Closed 'Complete' Pass Around - Carsons Apothecary 5 Star Shaving Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents, it's time for one of Nico's pass arounds again. After the roaring success of the Russian 'Black Beauty' which attracted an unprecedented 4 (four) respondents, we're now going to turn to some software.

I'm a massive fan of Carsons Apothecary 5 Star Shaving Formula, so much so, in fact, that I think it's the finest shaving 'cream' that money can buy. Curiously, however, it's not that well known in this Parish - well, at least not according to this thread if truth be told.

So, I have a tub of Exotic Oud to release into the wild to see what the illuminati think.

As usual, Marquis of Queensberry rules apply - given we are all gentlemen here:

- Hold onto the formula for a few days to try it out with your own gear.
- After you have finished with it, make it presentable, then forward to the next recipient per the list below.
- Sender covers the cost of postage - good old Second Class should suffice.
- Provide some feedback on your experience with the formula on this thread.

Obviously, no wrestling or hugging allowed and definitely no bodily fluids deposited in the formula!

Let's operate 'in good faith' and within the spirit of TSR.

If you fancy having a go, add your name to the list below and copy and paste into your post:

We'll keep it at (an optimistic?) six places for the time being to see how we get on. Once I have six names on the list, we'll be ready to rock 'n' roll and I'll send it to Nr. 1.

Regrettably, UK only folks.

Last edited:
It's arrived and I'm looking forward to trying it his morning.
RM have completely trashed the box, but fortunately the contents have survived intact. I'll sort out a replacement before sending it on its way.

Last edited:
OK review as promised

I approached the Carson's with a little trepidation initially as it was very runny (think pancake mix) and the smell reminded me of a fresh dessert (apricot and cardamom sprang to mind). Usually I let my kids smell my soaps and creams, but not with this one in case they do actually think its a dessert.

For my first shave yesterday, I gently dipped the tips of my damp brush (EJ 23mm Synthetic Silvertip) into the pot and started face lathering. It took a little while to get going, but then 'boom' what a lather. Probably enough for for four passes if I had needed.

Today I varied things a little a dropped 2.5ml from a medicine spoon into the heart of my brush. Probably enough for three passes this time, but exactly the same surge of lather after a little bit of work. As for performance, this is my assessment. I been rotating through Haslinger Meerschlagen and TOBS Cedarwood the days previous, so a decent baseline to work from.

Lathering
A little bit of work required, but outstanding once critical mass is reached. A little goes a long way too.

Cushion
Excellent again. Better than TOBS and on a par with Haslinger

Glide
Beats anything I've ever tried. Yesterday I was using a 5 day old Polsilver SI and today a new one. In both instances my razor just slipped along brilliantly

Skincare
Once again absolutely first rate. My skin was left moisturised and supple. Today I conducted a little experiment and applied no post shave products to test how good it really is and I'm very impresssed.

To sum up an excellent all round cream, but it's glide and skincare qualities are absolutely outstanding. If anybody was ever to run with the crazy combination of R41, 2011 of course, Feather blade plus shim, then this cream might actually make it bearable, it's that good.

Thanks for sharing this one Martin

Last edited:
Great review Sean.

Don't tell anyone, but at the end of the shave, I very often squeeze out the remnants of the Carsons Apothecary lather and simply delight in the lubricity and glide whilst rubbing my hands together... ;)

Mr Carsons says not to worry about the consistency...
carsons_apothecary_22.jpg

"Please note: The consistency of this shave cream will alter dependent upon the ambient temperature that the jar is stored in. This is perfectly normal and is the nature of the formula. Stir well before use. "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom