Claymore

As you say Geordie Shaver, the proof will be in the shave.
Tell me please, is the outer finish as it should be?
'Homemade' is this a reference to the finish inside the head? The outer finish is as good as the Merkur Futur.
Brian | Executive Shaving.

Hi Brian @Executive Shaving , there is a little hole on the guard bar on mine , apart from that the top of the top cap is fine , the underside of the top cap and the underside of the baseplate are okay ,but , not the same level of finish as the rest of the razor , nothing major mind you , but , like a lot of other wet shaver's out there I have OCD when it come's to my razor's so please bear that in mind .
For the price of the razor "I ain't complaining".
If I can wipe the sleep from my eye's at 2am in the morning I will give her a try .
Regard's.

Hi Brian @Executive Shaving , there is a little hole on the guard bar on mine , apart from that the top of the top cap is fine , the underside of the top cap and the underside of the baseplate are okay ,but , not the same level of finish as the rest of the razor , nothing major mind you , but , like a lot of other wet shaver's out there I have OCD when it come's to my razor's so please bear that in mind .
For the price of the razor "I ain't complaining".
If I can wipe the sleep from my eye's at 2am in the morning I will give her a try .
Regard's.
Just a quick review , bearing in mind that this come's from a shaver who has owned and moved on a Cobra Classic , 2 King Cobra's , 2 S/S Mongeese and a Aluminium Mongoose and has always gone for a 4 pass shave to with a DE to get a DFS or BBS shave .
I have found that none of the modern SE razor's really shaved for me and the end result was a degree of irritation on the neck , the Claymore was different , due to the weight of the razor the emphasis was definitely on zero pressure , a case of letting the weight of the razor do the work .
I did a 2 pass shave , I know you got away with one in your video Brian , but , I was never going to get away with a 2 pass BBS shave , this come's from a shaver who always goes for 4 passes , 2 passes and I had a perfectly good presentable shave , not BBS mind you , but , something I have never been able to achieve before in 2 passes and zero irritation .
The handle provided good grip and I had no problem with it .
I am happy with my purchase and for me it out shaves the other modern SE's I have owned and moved on .
I am even beginning to feel the need for a back up Claymore , at the price why not .
Regard's

Last edited:
I've had another very careful look at my Claymore, and I can't see anything that would count as a flaw or imperfection on the outer surfaces when it is assembled (which it does perfectly).

There are some lines and marks on the inner surface of the baseplate, which I needed to inspect with a magnifying glass to find them, but they don't affect the working of the razor and can't be seen when it's assembled. I also have the Kickstarter "first-release" Single Edge by Supply Provision, which is mainly a stainless casting. If I examine that very, very closely, I can detect minute marks etc.

I think the quality of cast stainless razors (and zamak ones) is largely a question of careful inspection and control i.e. an awareness that not all may be perfect, and may need to be culled, and not sent out.

However, both razors work, and, for me, that's what counts above all else.

Having recently got my long-awaited Wolfman, and a Barbaros TR-1, I can safely assert that I am a fan of beautifully-machined stainless razors (also tightly quality-controlled). The downside is that their combined cost would buy four or more Claymores.

The only big enhancement of the Claymore I would consider is a mirror-polished top cap option.

Hi The Geordie Shaver, I'm delighted to learn that you rate The Claymore above the likes of the Cobra and Mongoose.
I have now used mine every day now for two weeks. Zero irritation, zero razor burn and a close daily shave. Exactly what we set out to achieve.
Thank you for yoru feedback.
Brian | Executive Shaving

I've had another very careful look at my Claymore, and I can't see anything that would count as a flaw or imperfection on the outer surfaces when it is assembled (which it does perfectly).

There are some lines and marks on the inner surface of the baseplate, which I needed to inspect with a magnifying glass to find them, but they don't affect the working of the razor and can't be seen when it's assembled. I also have the Kickstarter "first-release" Single Edge by Supply Provision, which is mainly a stainless casting. If I examine that very, very closely, I can detect minute marks etc.

I think the quality of cast stainless razors (and zamak ones) is largely a question of careful inspection and control i.e. an awareness that not all may be perfect, and may need to be culled, and not sent out.

However, both razors work, and, for me, that's what counts above all else.

Having recently got my long-awaited Wolfman, and a Barbaros TR-1, I can safely assert that I am a fan of beautifully-machined stainless razors (also tightly quality-controlled). The downside is that their combined cost would buy four or more Claymores.

The only big enhancement of the Claymore I would consider is a mirror-polished top cap option.
Hi Ferrum,
We have plans to offer different finishes in due course.
The nature of investment casting is such that buyers should be aware that the internal finish may not be absolutely perfect but the outer finishes will be very good indeed if not flawless. If you look closely on the baseplate under where the blade protrudes you'll see a machined edge. This edge is milled after the casting process as we wanted absolute accuracy for the blade gap. This milling process adds considerably to the cost of the head. We wanted The Claymore to be affordable and investment casting the head is by far our best option. The handles are lathe turned.
Thank you for reviewing The Claymore.

Just finished my morning shave with the Claymore. A great shave - smooth, comfortable and BBS. I am finding it slightly easier to get a smooth result in the awkward spots with the Claymore than with the Mongoose. That's down to the tiny bit of extra aggression, I think.

I think that the initial impression of a slightly agricultural look is down to the nature of the steel and the bead-blasted finish. When I put the Claymore next to the Mongoose. I see the 'goose as grey but the Claymore seems to have a yellow caste which induces an unconscious feeling that the razor is 'non-metallic'. This is nonsense of course and any doubts I had over the looks have been swept away by the performance and value side of the equation.

I would like to see a polished version available in the future at a reasonable premium. I think a polished Claymore at £100 would sell like hotcakes.

EDIT: Just crossed with Brian's post there. Pleased to hear different finishes are planned for the future.

Last edited:
Hi The Sneak,
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you got a smooth, comfortable BBS from The Claymore.
We have plans for alternative finishes but right now we are ultra busy with a few initiatives including a forthcoming launch of a Bay Rum Shaving Cream. We will run with The Claymore in its present guise for a few months then probably after the Christmas frenzy which sees open 6 days weekly and working 12 hour shifts we will sit down and look at some options.

Finally received mine today and must say the build quality looks great. I transferred a Feather Pro Super from my ATT SE1 with five shaves on it to the Claymore. I want to use it at least Friday and Saturday before commenting. Compared to the ATT SE1 the head is huge.
Glad to hear that The Claymore arrived with you. Let me know how it goes after you've used it a few times please.
Brian | Executive Shaving.

After two days worth of shaves using a used Feather Pro Super I will give Brian an A+++ for developing an outstanding shaver. This is one heavy raw piece of metal that delivers the goods at a very reasonable price. Comparing it to my ATT SE1 which is a good razor this one is superior. I just love the feel and looks of it. It is just that simple. The bead blast finish is spot on and the grip is outstanding. You just feel very confident when using this razor. I want to thank Brian to bringing this razor to market.

After two days worth of shaves using a used Feather Pro Super I will give Brian an A+++ for developing an outstanding shaver. This is one heavy raw piece of metal that delivers the goods at a very reasonable price. Comparing it to my ATT SE1 which is a good razor this one is superior. I just love the feel and looks of it. It is just that simple. The bead blast finish is spot on and the grip is outstanding. You just feel very confident when using this razor. I want to thank Brian to bringing this razor to market.
I was thinking of the ATT SE1 as a potential purchase and was interested to see your thoughts regarding the Claymore, can you tell me what makes it superior apart from the price?

I had a 3 pass shave this morning with a Pro Super too , I may be wrong but I think Brian said somewhere that the razor was not designed for the Pro Super's , I had to break the blade to remove it , the shave was outstanding , Brian @Executive Shaving if you read this am I right and what about future model's being able to accept the Super's too ?(although in hindsight it is not so much a problem of the razor accepting the blade as removing it)

I was thinking of the ATT SE1 as a potential purchase and was interested to see your thoughts regarding the Claymore, can you tell me what makes it superior apart from the price?
The ATT SE1 feels more aggressive using a Feather Pro Super but the Claymore using the same identical blade (blade transfer from the ATT SE to the Claymore after 5 shaves) shaves closer and is not rough but feels smoother) IMHO

Back
Top Bottom