Disinfection & Cleaning of Razors

No Wonder some Folks need to Clean their Razors with some of the Scummy Creams n Soaps Goin Around..Check this Out..I used the Proraso Green & I had to Clean the Whole Sink & my Razor from the Nuclear Fall Out it left behind..It went Straight in the Bin..o_O

Young Nick is Spot on Here..:D

Billy

That's more than enough, my razors just get rinsed after use and left to dry. If there's a reason for cleaning, whatever soap is on hand in the bathroom gets used (usually Carex).

Don't overthink it, unless it looks scummy or it's going to someone else it's fine.
Overthinking it is my middle name!! I have to use something to clean it the chrome goes a bit sticky from the ingram so I like to give it a quick brush and a rinse before leaving it to dry...

soap and water kill a lot more germs than the makers of disinfectant would have you believe
Soap doesn't kill anything. It does allow to clean oil based substances that would otherwise resist a rinse with water. I wonder if an autoclave would damage the plating of razors - the reason it goes beyond the boiling point of water (at ~1atm), is the higher pressure that changes the boiling temperature. Maybe imperfections/micro bubbles could cause further damage under the pressure changes.

Wrong. It won't kill EVERYTHING however as to do so would entail autoclaving your hands and even then some would survive.

Too many people here are pole vaulting over a mouse turd. :rolleyes: This topic has been visited more than a courtesy car to a cathouse.
Whoops, mixed those two up. What you said :)

what do you think the previous owner of these razors did with them? i expect they were looked after in the same manner as you'd look after your own, is your own current razor caked in dried blood and bodily fluids and dripping slime?, i doubt it. i'm no expert on bacteria and the like but i'm pretty sure that a razor you picked up in a flea market, that had last been shaved with a year ago is not going to be harbouring anything worse than a bit of soapscum and limescale.

If I buy some 2nd hand razors then they get a good soak in boiling water, soapy scrub and a spray of disinfectant. After that they get nothing more than a rinse under the tap after use unless I sell them on in which case they get the soak, scrub and disinfect treatment again.

I think there's a big difference to be drawn between two- and three-piece DEs on the one hand, and the TTOs and adjustables on the other. The former you can get fully cleaned up easily because all areas are pretty accessible. Whereas with the TTOs and adjustables, there are concentric tubes and other internal mechanisms that cannot be easily cleaned without full disassembly. When you do see pictures of say a fatboy being dismantled, there's a plug of organic congealed gloop between the concentric tubes. A USB might get rid of most of that, but it's difficult to be sure. When the razor is then in use, that festering crud will be drip-fed into your shave. A good boil would at least give some reassurance that bacteria and fungi had been killed off. OTOH, dunking in a liquid disinfectant might well not penetrate enough to sterilize this area. Who knows. Anyway, the last two SEs I bought just got a flush under the hot tap before I used them :)

Festering crud? Really?
Mine get a hot water and dish soap bath, followed by USB, a scrub with a tooth brush and some Flitz for shine and its shave ready. Sometimes I follow with a dip in Barbicide.
I'm not worried about vintage germs.

Festering crud? Really?
Mine get a hot water and dish soap bath, followed by USB, a scrub with a tooth brush and some Flitz for shine and its shave ready. Sometimes I follow with a dip in Barbicide.
I'm not worried about vintage germs.
retro_vintage_kitsch_romance_kissing_germ_free_postcard-re6ddda0cd5bd4b10bf809352a6eb0900_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

:p:D:D

Billy

Back
Top Bottom