Closed 'Complete' Pass Around - Russian Adjustable 'Black Jack' DE Razor

Gents, I am going to release into the wild this Russian Adjustable 'Black Jack' DE Razor. Quite clearly, it's a 'copy' of the hallowed Gillette 'Black Beauty' but, with it's 'coffin case', chunky construction and reassuringly solid adjuster and lock mechanism, it's a curiously likeable beast.

It's not going to worry the premier league of ATT, Feather, Ikon or PILS, but for 20 quid delivered UK, for a proper brand new adjustable, it's a steal.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Given we are all gentlemen here, only a few simple rules of engagement are indicated:

- Hold onto the razor for a few days to try it out with your own blades.
- After you have finished with it, clean it, make it presentable, then forward to the next recipient per the list below.
- Sender covers the cost of postage - good old Second Class should suffice.
- Provide some feedback on your experience with the razor on this thread.

Simples - there you have it.

Let's operate 'in good faith' and within the spirit of TSR.

If you fancy having a go, add your name to the list below and copy and paste into your post:

We'll keep it at (an optimistic?) six places for the time being to see how we get on. Once I have six names on the list, we'll be ready to rock 'n' roll and I'll send it to Nr. 1.

Regrettably, UK only folks.

Last edited:
How does it compare to the original?

I had a Russian copy of the Gillette Slim and found it to be slightly more aggressive.

Yes, I would say it is definitely more aggressive than the Super Adjustable. Not as smooth though, which, for me, is the stand out feature of the Gillette. Still and all, it's a pretty nice shave.

Here's a side by side with the real deal on the RHS:

WEFxyrb7bsKTFKvhG5oG515Uyb8Emc6WQuv_T8lfv4AsSxTTJ.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give this to tomorrow night to see if we can get some more names on the list. Regardless, I'll send the Rooskie to Whosthedaddy on Saturday morning as we may as well get the show on the road.

@Whosthedaddy - please PM your details to me accordingly.

Thanks for the offer Nico, but I've already got too many razors I haven't tried yet of my own. Never mind the Standard aluminium is changing my mind about what a DE can be like. Do appreciate the offer, 6 months ago I'd have snapped your hand off.

IMG_20150901_122135_1.jpg Arrived safe and sound!

First impressions, yes can tell build quality and mechanics not the same as a Gillette but does look good none the less.

The Mickey Lee Soapworks samples, nice, will be interesting to see how these work out when scooped and lathered. The Kraken is more my kind of scent, fresh and clean. The Drunken Goat smells like cookie dough.

Thanks for the chance to try it out and watch this space for a review tomorrow

IMG_20150902_073031_1.jpg Ok, first shave with this wee beauty.

I didn't find it aggressive at all despite doing 3 passes on setting 9. I thought I'd start on the highest setting for a benchmark for the next few shaves. Never did it feel like it'd bite or be too aggressive on any of the passes.

The Mickey Lee Soapworks smells great and performed great. I was getting wafts of scent when blooming the small sample in the bowl, lathering and when cleaning the brush at the end. Nice, clean scent, right up my alley.

Nice shave and maybe could have been better but always a trial and error with new products.

MLS The Kraken
Plisson
Russian adjustable (9)
Permasharp blade (0)
Freshwood AS balm.

Tomorrow I'll try the razor with a different soap and see how it goes on changing the settings on the passes.View attachment 14470View attachment 14470

Back
Top Bottom