Closed 'Complete' Pass Around - Carsons Apothecary 5 Star Shaving Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't set so it was a failed experiment. Now in the bathroom, lid tightly closed, ready for a test this morning. I drink my coffee black so no need to open the fridge till I am awake!

Oh! good stuff! I dipped my brush in a tad too far and so had a great volume of yoghurt to paint around. Plenty of everything you want in a lather but not much residual slip due to it being so thick - needed to keep it well hydrated. Good niff if you like chemical oud - I took a couple of pinches of snuff and that sorted that. Overall, I was impressed - but it won't be a regular for me due to the extremely sloppy sloppiness of it. I have stuck a warning label on the lid.

It arrived today. Strange consistency, kind of like paint or really runny custard.

The scent is kind of flowery and not really my thing, but the wife said it smelt nice so a little bonus there.

I dipped the brush in the paint, sorry cream and put it back on its base while I screwed the lid back on and wetted my face and the cream started to run down into the knot. I guess that helped get the cream deep in the brush!

Quick face lather and I noticed pretty much straight away a tingling on my lips. I've found with soaps or creams that irritate my skin that this usually spreads, but not on this occasion. I managed three passes with only the lip tingling and it didn't seem to affect any other part of my face. Probably something in the scent.

I found the lather quite slick and yoghurty and it had a fair amount of residual slickness to me. Certainly enough for the odd touch up without lathering up again .

Post shave my face felt kind of weird after the hot and cold water splash. Not dried out but not the way I usually feel, kind of when running my hand over my face there was resistance. That soon went after my face dried and it feels fine now. A good hour has passed and I haven't used any splash and my face doesn't feel tight or dry. So good post shave feel.

Overall based on the scent, price and slight reaction, I wouldn't buy a tub, but it certainly seems to be good stuff.

Last edited:
1. SeanC
2. Fly3k
3. Globalm*
4. AndyMc133

*currently with

Arrived here this morning just too late for shaving so I'll be trying it tomorrow. How could I forget Carl's warning ( but I did) - nearly had a bath in it when I opened it for a sniff! :) Doesn't smell much like oud to me. i agree with Sean - it smells edible.

AndyMc133 - PM sent.

This will be on it's way to Andy shortly, so here's my review.

Texture.

Liquid, liquid, liquid. BE CAREFUL! If you unscrew the top carelessly it will visit your lap with dastardly intent!

Scent.

The scent is, according to the product description “A traditional middle-eastern aroma lifted by the refreshing notes of Mango and Lemon”. Oud? No. Lemon? No. Mango? Well, maybe, but much more than mango, this is melon. The scent is not unpleasant but is clearly not as described.

Performance.

Here is where things look up. The performance is, in short, remarkable. I have never used anything quite like this. The difficulty, in my very soft water area, lay in getting sufficiently LITTLE of the stuff on my brush. My first attempt was by dipping about 5mm of brush tip into the product. I got enough lather (bowl lathering) to have shaved 3 people. Next attempt was the same bristle-dipping but firmly wiping product off on the container edge. This gave enough for a three-pass shave and some to spare. I finally hit upon the idea of wiping the brush over the film of product on the inside of the lid. This seemed about right.

The build-up of the lather was unusual. I found that as I added water, the contents of the bowl became thicker and more resistant to the brush – quite a strange feel! It took the addition of a substantial amount of water to obtain a ‘normal' lather consistency. The lather produced went straight to creamy without ever passing through frothy and the result was a thick, delightfully-textured cream which could be painted on easily and further thickened with a little face-lathering if wanted. This cream tended to be sticky to the razor unless adequate water was added which I had to do by dipping the brush tips. Shave was very smooth and no weepers in any of my trial shaves. Likewise, no irritation nor reddening of the skin. The lather in the bowl tended to thicken slightly when rested between passes and I worked in a couple of extra drops of water.

After-shave feel was marvellous and I found I needed neither after-shave nor any other conditioner and this, for me, is MOST unusual. I did find the brush needed extra rinsing as the lather seems more adherent and hence less rinse-able than with other products.

One matter of concern, which, I admit, did not affect me, is that this uses methyl-isothiazolinone preservative. This is currently under investigation, has been discontinued by a number of cosmetic makers and look likely to be banned for EU use.

Conclusion.

Gonna get it. Gonna use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom