Considering Double edge razor - Need advice!

A side note about cartridge razors. Shaving is a skill, cartridge razors are designed to compensate for a lack of skill but they do so at the expense of comfort. If you learn to shave with a DE razor, brush and soap then return to try a cartridge you will be amazed how much better your cartridge shave is.

The key to shaving is preparation and using a light touch, DE razors will require you to do 2-3 passes to get totally smooth. I have found cartridge razors to produce a smoother finish after one pass but after 2-3 the DE wins. The comfort factor is the key though.

These days I shave with an open razor (cutthroat) its not quite as close as a DE but infinitely more satisfying and very comfortable.

Drubbing said:
noobstu said:
Defender said:
I also found the alum block is very soothing after the shave so personally I'd recommend one of these.

Is the Alum block not for just when you cut yourself? It sounds like you use one as an allround post shave treatment?
Alum doesn't stop cuts; it's basically caeveman's aftershave.

Styptic is for cuts.

Styptic is alum in a different form. :cool:

I really don't have much love for alum, i find it hurts like hell and makes my neck well red sometimes, i much prefer using witch hazel its a much nicer astringent in my opinion and seems more gentle on my skin.

I use alum as a deo as well, the tip was picked up here from about 10 other members when I asked about the best underarm stick. I've never had a stinky pit since, even on the longest, warmest days.

I do use it to close the odd tiny nick. I don't get cuts per se, but once in a blue moon if I'm not watching there is the odd tiny one, and it seems to stop those very well. I've never found it "soothing" though.

RobTheWire said:
I really don't have much love for alum, i find it hurts like hell and makes my neck well red sometimes, i much prefer using witch hazel its a much nicer astringent in my opinion and seems more gentle on my skin.

I quite like the alum after a shave but thanks for the tip I will give witch hazel a go as well.

If the witch hazel works for you, at some time in the future our own Prof Blighty makes scented witch hazel aftershave which picky old peeps like me use instead of alcohol based splashes or lotions.
Moi ? Enabler you say ??? Quelle idee.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

JohnnyO said:
If the witch hazel works for you, at some time in the future our own Prof Blighty makes scented witch hazel aftershave which picky old peeps like me use instead of alcohol based splashes or lotions.
Moi ? Enabler you say ??? Quelle idee.

JohnnyO. \:angel:

Yes i also have some of the profs stuff including witch hazel aftershave, i like it a lot :icon_smile:.

Jeltz said:
A side note about cartridge razors. Shaving is a skill, cartridge razors are designed to compensate for a lack of skill but they do so at the expense of comfort. If you learn to shave with a DE razor, brush and soap then return to try a cartridge you will be amazed how much better your cartridge shave is.

The key to shaving is preparation and using a light touch, DE razors will require you to do 2-3 passes to get totally smooth. I have found cartridge razors to produce a smoother finish after one pass but after 2-3 the DE wins. The comfort factor is the key though.

These days I shave with an open razor (cutthroat) its not quite as close as a DE but infinitely more satisfying and very comfortable.

At some point I'm going to have a go with my King Of Shaves Azor razor to see how it shaves, compared to DE shaving. It's most likely that because DE shaving requires attention, as well as straight razor shaving, that may be why cartridge shaving improves. But it is probably only a matter of time before the cartridge shaving slips back into old habits.

Anyway, I have used the Wilkinson Sword stuff before in the 1990s, when the blades were made in England, and the soap was in a black tub. There are still a few around. But I didn't think the soap was that good. At the time Body Shop made a coconut shaving cream which was really good. But there is alot of stuff you can get in the high street. T K Maxx also have shaving creams but their stock tends to be a bit hit and miss.

Yes - at TK Maxx I'd avoid the Knayton Hall and Pecksniffs stuff. Can't get a cushiony lather and bland smells for the former; mediocre performance and hit and miss smells for the latter.

Never tried the Azor but flirting with the injectors (including some twin blades as of yesterday) which I think are similar. I get a better shave out of these as a result of DE (save for the very first one).

Jeltz said:

so i take it you dont do an atg pass with a straight

its tricky on the upper lip but go slow and you wont cut yourself (ive been getting a bbs shave every time lately with my straight)

a friend of mine can never get better than a NANDB

I have the DE Bluebeard razor and find it a lovely piece. You cant go far wrong with that. I equip it with the Astra blades and get great results. The scent of the shave cream and balm is really growing on me too

I've been DE shaving for a few weeks and am now starting to get decent shaves without nicks. I went with an EJ 89 and EJ brush with Palmolive cream then got some Proraso soap. I've been face lathering but will try with a bowl now. When I started I tried out 3 different blades and have been using the Tesco branded Personnas. Sticking with the Personnas has been good as I've been able to concentrate on technique, when I've used them up I'll try a selection pack.

Back
Top Bottom