Considering Double edge razor - Need advice!

1) Will DE shaving be good with sensitive skin. I'd say emphatically yes, way better than running up to five blades over the face at every stroke. Although I'd also suggest that any good cream or soap + a brush will give you your biggest noticeable improvement in general skin condition as against any canned gel or foam with an accelerant.
2) Will you get "better" shaves. Well, that's subjective, however I believe you'll have more enjoyable and comfortable shaves, given a couple of weeks learning curve.
3)Do you need a bowl. Easiest way is tio get a good cream, lather up your brush direct in the tub & then apply to face working well in, at least another half minute longer than you think is enough.
Get the razor which appeals to you, that way you'll be more likely to press on through a learning period. I go along with a Merkur 34 or any of the suppliers who fit an R89 head to their own handle.
Blades, sampler pack from Connaughts or just ask on the forum as mentioned previously.
Have fun.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

WELL!

I must say, you guys are really awesome. What a quality forum!

Loads of sensible opinions, well worded. I thankyou all a bunch.

I decided today, to go for a cheap as chips set of stuffs from boots to see if this is something I would enjoy.....

I bought a boots own brand DE razor for about £4, a wilkinson sword shaving soap for £2.20, and a bristle shaving brush which cost me £6. I came back, had a shower, and went to work....

I followed the mantics youtube guides as reccomended by you fine people and I was delighted with the result.

Yes, the shave took longer but I REALLY enjoyed it. Got a relatively smooth shave, with only 1 (very minor) nick on my chin. Its now an hour later and my face doesnt even tingle. I am DELIGHTED.

So, thankyou all for your awesome advice. Im probably going to upgrade my kit almost immediately. The Edwin Jagger options look decent and a good price too.

Gentleman, you have a new regular forum member! :icon_razz:

/Salute.

Try and avoid the B/S/T forum for a while as it becomes addictive! I went from the boots DE to a ball ended tech to a fatboy then a single edge within a few months. Still got them all and have the start of a nice little collection! but before that you have the soaps and then the brushs and then bowls (if you use them)....however it is very nice to have a proper shave with a nice razor!

noobstu said:
WELL!

I must say, you guys are really awesome. What a quality forum!

Loads of sensible opinions, well worded. I thankyou all a bunch.

I decided today, to go for a cheap as chips set of stuffs from boots to see if this is something I would enjoy.....

I bought a boots own brand DE razor for about £4, a wilkinson sword shaving soap for £2.20, and a bristle shaving brush which cost me £6. I came back, had a shower, and went to work....

I followed the mantics youtube guides as reccomended by you fine people and I was delighted with the result.

Yes, the shave took longer but I REALLY enjoyed it. Got a relatively smooth shave, with only 1 (very minor) nick on my chin. Its now an hour later and my face doesnt even tingle. I am DELIGHTED.

So, thankyou all for your awesome advice. Im probably going to upgrade my kit almost immediately. The Edwin Jagger options look decent and a good price too.

Gentleman, you have a new regular forum member! :icon_razz:

/Salute.

Great stuff !

P.M. Me your address and I'll pop a selection of blades in the post for you.

I was in a similar position recently OP. I got one of the luxury starter sets with the Merkur 34c HD from traditional shaving. Really happy with it. I would post a link but apparently I'm not allowed???

Good stuff. Great you enjoyed it.

In terms of upgrading your kit I think everything has been said that needs to be said except I'd recommend you start with an inexpensive cream like Palmolive, and stick with just that for a month or two.

The reason being it's cheap, readily available, known for being excellent and you need to spend time perfecting your lathering skills using just one product at first.

Anyway, enjoy it. I'm a relative noob and am still loving it.

I would add one thing: Go easy on changes for now:

Try to vary only one part of the shaving set at a time. The smallest change can make a huge difference. To start with you are not only learning technique but also establishing your personal benchmark to evaluate new or old shaving kit with....

(oh, get a Palmolive stick from a supermarket, it costs a quid and most people would agree that although boring as hell, it is a great performing soap)

ebilpirate said:
I would add one thing: Go easy on changes for now:

Try to vary only one part of the shaving set at a time. The smallest change can make a huge difference. To start with you are not only learning technique but also establishing your personal benchmark to evaluate new or old shaving kit with....

(oh, get a Palmolive stick from a supermarket, it costs a quid and most people would agree that although boring as hell, it is a great performing soap)

i will agree its a good soap

a good tip to remember is either have a shower or splash face with as hot water as you can stand before you start your shave

then splash face with cold water after, this will close the pores and sometimes stops some mild nics as well.

it would be worth getting a good after shave balm as well if you havent already (ive got some standard nivea asb that ill occasionally use). till your technique gets better you might get the odd bit of razor burn and you will want to use some to recover.

dont spend too much on your first kit, you will find there are certain parts you like and other's you dont.

for example i just started de shaving after using a straight for just over 6months and i find im not really that keen on the de i picked up

(a good trick ive found with my de at least is if you put it on face with o/c on face and blade not touching then slowly bring down as if to shave then slowly tilt the angle and go back to top of face then back down, till you see the hair being cut, this is not a bad way to make sure you get the angle right

(only increase it slightly each time till it bites the hair)

chrisbell said:
I'm amazed you got decent lather from the Wilkinson soap. I've never tried it, but several of our members reckon that, as shaving soap, it makes good screw lubricant.

No wonder they sell it in Ann Summers.:angel:

Well done noobstu for making the leap. I would agree that for a few pence it really is worth ditching the blue bowl and trying the Palmolive stick or cream. If you buy the stick try grating it in to a bowl and squashing it down. Most chaps feel that makes it easier to use.

Try to take things slowly. Give any change you make to your kit a couple of weeks before you make another. Then you can really see what the difference each change makes.

Welcome to the forum.

I too asked for help on the forum and the response, enthusiasm and advice I got from everyone was brilliant.....here's my story which may help you too:

It all started with me moaning at the wife about the price of the canned goo and how quick we were using it.......next time she went to Asda she came back with a Wilky Boar brush and a tub of blue Wilky soap and that was it, I loved the preparation and began to look forward to shaving and it all escalated from there. Total cost was about £6 for these two items but it gets addictive :).

Bought a Gillette Fatboy from the states on the bay for a very good price, Geo soap, CE shaving mug, badger brush, alum block, syptic pencil all for less than £100 (Only just mind!).

The best bits of advice I was given were take the time to face map and also prepping your face, hot towels really hot water etc even better if you can do it after a shower the stubble nearly melts under the blades touch.

Find a blade that suits you I bought the sample packs from Connaught as advised and it was an excellent idea and I was blown away by the difference the blade makes......get the right one for your skin type and stubble and you'll have no razor burn or irritation. For me this turned out to be the Gillette 7 O'clock Greens but tried loads before I found this out and oh what a difference.

Also the lather makes a difference too so as stated watch some of the videos. I actually like the lather the Wilkinson soap makes and it's very easy to use especially during the week when I'm rushing for work. I save the nice stuff for weekends :).

I also found the alum block is very soothing after the shave so personally I'd recommend one of these.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll love it as much as all the people who have replied to your questions. A few weeks and you'll have a smooth shave with less irritation than you do now and as it's such fun probably a dent in your bank balance as you start to collect other shaving items to try.

Defender said:
I also found the alum block is very soothing after the shave so personally I'd recommend one of these.

Is the Alum block not for just when you cut yourself? It sounds like you use one as an allround post shave treatment?

Alum Blocks are just a nice thing for after the shave - and will tell you where you have been a bit harsh, sometimes you don't always see the nicks especially on the neck

Back
Top Bottom