferred as people might think through Normal every day activates or having Sex & like using a Razor for example..:cool:

I used to advice caution to use Condoms & Not to use an Infected Persons Razor for example...Common Sense..That said Hep C was Primarily Spread through IV Drug using Practices..HIV was Primarily Spread through IV Drug using practices & of Course Unprotected Sexual Intercourse..;)

There is an Array of Mis Intel on the Net & Even with Health Care Professionals & that can Include the NHS because I used to Train some of them & had many an Argument with them...:)

Billy

And Necrotising Fasciitis? Which, reportedly, is commonly found on supermarket trolley handles - and thus used razors. Hm! and new ones, by extension.

Barbicide!!!!

I think I'm right in saying, if I remember my Latin classes correctly, that you'd need to boil a razor in oil to kill the germs of which we need be really afraid. I think superbugs and the flesh eating one need even more.

How hot is a hospital autoclave?

I behave as if Barbicide protects me from absolutely everything. Am I deluding myself? I certainly don't suffer in-grown hairs.
I tend not to use it as an aftershave.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This might be a stupid question but what is the definition of soap here?
I have been using carex handwash and a toothbrush after every shave for the past 6 months and it seems to be going ok.
But have just bought a new merkur futur and would like to treat it with the appropriate respect..

This might be a stupid question but what is the definition of soap here?
I have been using carex handwash and a toothbrush after every shave for the past 6 months and it seems to be going ok.
But have just bought a new merkur futur and would like to treat it with the appropriate respect..

That's more than enough, my razors just get rinsed after use and left to dry. If there's a reason for cleaning, whatever soap is on hand in the bathroom gets used (usually Carex).

Don't overthink it, unless it looks scummy or it's going to someone else it's fine.

I use my daughters baby bottle steriliser on any razors bought 2nd hand after a wash in soap and water, however have no idea if this makes the slightest bit of difference.
As long as you don't use sterilising tablets you should be OK. Those tablets do make a difference as they corrode metal :eek:

Back
Top Bottom